It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK General Election - What are the issues?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Guys, the topic here is politics.

Lets stick to it please?

Thanks in advance

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The media can spam the public for a few weeks then poof...all the focus is on something new. Anyway i'd like to see an overhaul of parliament,scrap the house of lords, de-privatize bank of england and have a more strict approach to monetary policy(and who controls it), get out of the EU until it get's it's act together, smaller and more streamlined government, closed borders or atleast a very small fixed amount of immigration allowed until the public infrastructure is overhauled.. That's it for now.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
reply to post by stumason

Its me, and thanks

I have been ambiguous for a while, and am quite shocked at the difference in treatment from being ambiguous, to being me but that is off topic.

Anyway, as previous goverments have been on a program to sell off our soveriengty, the queen also being complicent. I think that unless the grass roots englishman wakes up and purposes to regain england, then we are doomed to be a bit player in a euro superstate. I just wish the so called men of england would rescue our identity away from those who through the failed experiment of multiculturism, and political correctness, diluted our nation...

Ok, so i am jewish, but my family have been here for 2000 years, so I am jewish by birth, but english through the grace of G-d, and family members including myself have served in the military so have more than earned a say...

We are a tolerant nation, but the country is full. And I am fed up with liberal PC morons who are soo offended by their own country, that celebrating christmas is almost a hate crime.....

Come on guys, you who do not hold your manhood cheap, take back our green and pleasant land from our euro opressors.

The immigrants are not the problem, the unelected EU is...

[edit on 053030p://f01Saturday by Selahobed]

[edit on 053030p://f27Saturday by Selahobed]

If you were running for election I would vote for you without hesitation! LOL

The issue that everybody complains about above all else is IMMIGRATION! That's why the BNP is gathering support by the day. If a main stream party had the balls to tackle the problem head on then they would win the next General Election hands down.

Which Service were you with Selahobed (I'm guessing WRENS?)

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I'm dreading the upcomming elections, the Malcolm Tuckers of the world "Just #ing do it! Otherwise you’ll find yourself in some medieval war zone in the Caucasus with your arse in the air, trying to persuade a group of men in balaclavas that sustained sexual violence is not the #ing way forward!” Any election wherby the Daily Mail and the Sun are in Cahoots is worrying so without a doubt the xenophobia will be cranked up a notch or too, already seen it here on this site, "I'm jewish, i desreve to be here, but the others can bugger off". Immigration is always trotted out like a used prom dress every 5 years, waste of time not even a policy.

The War's and the Economy will be the other big stories as the election looms. I can see more poor soliders used to highlight how useless the government is.

Personally I would vote for any party that has a real discussion on the impact of Peak Oil, while we run around arguing about the copehagen treaty and Cap and Trade it wont bloody matter much longer when the oil price goes into orbit.

Any policies to break the country down to local laws, local enegry, local shopping will not happen, but it has to be future.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
There are TEN BIG ISSUES facing the British Electorate...

1.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
2.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
3.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
4.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
5.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
6.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
7.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
8.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
9.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.
10.How to get Labour and Gordon Brown out at absolutely ANY PRICE.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
THE FROG IN THE FRYING PAN...

I am British. In the mid-1990's, it became clear that Labour would get in. I held what I thought was a very pessimistic view, but it turned out to be way over-optimistic at what Labour would do.

In consequence, in the dying day of the John Major Government, I emigrated to Canada.

ALthough I live here, I still have only a British citizenship.

As I have not a daily contact with the High Street and daily grind in London, I now see things in a very different perspective to all of you.

Labour's policies are no different to those of hard line Fascist party with the sole exception that they do discriminate again any particular sex or race. In Labour's Britain, everyone has the same treatment as the Jews in pre-war Nazi Germany.

To me, Remembrance Day celebrations are a farce and an insult. Millions of people died in appauling conditions in the trenches and in the Blitz to live in a FREE COUNTRY, not one where how you put out your own garbage is strictly controlled, the state has cameras in people's homes, your neighbour is paid to spy on you and denounced you and where you need photo ID just to go for a dump. This is NOT WHAT THEY DIED FOR.

The principles of the Magna Carta stood for nearly a thousand years before Gordon and Tony shredded it and incinerated it.

WHen I was at school in the 1970's, someone gave me a National Front leaflet. When you examine their policies, you quickly find that they were little different to those of New Labour now.

It is only becuase all of you are frogs being heated in the frying pan, that you cannot see what I do. FOr if you did, Labour would be recognised asbeing not in the slightest representative of working class people, no0one in their right mind would vote for these hardline fascists, and if Labour was re-elected, people would take to the streets in a bloody revolution.

But you all DO live there and have become numbed to the drip-drip loss of your liberties and continue to treat Labour as a force to be reasoned with.

At the end of the day, Labour gets elected as it has a give-and-take relationship with the electorate - so long as your prepared to keep giving up your liberty, your hopes, your dreams and your pensions, so Labour will be happy to keep taking them from you.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

And how are any others any different ? Why get rid of Labour, there all the same, there is no democracy in this country.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by queuepolitely

You have hit on the big problem. Does it matter who gets asked by The Queen to form the next Government? Will there be any substantitive difference if The Tories are elected?

posted on Jan, 25 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
How much will the Iraqi inquiry be an issue when Prime Minister Brown goes to the country?

And how strange that Brown will give evidence before the general election? Does this mean that the Labour party does not see this as an issue or they know they have lost alright and they might as well get everything out in the open so they can start again?

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Labour must know damm well that they have lost this election,its written all over their collective faces every time they go on TV.From the economy to the war,there going to get a good thrashing

As for what the issues will be,I expect the NHS will be main priority between the three parties and our public debt being another

I expect the labour machine to smear the tory party,call them Eton toffs who love fox hunting and say their still the nasty party-so imergration ties in there too>I also think this is going to be a dirty election and labour are going to try and get their media puppets in high places to dance to their tune

To be honest their all the same,just an illusion for us that we have a say in how our country is run.They are ment to serve our interests,but with the MP's expense travisty we saw many to be the freeloaders they realy are!

Trouble is Labour dont deserve any more time in office,they have done enough damage.I dont envy the next PM,he realy has been handed a poisoned challice

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Personally, where to start, the whole system is a shambles, the policies are confused and poorly implemented, we neither seem to be actively seeking peace or war, but rather stuck in limbo on a whole host of topics, and it is that limbo is causing deepening divisions..

We may talk about all the issues but the establishment will gerrymander the election to suit their needs.. the media will guide, and the people will follow, the result will be what they expect... what more can I say on how flawed I feel the system has become.

We'll talk, discuss, come up with viable, practical solutions... our voices will be listened to, but we already know they won't action any of what they'll promise, not once elected, not in reality... their will be some reason why they can't follow through, one excuse will follow the other, and we will be back to square one... all that will change is the colour of the party in power..

In all honesty, since I can't seem to put a rizzla paper between the big 3, dumb, dumber and dumbest. I wish I could vote for the monster raving loony party.. since really, I feel there is no where else to place my vote.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Labour must know damm well that they have lost this election,its written all over their collective faces every time they go on TV.From the economy to the war,there going to get a good thrashing

And the result is that everytime I hear someone on the radio or TV talking about an issue, they bash the opposition parties rather than answer the question that has been asked. Just how big a thrashing do you thing Labour will get?

As for what the issues will be,I expect the NHS will be main priority between the three parties and our public debt being another

But is the NHS the main priority for the voters? I do not think so. It's the economy that will be the main priority.

I expect the labour machine to smear the tory party,call them Eton toffs who love fox hunting and say their still the nasty party-so imergration ties in there too>I also think this is going to be a dirty election and labour are going to try and get their media puppets in high places to dance to their tune

And this is suppose to encourage us that we should trust these people to run the country. I want to hear serious debate on the issues that we want to here about, not spin and sound bites. For the election campaign, all interviewers should be forcing answers to questions asked and not accept spin and sound bites.

To be honest their all the same,just an illusion for us that we have a say in how our country is run.They are ment to serve our interests,but with the MP's expense travisty we saw many to be the freeloaders they realy are!

A well made point and what choice do we have? Not bother to vote?

Trouble is Labour dont deserve any more time in office,they have done enough damage.I dont envy the next PM,he realy has been handed a poisoned challice

And if the next PM is not Labour, they will be able to blame this current Labour Government for at least the next 2 years, so this may not be as bad for the next PM as you think.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Personally, where to start, the whole system is a shambles, the policies are confused and poorly implemented, we neither seem to be actively seeking peace or war, but rather stuck in limbo on a whole host of topics, and it is that limbo is causing deepening divisions..

Because we the voters have lost control and our MPs no longer think thay are accountable. They are more interested in what they can get out of being an MP

We may talk about all the issues but the establishment will gerrymander the election to suit their needs.. the media will guide, and the people will follow, the result will be what they expect... what more can I say on how flawed I feel the system has become.

And the establishment will continue to gerrymander the election until we find a way to take both control and accountability. Of course, what can we expect from the media. They will do what is good for their profits, not their readers.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Immigration is a big problem and a lot of the Country believe this as well. This is why the BNP are putting the issue to the forefront. People actually believe that someone understands their concerns and start supporting BNP in droves.
The other parties have their own agenda,s and seem to pay no attention to what the electorate actually want.
Its all a joke.
Wish id moved to Canada when i had the chance 20 years ago.
The economy is screwed.
Iraq and Afghanistan are disaster zones. (Remind me please, young boys being killed everyday for what??)
I dont actuallt think winning and election is that hard!

DO WHAT THE PEOPLE WHO PAY YOU WANT YOU TO DO.....

Cant be that hard can it.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
seeing as we can expect a Conservative gorvernment after the election. The question to ask is, will the Conservatives will be good for you and your community?

I live in a Tory stronghold, so i don't get much say in the situation. I'm the only leftie in the villiage.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Will be good for us,Robert Key has been my local MP for a long time-I think hes standing down but I dont think the Libs have got a chance-and as for Labour!lol Never seen a labour man canvas on my door step,would like to as he would be told where to go very quickly

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

They will make a few short term changes to make the public happy but it will be business as usual in the long run imo. The British public are still caught in the three party system. The only time we will see a good change of direction in Britain is when a viable fourth party is elected into office.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Martin Bain

I completely agree, however, I feel one of the real fundamental issues as to how this situation came about is that we, the voters, do not have the will to resolve the problems placed in front of us.

We do not have the will as a nation to stay in or get out of the EU
We do not have the will as a nation to persue the war on terror or persue a peaceful solution
We do not have the will as a nation to let banks fail or bail them out

Tho we do have the will as a nation to object to an MP claiming expenses for a 99p bath plug

If we do not have the will to resolve the issues that face this nation, how are we to ensure the government serves us and not themselves.

E.g. if some figures quoted are correct, 90% of the people in this nation object to the Lisbon treaty.. yet apart from a few words of outrage, there does not appear to be a national outrage, there is no national will to demand a referendum, which there should be if 90% of the people object to being sold out to the EU.

In my opinion if we continue down this path to the next election, the same lack of will from us the voters will translate into a similar situation, as demonstrated in the way the Tories dropped the promise of a referendum on the EU.

Does any one really think that if 90% of people truly objected to the Lisbon treaty, no party would be elected without at least promising a referendum..

We, the voters complain that they are not doing what we the voters have asked them to do.. yet the fault lies in us the voters, and until we find the national will to ensure they do their jobs, until we ensure they serve us instead of themselves we will continue down this path.

One of the reasons I see as a root cause of the problem is the establishment and media utilising a multitude of pressure groups to divide our national will into a multitude of small voices, all of which goes towards the greater goal of eradicating that national will..

Until we can find a way of resolving that situation, of regaining our voice and believing in ourselves, any and all governments we choose will do as they please.

off to bed now

posted on Jan, 30 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I would bet a lot of money(if i had it) That if BNP won the vote They would
bring the GREAT back in Great Britain.

now the majority of people hate them because of propaganda from other
parties, in fact they are scared of BNP winning the Vote because they know
if they had the chance to prove themselves the majority of the population
would probably want them to stay.

if you read their Policies all of them and not just on immigration they would
make this country a much better place the economy would hit the roof.

our country would be safer in an event of a war or terrorist attack "read
defense policy"

they would boost education as i know as i have only left school about a
year and a half ago the new education system is a load of crap.

I could go on and put more detail into this but i haven't got enough time
if you are from the UK take a look at BNP's policies AND remember not
just immigration now if you do read them all tell me how BNP wouldnt be
best for this country.

BNP Policies

- To Many Lies -

posted on Jan, 31 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I agree very much with what you say but I feel people have the will there is just not an understanding of the way to go about making that change so they dont engage and dont bother. TPTB have been very clever in creating a two party franchise and ensuring that divide and conquer is rife, just look at the post below yours !

How many people do you know have ever contacted thier MP, organised a movement, become part of a movement? The British public have been manipulated by the press and media into the 'british way' we just get on with things, head down dont complain thats the British way.

The channel to market is owned by TPTB so we have to keep working to spread information, organisations such as 38Degrees, Democracy now etc to spread messages and raise awarness. Groups will come together and I truly believe that the message is getting out and activism will start increasing, there are more disasters to come and the public elastic band will snap, I just hope when it does its channeld in the right way and not towards the BNP or similar as happend in the late 1920's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join