It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Rep: Cheney should face prosecution

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Are we a Country of Laws?

Most people would say "Hell yes", based on our Constitution and Bill of Rights, but is that really true?

BOSTON—U.S. Rep. Michael Capuano is suggesting former Republican Vice President Dick Cheney face prosecution for allowing the waterboarding of terror suspects.

Capuano (cap-yoo-AH'-noh) said Monday it appears that the orders to subject al-Qaida terror suspects to waterboarding could be traced to Cheney's office. If that's the case, Capuano said Cheney should be prosecuted. He said those carrying out the orders shouldn't be scapegoated for obeying executive instructions. Capuano made the comments during a forum among the Democratic candidates for the late Edward Kennedy's seat on WGBH's Greater Boston. Capuano is vying for the Democratic nomination with City Year co-founder Alan Khazei (KAY'-zee), Attorney General Martha Coakley and Boston Celtics co-owner Stephen Pagliuca (pah-lee-OOH'-kah).

Hopefully, the increasing calls for this man to be put on trial for his many crimes against this Nation, it's Citizens and humanity as a whole, will be heard.

www.boston.com...

edited to include source article.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by Rhetoric]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Wow! A Massachusetts Democrat wanting to hurt a prominent Republican? That is a surprise!

Even if Michael did get this on the floor, he'd probably miss the vote for it.

Michael Capuano ranks 10th in Congress for skipping votes

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I think that if this would cause him any inconvenience at all, it would be worth the trouble.
He probably wouldn't even be required to attend the show.

"Are we a country of Laws?"
Nothing but; for "most people".

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Dick Cheney is the epitome of the powers that be. Dick the Dick Cheney who as part of the military industrial complex continue to profit from these undeclared unconstitutional wars.

But when it was time for them to pick up a rifle and fight for our country the Dick ran and hid behind 5 deferments. Yes 5 (FIVE) !

Republican or Democrat this isn't what the founding fathers intended for this great Nation.

I will give this nobody representative credit though for speaking out against the powers that be that the Dick, Dick Cheney is intrinsically part of.

Dick !

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I'd love to see the bastich fry for every son and daughter he's sent to be killed in his wars of profit. Anyone who thinks the evil, the cancer that is Dick Cheney is a matter of political preference.. Well, God help you.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhetoric

good man there! all of those f**in nuts should be locked up for life including that idiot Bush

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhetoric

Most people would say "Hell yes", based on our Constitution and Bill of Rights, but is that really true?

BOSTON—U.S. Rep. Michael Capuano is suggesting former Republican Vice President Dick Cheney face prosecution for allowing the waterboarding of terror suspects.

Capuano (cap-yoo-AH'-noh) said Monday it appears that the orders to subject al-Qaida terror suspects to waterboarding could be traced to Cheney's office. If that's the case, Capuano said Cheney should be prosecuted. He said those carrying out the orders shouldn't be scapegoated for obeying executive instructions. Capuano made the comments during a forum among the Democratic candidates for the late Edward Kennedy's seat on WGBH's Greater Boston. Capuano is vying for the Democratic nomination with City Year co-founder Alan Khazei (KAY'-zee), Attorney General Martha Coakley and Boston Celtics co-owner Stephen Pagliuca (pah-lee-OOH'-kah).

Hopefully, the increasing calls for this man to be put on trial for his many crimes against this Nation, it's Citizens and humanity as a whole, will be heard.

www.boston.com...

Water boarding is not torture, ask any American Vietnam POW what real torture is because that's torture.
Thanks,
TT

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Wow! A Massachusetts Democrat wanting to hurt a prominent Republican? That is a surprise!

This is not a republican -vs- democrat thing.

This is a scumbag criminal -vs- domestic and international law thing. Bush 43 and Cheney should be tried for crimes and war-crimes .... and then publicly executed.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Finally, finally .

like rats hysterically fleeing a burning barn.

Is freedom ringing...white dove singing...

whiskey for my men....beer for my horses

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I wish this could get a 1000 flags and a 1000 stars

this is all I want for Christmas

above the law my white ass.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
time to rise out of the wheelchair and face the music.

party over, fat lady starting to sing.

to bad you have no hair, your scalp would be worth millions....

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by texastig

The judgement quoted the 1958 ICRC commentary on the Fourth Geneva Convention: Every person in enemy hands must be either a prisoner of war and, as such, be covered by the Third Convention; or a civilian covered by the Fourth Convention. Furthermore, "There is no intermediate status; nobody in enemy hands can be outside the law,"

en.wikipedia.org...

Torture, according to the United Nations Convention Against Torture, is: ...any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him, or a third person, information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in, or incidental to, lawful sanctions. —UN Convention Against Torture

en.wikipedia.org...

For all intent and purpose, it was torture. And it is illegal. Anyone who argues that is an idiot.

The only question is, if it was justified.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Do the oath keepers have plan to persecute cheney?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

good one

and a real quick trial, then outside so all can watch

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Well, doesn't that response dodge the issue. How does it feel to be a knee-jerk apologist for a war criminal?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by texastig

Originally posted by Rhetoric

www.boston.com...

Water boarding is not torture, ask any American Vietnam POW what real torture is because that's torture.
Thanks,
TT

The only problem with that is that the US govt executed Japanese soldiers who water boarded American POWs.

The Nuremberg trials determined "just following orders" was not an acceptable defense..

I don't care what piece of multi colored cloth on a stick these people rally under, or what the patches on their uniforms look like.. bush, cheney, politicians and anyone in the CIA / military / mercenaries who water boarded should face a similar fair & open trail.. and if found guilty the same death sentence... it's the consistent thing to do.

This planet needs a Nuremberg 2.0 "Justice douche" to cleanse the bush / cheney neo-clown stink that lingers in DC.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I pray I see the day where Bush, Cheney, and Rove are put on trial and then if the evidence stands up in court... jailed and executed. Won't even happen because this country is a sham and a joke but I still hold out hope because of all the patriotic non-sense they drilled into my head when I was a kid.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

thats funny because....of the top 10 people who skipped votes:

5 are republican
5 are democrat

...so what exactly is your point?

source

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I always think your leaders represent your country and your collective mind as a country. Cheney is pure evil yes, but is that because america is too?

When has america ever been a good country really?

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
cmone water bording is a college prank its not torture.

and you voted for obama who frauded his way over hillary to be the dnc candidate with the help of acorn?

wow your a complete anti american idiot

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join