It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hip Hop is raising our children to be ignorant and racist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I agree with your statement about the commercial Hiphop from america. But with your statement that Hiphop is generally bad i cannot agree.
I live in hamburg, germany.
Since i´m ten i am a insider in the Hiphop scene.
I am rapping, beatboxing and producing Hiophop since 1996.
If you look into Hiphop´s history you can see that it raised in the late seventies. The biggest reason was resistance of the youth!
As for the issue that big rappers talk about illuminati and else i think they only want to give YOU hints to this topic.

have ever hard music from crews like "Immortal technique" or "Looptroop" from sweden?
There is a huge truth movement inside the hiphop scene!
And i for myself use this kind of music to reach the youth to tell the truth!!!

peace!

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
once upon a time rock (and rap) music were about rebelllion. The problem is once the record companies found out it sells they immediately flood the market with garbage artists that "look cool"but have no substance or message.

Listen to the dead kennedys, then compare their message to, say Green Day. Or public enemy to 50 cents. What we really need in this country is music and art education.

I agree with the OP that most of todays' rap is pure BS with a horrible 40hz thump that travels through any wall from great distances. When someone pulls up next to me blasting bass I get a visceral reaction and I swear if I had a hand grenade I would toss it in. That thumping literally makes me sick.

Democracy is a fine thing except when it comes to the arts, we'd be better off if it were a meritocratic environment that rewards talent and creativity instead of looks and charisma.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hmmmm, The actual hip hop music genre is doing it?! Wow, that's deep.
Sure it's not the parents or their environment contributing. What does indie rock do to kids?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I have to disagree. My kids listen to hip hop and as a parent I checked it out and guess what? I like a lot of it. Says the middle aged white guys.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Never Despise

People conplained that Elvis was going to ruin kids with his hip gyrations.

The issue is slightly more complex, but music and popular media has been used over the last 60 years or so to influence behavior and political opinion and it has been done quite effectively.

So, there are many things to worry about and music and its messages are among them.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
there's a new mentality in some music and it reflects the world and its problems its the kids that grew up with punk rock and hip hop and didn't ever care what any one else thinks and the vulgarisms are only for attention and rebellion check out some video hed pe

[edit on 26-11-2009 by snoob]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Interesting post although i think the title suggest a one sided view of hip hop. hip hop isnt music, rap is music, hip hop is the culture. It is an expression of people that live hip hop, be it rap, graffiti, beat box, body popping, break dancing and generally anything related to the hip hop culture. I would agree that the mainstream have taken advantage of this culture and used it to build a business which is marketed toward the youth in a negative light ie money , sex and drugs but there is another side to hip hop and rap that the mainstream do not see one which is bringing light to the masses. It is through the forum of hip hop and the expression of rap that many visionaries and poets are bringing the messages regarding the new world order and the illuminati to the attention of many people all over the world. Their are many underground artists that have worked tierlessly againts the powers that be to expose their plan of world domination so to brand hip hop as a whole a negative thing in my opinion is wrong.

Please listen to the music in my post

The Powers That Be "Want" You To Hear This!!! (Education and Media forum)

It is what some would class as rap music but it is music with a real message, one that is very thought provoking and one which aims to raise awareness in those they may not have heard about the whole conspiracy or new world order agenda.

Remeber that all things have an equal and opposite balance.

if something appears extream then there is usually something equally valuble and worth considering at the other end of the spectrum.

Peace and blessings
spirit

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Good thread.

I also used to love rap, and also death metal. What can I say - I was an angry kid, and to me, in an abusive household where denial was dogma, it was validating to hear echos of my emotions from abroad.

On the other hand, my love of hip hop also led this white boy to get involved with a dance group in high school, and that was something that truly made me feel good. I looooved to dance. Now, my knees just creak to the beat.

In terms of the gangsta rap, I agree that it's having a negative influence. Yes, most kids who hear it won't turn into gang bangers (most of them are probably middle class kids), but it's hard to argue that it has no influence. The data is pretty clear in terms of watching television, insofar as kids who watch shows with lots of casual sex, have more sex. And kids who watch more violence, commit more violence. I'm not in favor of government censorship, but it's observable and measurable.

Chasing it down would be like a doctor chasing symptoms in a complicated illness. I see this as a modern symptom of a greater disease. We are a culture that embraces, even idolizes, selfishness and aggression. Maybe it's the flip side of a culture that has made every attempt to throw off the shackles of previous societal restrictions. Perhaps the pendulum has swung too far to the other side of the issue.

I was a teacher for about a decade, and it's sad to see how lost kids really are today. The society simply doesn't give a crap about kids. Doesn't care about the elderly, the homeless, etc. Sure, there's many charitable souls, but greed is so interwoven into the fabric of our nation, that it is rendered a palliative treatment, like a cool washcloth on the forehead of a man dying from a fever.

I don't know what the answer is, but I believe it begins with watching for cracks in the system, and being opportunistic in terms of reasserting the family - people - as more important than business, or anything else. It's entirely upside down to me that we wind up spending more times at jobs (that most people hate) with quasi-strangers, than with the people we love. It's fundamentally wrong on some basic, primitive level. We're no happier without our pack than is a dog.

Dunno.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mplsbookworm
Yes, there will be some that debate and call me racist. Whatever. The funny part is how people complain about education and culture but watch hip hop videos popular music.

I used to love gangster rap, hip hop and urban music. I actually was a maker of music. Then...thankfully...I grew up. I listen to music today and get disgusted. A bunch of rich jerks with unlimited resources yapping about money cars and hoes while staring into the camera....people sing along and get damn near brainwashed.

The truth is most of these jerks were ugly LOOSERS in the hood and NEVER had nothing and they will say all of this crap in their songs because it is newly acquired. Drop it to the floor, open up your legs, pop a mofo quick...give me that ass...titties everywhere...got that ice..got that bling...roll that whip...BLAH BLAH BLAH. Then parents wonder why their kids grow up with a false sense of reality wanting to be rappers. Then it is wondered why kids are dropping out of school and selling drugs when TV is raising these damn kids. It is DISGUSTING!!!!! Then you hear people complain that they cant get a job because the "man" is holding them back. WTF!!!!! Stop playing play station and turn off BET and read DUMB A$$!!

Now...NO I am not racist. I am half black. But I am rasing young girls and a young man and I cant fathom allowing them to hear that crap without telling them what they are listening to. GARBAGE. Mind trash. Although there is ALWAYS good music in any genre but most of it is MADE to brainwash into a state of stupidity. How these fools even got to where they are is another topic but I have a problem when these fools yell crap about a black president while rapping about their AK and 50k chain. Stupid. What does Obama being black have to do with their success level. If the plan is to rap our country into a state of blackness I will pass. Would rather live in wonderland. I dont want to live in a country dominated by any race why would I agree with black domination after soo many years of racism? IDIOTIC!!!

I am open to the ATS hate process and could care less about any discredit attempts. This was my way to vent about the BS I seen today while visiting my daughters school. If you dont like it....Hey...Ill bake you a batch of cookies. Im not here to please you...Im trying to raise productive children...not insecure hoochies and hoes.

Most rap, yes. Some rap on the other hand is doing the exact opposite.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
The majority, if not all, of mainstream, commerically promoted music is pants.

There are many highly superior hip hop artists who are given no airtime, no publicity because they have integrity and are not just manufactured to jump on the bandwagon. Going back a few years but, Lords of the Underground and The Goats are examples in point.

And, The Coup, who # on everyone else in that genre from a great height.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by shamhat]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Haven't you guys heard of Immortal Technique?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Hip hop is by far not the problem. If you look at all "rap" there are many genres within the genre.

Rappers that speak the truth can only be understood by those who care about truth. Most people don't. It also takes a complex mind to understand a complex message.

Bottom line is there is a much bigger market for simplistic messages, so that's what they sell.

Also you could blame economics if you start what's called root cause analysis. Those who have nothing value what they see the rich with. While in reality the rich value many things other than stuff But never seem to show that to the poor.(many reasons for that too)

Basically Hip hop never was or will be the real problem. It's much much deeper than most will admit to. Hip hop is merely a convenient scapegoat.

I know my post is pretty jumbled but that is the way issues like these are tangled up.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
A perfect example is this website. The most "popular" posters on ats usually have big flamboyant avatars. The same way popular rappers need expensive cars and $500 shoes. I can guarantee If I created an avatar I'd have more avid readers despite the content of my posts.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mplsbookworm

Yep....and movies teach people how to kill...
And books inspire rape...

And nobody takes personal responsibility and then an entire genre of music gets blamed for the problems of society.

ANY mainstream music is garbage , and, in particular music videos, are full of mixed and immoral messages.

Consume, try and get rich, be fashionable...look thin and pretty.

People have got to look in side themselves for answers and think for themselves a little more.

For every misogynistic, racist and ignorant rap/hip-hop track you can come up with... i can come with with a positive/conscious and philosophical one.

I hate people who tar all things with the same brush.

It's ignorant.

[edit on 26/11/09 by blupblup]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
Hmmmm, The actual hip hop music genre is doing it?! Wow, that's deep.
Sure it's not the parents or their environment contributing. What does indie rock do to kids?

Yes...parents are doing it. But when there are no parents to raise a child regardless of reason, our children are in front of the television sets no matter who we blame. And because they are in front of the television, playing video games and watching videos, they are being raised by these jerks. I see this everyday. I understand if you dont and you dont have experience with death and murder in urban neighborhoods, but I DO. I have lived this and seen murder and death and the way these artists act while un supervised kids watch, is disgusting.

Yeah, there are good artists out there. I wont take that away from them. I personally refrain. I dont have the time to search for anti illuminati music but do respect it and have heard it....I would just rather read and have my kids do the same.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I have to disagree. My kids listen to hip hop and as a parent I checked it out and guess what? I like a lot of it. Says the middle aged white guys.

This may not apply to your children or yourself. It applies to my children because they identify with it. Are your children subjected to gang bangers or have they known one that has murdered? Are they likely to want to become a hip hop rapper? I am not sure this is the case for you and your children. With that being said I am happy to see that your children go unaffected, as mine do. But some dont. And that is the reason for my post.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by spirit777child
Interesting post although i think the title suggest a one sided view of hip hop. hip hop isnt music, rap is music, hip hop is the culture. It is an expression of people that live hip hop, be it rap, graffiti, beat box, body popping, break dancing and generally anything related to the hip hop culture. I would agree that the mainstream have taken advantage of this culture and used it to build a business which is marketed toward the youth in a negative light ie money , sex and drugs but there is another side to hip hop and rap that the mainstream do not see one which is bringing light to the masses. It is through the forum of hip hop and the expression of rap that many visionaries and poets are bringing the messages regarding the new world order and the illuminati to the attention of many people all over the world. Their are many underground artists that have worked tierlessly againts the powers that be to expose their plan of world domination so to brand hip hop as a whole a negative thing in my opinion is wrong.

Please listen to the music in my post

The Powers That Be "Want" You To Hear This!!! (Education and Media forum)

It is what some would class as rap music but it is music with a real message, one that is very thought provoking and one which aims to raise awareness in those they may not have heard about the whole conspiracy or new world order agenda.

Remeber that all things have an equal and opposite balance.

if something appears extream then there is usually something equally valuble and worth considering at the other end of the spectrum.

Peace and blessings
spirit

Yes, my posting does represent my view of hip hop, isnt that the purpose of individual posting? I state my opinion which I see undebatable. I am sorry, I have been there and done that with the music industry. I have heard demos and heard rap that is enlightening. But I am an artist myself and dont need to be musically motivated to build and understanding. Not my thing. I will always represent my feelings because that is what I am a master of...ME!

[edit on 11/27/09 by mplsbookworm]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Yep....and movies teach people how to kill...
And books inspire rape...

And nobody takes personal responsibility and then an entire genre of music gets blamed for the problems of society.

ANY mainstream music is garbage , and, in particular music videos, are full of mixed and immoral messages.

Consume, try and get rich, be fashionable...look thin and pretty.

People have got to look in side themselves for answers and think for themselves a little more.

For every misogynistic, racist and ignorant rap/hip-hop track you can come up with... i can come with with a positive/conscious and philosophical one.

I hate people who tar all things with the same brush.

It's ignorant.

[edit on 26/11/09 by blupblup]

You hate people who tar all things with the same brush? It is ignorant? What is tar? lol...Im ignorant? So now you are saying you hate me and I am supposed to even consider you a factor in a topic about raising kids. So go tell your kids or a kid you know that you read a post from a loving woman who disagrees with the way music is impacting our children because it hurts their judgment and possibly their future. Tell them I am horrible. Tell them I am here to hurt them. Why not...Im the ignorant one right?

You can sit and tell me your second hand stories about music and how you disagree..blah blah blah. Kids could care less about the new underground hip hop album being released. They dont LIKE IT!!!! Do you not see who sells records? Our children LIKE THIS CRAP not your demo CD.

I get personally bothered with people like you on ATS. Not because you voice your opinion but because you say elementary crap like I hate people because they dont agree with me! Why even post. You hate people? I am ignorant? Sweety, you have NO idea who I am or what I know about music. Chat with me and ask me my connection to the industry then try and school me.

I love you even if you hate me. I hope that you learn to understand the power of influence as well as the power of negativity.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intuitiveaptitude2009

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on your above statement and this is why:

1) music doesn't brainwash people i know MANY people who have listened to gangsta rap and dark suicidal rock, but guess what ? they are very productive individuals.

I disagree with this point tremendously.
Whilst YOU might know one or two people that listen to rap and have not been affected I know a whole host of people who have been.

The OP made a perfectly valid (in my opinion) generlisation and of course there are going to be anomalies but just because YOU have experienced an anomaly in your life it doesn't mean that the generalisation is not valid.

A generalisation is just that ... a generalisation. There will always be anomalies.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intuitiveaptitude2009

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on your above statement and this is why:

1) music doesn't brainwash people i know MANY people who have listened to gangsta rap and dark suicidal rock, but guess what ? they are very productive individuals.

2) Not to call your parenting into question but you should have the biggest influence on your children not 2pac.

3) You should be passing down your morals and beliefs onto your children, and YOU should teach them about their actions and reactions.

And if you want me to further expand then just let me know i'll be happy to!

Replies:

1) You are a small sample of the population. I have seen kids grow to be adults with an altered state of mind due to culture. All they had was tv to guide them. Be thankful you and your friends and their success but dont deny those who have witnessed otherwise.

2) My kids are fine and they always will be. Fortunately, I care about others and I see kids TODAY who do not have the guidance mine do. So ignore their plight because your friends are fine? Never! You can ignore the fact that there are kids who dont have guidance and are raised by television but the truth is there are abused and neglected and un supervised children that are being molded by this crap. Wake the hell up.

3) Stop telling me what I "should" be doing and address the parents who DONT! With that being said do kids always mind their parents? Do they always do what they are guided to or do they rebel? Music does not raise my children so dont waste your time telling me how to instruct my children. What you should be doing is understanding that there are misguided kids in the world and they need love and direction.

While I understand and respect your disagreement your point is not helping the problem nor is it valid in respect to my purpose. You can point out the problem with everyone of your fingers but your pointing them same fingers at the wrong person. Thanks for the advice but save it for the child who is at home right now watching the new Ludacris video.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join