It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO GUIDE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I have been wanting to do this for a very long time.

After joining ATS and reading lots of topics, I would like to try to photograph and capture UFOs on live video. So here is some questions I have about how to go about this the right way. Photo/Video experts welcome

1) I have a 5 megapixel digital camera with video recording capabilities. Would this be enough or is it simply out-dated. If it is out-dated what kind of camera and/or video camera would you recommend? I don't have money to burn, but will invest in a good product.

2) If I happen to come across interesting footage, do I automatically own the copyright?

3) Is there any way to profit or make any kind of income from the footage to pay for time and equipment? If I end up really enjoying this hobby, I would like to buy more advance equipment.

4) Is there an association or club who gather these kind of hobbyists together to share information?

5) Is there any other equipment that would be helpful?

6) What is the most powerful consumer telescope that I can attach a camcorder/camera to. How much of a magnification could I expect from it.

7) Any good locations to start with in Southern California? And since I am not the only one who will read this thread, are they any good locations throughout the world with confirmed sightings?

If anyone decides to reply and participate in this thread, please reply with some reliable information. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
First, read this post, it's got good information helpful to you:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

it has recommendations for telephoto lens, etc.

I like the telescope this guy used:

Photo of object just over the surface of the moon (apparently):
www.airliners.net...(F)/1526441/

No photoshop, that's an amazing photograph!

Bingo! Flying over Abruzzo during sunset. Photo taken with a telescope. 3000 mm focal length. The plane was about 15 - 20 km away. Thanks to skystef, contrailwatcheruk and the whole luchtzak.be contrail spotting forum for making this photo possible with their tips and tricks. For any question just ask by mail

Originally posted by jimmyjohen
1) I have a 5 megapixel digital camera with video recording capabilities. Would this be enough or is it simply out-dated. If it is out-dated what kind of camera and/or video camera would you recommend? I don't have money to burn, but will invest in a good product.

Sounds like it might be good enough for digital pictures, but I'm not sure it will make a good video camera just because it can take video. It's been a while since I assessed the technology but the last time I did, video cameras could take pictures that weren't very good, and still cameras could take videos that weren't very good. I imagine someday a universal camera might be good at both but if there's such a thing now I'd like to see that recommendation too because I have yet to see it.

The most important piece of equipment you need is a tripod! And learn how to focus the camera manually. If it doesn't have manual focus capability in addition to automatic, get one that does. For most UFO shots you want to set focus to infinity and not have it change automatically.

2) If I happen to come across interesting footage, do I automatically own the copyright?

Not sure what you mean by "come across", if you shoot it, you have rights to what you shoot. See the copyright on the photo above by Mattia Vichi.

3) Is there any way to profit or make any kind of income from the footage to pay for time and equipment? If I end up really enjoying this hobby, I would like to buy more advance equipment.

Best bet would be to start a photography business like possibly wedding photography on the weekends or something, you can get paid for that. But you would need to apprentice with someone who does it to gain some experience, try contacting some wedding photographers and see if they need help, they might have 2 engagements the same day and they can't be 2 places at once.

From what I've seen you can sell UFO books but probably not just the UFO pictures or videos by themselves.

There are some places you can go to try to get UFO pictures, but someone else will have to give you those recommendations, I don't really recommend them.

I've been looking for UFOs my whole life and I have yet to see something more significant than a fuzzy dot in the sky that I'm not quite sure what it is. Apparently a lot of youtube uploaders think such a fuzzy dot is a UFO but that's not my definition. I think getting a UFO picture is part luck of just happening to be in the right place at the right time, and to make sure you always carry your camera bag with you so you have your still and video camera and a tripod in case something does appear that you want to photograph.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

7) Any good locations to start with in Southern California? And since I am not the only one who will read this thread, are they any good locations throughout the world with confirmed sightings?

Around airports is a hot spot for orb and morphing orb UFOs

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Wow. That's a great picture. Thanks for the thread link and all the information you provided. That thread you linked is pretty much information I was looking for.

I live near Yucca, where there is supposedly an underground base according to Bill Cooper. My father on his way to Las Vegas 20 years ago said he saw "dancing" lights in the sky when he passed Yucca on the I-15 freeway.

He has never heard of Bill Cooper and is in no way interested in UFOs. I think that is an interesting coincidence. Alien craft or not, I don't think my father was lying to me.

I would like to get footage of these types of craft with the same clarity as the picture you posted. At the least, maybe I will be able to take detailed pictures of advanced military prototypes or photos of desert scenery.

I'm going to try to get out there after the holiday season.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Not too sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I do live near some airports including LAX.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Get a tripod

get something that has night vision or infrared.

get something that can zoom, hella...

can I come?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Its not always about the camera, its about the lens that you use too.
you can have a 10mp camera. If the lens is a pile of crap, then your photograph will be too
A 5mp camera, with a good lens, is just as, if not better, than a piece of 10mp cheap crap
I still have an old 1.2mp (almost 9 years old) Olympus camera and the photos from that are far superior to any camera phone I've seen. I' currently have a Fuji A170 - simple to use, but not up for the job you seem to be after
If you're really pro, you may want to keep a 35mm to hand

Its great saying tripod, IR, Night vision etc, but the vast majority of best UFO pics, are from people who just happen to have a camera to hand when out and about.

Usually yes. Unless its photographed on a restricted site and/or of a restricted item. Like wandering into secret military base and start taking snaps of some interesting looking Lazar items, then that would probably merit an interview with some serious looking guys, in a seriously uncomfortable room, and who will take a serious interest in your camera...if you're lucky

I think you'll find its more of a side-line to photography.
If you're good with a camera, then you may be able to make a living selling photographs of scenery, weddings etc.
You could also, if you have the gift, write a book about what you're doing, with photos etc. If you're an already published and respected author, you may be able to get a publisher interested for an advance.

4) Is there an association or club who gather these kind of hobbyists together to share information?

LOADS! Check Google

5) Is there any other equipment that would be helpful?

If you're going for long nights out hoping to catch a fuzz free photo, then I heavily recommend, without an attempt at being funny, a couple of thermos flasks (for hot food & drink), a comfy camping chair, fingerless gloves. If you're with a friend, then a 2 way radio and keep a distance apart so that you can, hopefully, get different angles of the objects.

6) What is the most powerful consumer telescope that I can attach a camcorder/camera to. How much of a magnification could I expect from it.

Hopefully, this will help

See the answer to No. 4
These groups normally have their favourite haunts, local info, etc.

Hope that helps!

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
you need to get a 3ccd camera;
i think there might be newer technology then 3ccd; look into it;

the Panasonic PV-GS300 is probably the most popular and most preferred camera by everyone on Amazon.com;
on amazon its 500 dollars;
but you could probably get it for less;
The Panasonic PV-GS320 is a newer model and is only 150 dollars on Amazon
The only complaint people had about the gs320 was that it didnt have a Line In for an external microphone;

But looking at the test footage, they both look pretty good;
So if you dont need an external microphone i would just go with the gs320

here is some test footage

gs300

gs320

[edit on 26-11-2009 by DjSharperimage]

[edit on 26-11-2009 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
If you want to shoot objects at night, this gadget might come in handy:

www.telescope.com...

It will tell you if the object you think is a UFO is actually Venus or Jupiter, and believe me there is a lot of UFO footage out there that is simply of Venus.

You can look up locations using a free PC program too but this little gadget looks more convenient if you have money to spare.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Reply to Jimmy:

Get yourself a Cinetheodolite. Military uses 'em for spotting and tracking all sorts of aerial bogeys and friendlies - from fighters and missiles to satellites and "unidentified airspace violating phenomena".

They pop up on eBay every once in a while. You should be able to pick up a surplus one for $125K or so:

Good luck...

[edit on 11/30/2009 by Outrageo]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

That looks like a great piece of equipment.

I'll pick up 2 just in case one breaks. It's only 125K right?

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
Get a tripod

get something that has night vision or infrared.

get something that can zoom, hella...

can I come?

I often read peoples comments on shaky ufo videos and they nearly always have a "get a tripod mate" style comment underneath.However in practice tripods( I have a sony dcr camcorder 40X optical and a tripod) are almost impossible to use on anything other than a huge stationary ufo or a huge slow moving ufo.I always carry a camcorder and did carry a tripod with it in my car just in case I spot something.One day I saw an airship way off in the distance so set up my camcorder on the tripod and starting filming .Even with the slow speed of the airship I had trouble keeping it in frame.If it had been a faster moving object I would have had no chance.I found it was better and easier to hold the camera free hand often sit it on your lap look down at the screen and keep it focused on a plane for practice follow it across the sky.Good steady results can be achieved and you are more likely to get the footage than messing around with a tripod.

new topics

top topics

join