It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fantastic Meteor in South Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
has this been posted yet ??

Light up the sky

Apparently, scientists cant find where it landed.

I made a thread a few months back about one of these that crashed into the mountains of Queensland Australia.

Dont you just love nature.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
That's really cool! I would have crashed my car...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Brentnauer

Haha, it definately would've taken the average motorist by surprise. I just wish something exciting would happen closer to where i live.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This has already been posted.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Still no less poot your pants fantastic though!

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Fantastic alright, using angles and trajectory from the security camera, the scientists should be able to find the resting place of the meteorite, that is of course, IF it is a meteorite.......

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
[edit on 25-11-2009 by F.U.B.A.R]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Apparently, scientists cant find where it landed.

That's not surprising, check out what was left of this truck sized asteroid in 2008:

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df52760fdd30.jpg[/atsimg]
www.nasa.gov...

Where's the crater? Most people would walk right past that object without giving it a second glance. They only found it because they had teams of people specifically searching for it. This is a very well documented story.

Meteorites Found in Africa From First Predicted Asteroid Hit

Remember in October 2008 when Asteroid 2008 TC3 hit the scene – literally? This was the first asteroid that was predicted –and predicted correctly — to impact the Earth. Luckily, it wasn't big enough to cause any problems, and its path was over a remote area in Africa. It streaked into the skies over northern Sudan in the early morning of October 7, 2008, and then exploded at a high 37 km above the Nubian Desert, before the atmosphere could slow it down. It was believed that the asteroid likely had completely disintegrated into dust. But meteor astronomer Peter Jenniskens thought there might be a chance to recover some of the remains of this truck-sized asteroid. And he was right.

Fifteen fresh-looking meteorites with a total mass of 563 g were recovered by 45 students and staff of the University of Khartoum during a field campaign on December 5-8, 2008. A second search on December 25-30 with 72 participants raised the total to 47 meteorites and 3.95 kg. Masses range from 1.5 g to 283 g, spread for 29km along the approach path in a manner expected for debris from 2008 TC3

This was a truck sized asteroid and most meteors are far smaller than that, including some that make huge fireballs in the sky.

Sometimes there's not much left, especially if it explodes and it looks like the one in South Africa might have exploded also, when we saw the extra bright flash.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
www.news24.com...

Just found this amazing article with 2 amazing videos...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
That's so cool. The one out in the USWest is great too. Wish I could see one.. I've seen some pretty bright flashes during showers, but not like this.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
..... burnt up in atmosphere ?,

.... or blown up in atmosphere !

new topics

top topics

join