It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK General Election - Who really thinks the British people will re-elect Labour for another term?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
With the Queen Speech, we have started the run up to Prime Minister Brown asking the Queen to dissolve parliament and a general election being called in the UK.

While I am sure there are some who will say out of ideology that Labour will be elected for another term, is this realistic?

Economy Downturn – Not sure this can be blamed just on the Government. The whole world economy has taken a down turn, even China and India has seen dips in their growth, but if business started to see the down turn in 2008 and started to reduce cost bases, why were the Government so surprised?

Banking Crisis – Again, this was not just a UK thing but the UK banking industry is seen as one of the power houses of the global financial industry. But with consistence leadership with Chancellor Brown and then Prime Minister Brown, I am surprised that this was not foreseen as this is what I would expect the chancellor to be looking out for.

Invasion of Iraq – I think this will be one of the judgements that the British people will cast on this Government at the general election and Prime Minister Brown can not say that he was not part of the decision process. He had to find the money to fund this war.

Afghanistan – I think people do understand why we are in Afghanistan but it is the direction given by our leaders to the military that vexes many. Will the British people judge this Government on military deaths? And the perception that our military are not been given all the equipment they want?

Of course, all the parties will give commitments to the British people on what they will do if they are elected but how many people will base their voting decision just on what parties say they will do in the future. An election is also an opportunity to pass judgement on what the Government has done.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Freedom ERP]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Don't forget Copenhagen, the Brits are already furious over their loss of independence.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Well seeing as Gordon Brown elected himself leader of the UK or as good as whats the point in even voting.

Nothing changes except more taxes more stupid laws more money and power for the rich were as the poor still get poorer.

What we have in the UK is an elected dictaorship, that promises one thing then does a u-turn. They appiont one another heads of groups for extra power.

We have a 2 party system in effect that sucks we need a complete change in British politics and get back to a true deomocracy, for that to happen the entire system has to be brought down and rebuilt.

Anyone who wants to be a politition should be shoot there and then and make it like jury service where no one can serve out more than a couple of years.

Then we might get some where you can bet your last pound though that the BNP and the likes will make big advances how history repeats its self.

The Germans where fed up on no jobs corrupt politions ect so the finally let Hitler got in.

There nothing to say something similar could not happen herre in the UK.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Labour I honestly feel will not get re-elected.

It is not all browns fault but he is part of the blame.
Anyone remember his quote " I have ended boom and bust ", ROFL, how can you end boom and bust in a capitalist nation. Boom and bust are what capitalist nations are made off.

I see the Conservative party being elected with big gains for the BNP and other fringe parties.

The people of the UK have had enough of the constant sleaze, lies, the corrupt use of power. My only hope is that when the election comes around the people get up and vote, and vote in the greatest numbers in years.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
they will be an extremely low turn out more than any other time in our history imo. People no longer believe in the democratic system that we have. It dosent matter who gets in they never keep their promises. The Consevatives are a joke pertaining to be all high and mighty when in reality they probably would have done the same as labour. Lib dems well.......nuff said DEMOCRACY IS DEAD

[edit on 25-11-2009 by loner007]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Very sad to say but it won't make any difference who gets in, they all went to the same schools, have the same friends and contacts, and corporate ties. The whole thing is rotten to the core

What is needed is a new political structure, but I am not sure what that would look like. Shorten the term and the pigs will scoff harder and faster, distribution of power to community level seems to be a failure as well. Look at the power crazed local councillors, looking in your bins and spying on you for just about any reason.

People have just had more than enough of the blatant injustice and greed but there is just nowhere to turn, as has been proven time and time again. That leads to a very dangerous and bloody path I fear.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I'm voting for the Green party...

The rest can sod off.

new topics

top topics

join