It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Power: Scientists suspect aliens using Black Hole

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
some things i find interesting. so i will point them out.

Light is constant yes?

why is it constant?

That should be what people need to ask.

If it has a rule we know how to pass it. because light follows a path.

Faster than light has always been possible. why?

Because its always trying to reach something that is going faster

THE EXPANSION OF THE UNIVERSE

Thought people would have guessed that by now..

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13579
some things i find interesting. so i will point them out.

Light is constant yes?

why is it constant?

This would take me a bit of heavy maths to explain, but basically it boils down to the wave/particle dual nature of photons.

I think your thinking of light being a physical thing that shoots along at a really high speed. It isn't really like that.

Faster than light has always been possible. why?

Because its always trying to reach something that is going faster

THE EXPANSION OF THE UNIVERSE

Thought people would have guessed that by now..

Special relativity puts an upper limit on the speed of objects in space. When we talk about the expansion of the universe, we're not talking about the matter in the universe expanding out into the void, like a huge firework. We're talking about SPACE ITSELF expanding. This is governed by General Relativity, which does not put an upper limit on speed.

[edit on 6-12-2009 by georgejetson]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Your dream is basicaly a regurgitation of the principles of warp drive as conceptualised by the creator of Star Trek.
Theres nothing wrong with that, but surely you must have recognised that at the time... I mean you must watch star trek .... its the LAW man !

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Am I missing something? WHERE in this article is there reference to scientists suspecting that aliens might be using black holes?
Well that was the title of the thread.
The link refers to the possibility that someday we might be able to use black holes to explore and seek out other life. A world of difference....

[edit on 8-12-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

Page two of this article www.newscientist.com...

I just noticed now that the OP doesn't actually link to it. Tut, tut, OP.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nik1halo
reply to post by jkrog08

Some good postings here and some interesting theories.

Not meaning to be picky here, but:

(a lightyear is the time it takes light, the fastest known speed, to reach something).

Wrong. A lightyear is the distance that light (at the universal constant speed of light ~186,000 miles/sec) would travel over the period of a year. It is a measurement of distance, not time.

Yes it was a typo, thanks for pointing it out though, that is what is so great about ATS members, we hold each other to high scrutiny and most of us are VERY intelligent members (I guess that's what brought us all together
)

But yea, I was incorrect as a lightyear is the time it takes light to travel over a one year period, as you said.
Although that "universal constant of c" is now under major scrutiny, as it now appears under certain high energy conditions it has been tested and show that c (so far) can be accelerated to four times c!. Another issue is the near proof that spacetime is expanding, so under normal conditions yes, lightspeed is the fastest possible speed(in REAL space).

BUT, under certain other conditions and especially when it has been nearly proven that space itself is expanding faster than c, there is no limit to how fast SPACE can expand, only how fast (under most lower energy conditions) light can travel through spacetime. We still have a lot to learn, but those aforementioned theories, postulates, and observations will lead to major revisions in Einsteins field equations IMHO.

So as of now the most logical, promising, and likely method to achieve FTL is to utilize manipulating expanding space, thus Einsteins laws become of no concern when traveling out of real space. There is going to be A LOT of great breakthroughs in the next 50 years at most IMHO.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

But yea, I was incorrect as a lightyear is the time it takes light to travel over a one year period, as you said.

No, that's not what he said. He said that a light year is the distance light will travel in a year. Not the time it takes. It takes a year for light to travel for a year.

Lightyear = distance
Year = time

Do you understand?

Although that "universal constant of c" is now under major scrutiny, as it now appears under certain high energy conditions it has been tested and show that c (so far) can be accelerated to four times c!.

Do you have a reference for this? A scientific one, not a movie or somebody's geocities page.

Another issue is the near proof that spacetime is expanding, so under normal conditions yes, lightspeed is the fastest possible speed(in REAL space).

BUT, under certain other conditions and especially when it has been nearly proven that space itself is expanding faster than c, there is no limit to how fast SPACE can expand, only how fast (under most lower energy conditions) light can travel through spacetime.

You're confusing special relativity and general relativity.

We still have a lot to learn, but those aforementioned theories, postulates, and observations will lead to major revisions in Einsteins field equations IMHO.

It's true we have a lot to learn, and our theories are going to change

So as of now the most logical, promising, and likely method to achieve FTL is to utilize manipulating expanding space, thus Einsteins laws become of no concern when traveling out of real space. There is going to be A LOT of great breakthroughs in the next 50 years at most IMHO.

This sounds like Dune. Dune is scifi. The fi in scifi is short for fiction. Dune is fiction, the theories it proposes are by no means promising

[edit on 8-12-2009 by georgejetson]

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
looool.... anything is possible.....

here is your dark matter......

www.popsci.com...

and here you have the black holes.....

gajitz.com...

so.... lift off....

anyhow... here is the funny bit how dark & anti matter are differentiated.......

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

but then..... surprise.....

www.dailygalaxy.com...

as if it weren't possible to create them......

news.nationalgeographic.com...

www.physorg.com...

in other words.......

or in better 'et' terms.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join