It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone please answer me!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Heya,

As many people have stated its not religion that opposes this research.

All "biological" and medical research thats a bit moraly iffy has to go through a hell of a lot of bioethics discussion before its acceptable.

Stem cell research is held back because of the difficulties in obtainingstem cells. In the beggining they were harvested from fetuses ... (which is pretty scary in a way) now we can produce them from skin cells (but not too well yet). As for regeneration, well thats just impossible atm ... wed need stem cells for that and theyre hard to come by without moraly dubious methods.

Cloning, well cloning is a BIG bioethical quagmire ... we just dont know enough about clones... there are too many metaphysical and ethical problems, as previous posters have stated: do they have a soul? would they have the same human rights etc etc.

We need religion to noisily remind us of some ethical issues ... its helpfull keeps us alert ... they shouldnt have the power to change anything or directly stop things from happening because that is seriously unfair on other religions or people without religion, but in general theyre speaking from a moral point of view which is nice and good.

~TR

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tomb_Raven

I do not consider myself a person who is loose on morals but because I don't share the same as some groups, in the eyes of these opposing groups I am immoral. Again, who made these people the moral concious of the world, who says what they consider immoral is actually immoral. I consider harrassing a young girl who just had an abortion as she walks out of the clinic (as if she hasnt' been through enough) wayyyy more immoral than actually having the abortion. But, I guess thats the kinda attitude thats gonna send me to hell. lol

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
i am an atheist, but i firmly beleive that people are fundamentally good. Everyone has an inbuilt moral compass and instinctively knows whats good and bad. But people can train to desensitise it (with us having free will and all), and a really small amount of people has theirs is broken.

and i beleive that very rarely can you do the right thing. Often its a choice between two wrongs, and thats what ethics is all about ... you cant win because the big questions have no right answers and everyone has to know and make up their minds for themselves.

Religions often just spell out the fundamental "rights", killing is bad, stealing is bad, show respect and compassion to your fellow man and what have you. The message of religion is generaly good, well intended. The big problem is interpretation. Organised religions as we can see are all divided, despite the fact that the morals they are trying to teach are all so simmilar, based on their interpretations of their respective religions. And unfortunately people being people we try and inflict our own personal beleifs on others.

But that doesnt stop the question or dilemma being there. And in some cases a final decision has to be made, and there will always be exceptions. The only fair way is to address each issue individualy on a case by case basis.

And your correct, its wrong that religions and organsied/or disorganised institutions try to wrestle their opinions onto us. I wonder what life would be like without government .... hmmm if it just stopped now and we had a few generations to settle

enough musings

~TR
edit:typos

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Tomb_Raven]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
I posed the question of why christian interest groups try so hard to have things like limb regeneration, stem cell research, cloning etc stopped. Are they afraid it shows a lack of need for God? Does it show we can do something that he cannot??

Hey friend dont miss out the fact that God actually created us humans.

Its we humans who cant do what God can do. But we do try very hard dont we

I also think we should be thankful that we cant do what God can do. We have no clue about morality. We cant even handle the power of free will.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Are christians so afraid that they will not answer?

No they are just smart enough not to feed the trolls. They know that no answer will satisfy the person asking.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

We will never become god, He is the Alpha and Omega, We may find a way to become immortal but if is the creator he can be the destroyer.

If god is the alpha and omega, how can we have free will? An infinite being, transcends time, thus seeing the past present and future as one. How can we have free will if the outcomes can already be viewed by the creator?

Free will implies that we have a choice, if god transcends time then god can see the "choices" we will make. If god knows the choices we will make and the outcomes of these "choices" then we in fact do not have free will.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
I posed the question of why christian interest groups try so hard to have things like limb regeneration, stem cell research, cloning etc stopped. Are they afraid it shows a lack of need for God? Does it show we can do something that he cannot??

Are christians so afraid that they will not answer?

First of all, let me start with one of my favorite quotes.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

In light of that brilliant remark by Galileo, I have no direct grievances with advancement of the medical world. However, things like stem cell research raise certain questions. If there was any method of harvesting stem cells without the use of a human fetus then maybe it could be more acceptable.

It doesn't show that we can do something that He cannot. In fact, it's us doing something that He has intended for us. However, the methods for doing so are sketchy at best.

Also, you mentioned a democracy and that the Bible states we should follow the law of the land. Yes, it does state that, but the fact remains that one biblical law should not contradict the other. That is to say, if the law of the land allows for the killing of innocent "individuals" for genetic and medical advancement then it should not be condoned. It would be fine for those who DO condone these types of experimental procedures to proceed, however, the religious side of the house does typically get a little carried away. They really don't understand the term "turn the other cheek".

This world is free to sin all they'd like. No one gave us(christians) the power to STOP sin from happening. We've only been granted the power to CONQUER sin, that is, receive salvation.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

i answered your question..in the other thread but i will do it again because this is one of the worst arguements for people who dont believe in God

Some people as you said say all the good is from God and the bad from Satan..so when someone is healed they claim miracles and all of that..i disagree with this..yes i do think miracles happen but i think it is foolish to claim miracles just when someone overcomes adversity

now on to the question...sure God could heal the whole world if he wanted..but he wont and here is why

At the beginning we were created perfect, as was the earth..we disobeyed and fell and allowed pain, sadness, suffering, death, etc. to enter the world..God created a heaven on earth, but we ruined it..

the reason bad things happen is our fault as humans..it is not God's fault..blame satan if it makes you feel better but it is humanities fault as well..God wont heal the world because we must redeem ourselves..otherwise he would have just wiped the slate clean and started over after adam and eve's original sin

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join