It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Quietly Backs Patriot Act Provisions

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Star and flag. This is the nature of our beast. 'Patriot Act' is such a misnomer. This act has nothing to do with patriotism. A real patriot act involves questioning authority. Real patriots do not rely on outside powers to do those right things that they can or should do as individuals.

Please take a look at this essay from www.strike-the-root.com.

Excerpt:

What minarchists don’t understand is that tiger cubs grow big, and grown tigers are never tame. You can’t domesticate a tiger like a house cat. You can always play with a grown house cat. For the five percent of the day that it’s awake. You cannot play with a tiger cub when it grows up. Tigers are wild and always will be. Government, because it is predicated on force and violence, will always be what it is: forceful and violent. Its fangs ain’t cute anymore.

The problems do not fall within parties but within the entire system. This system is ours to fix. It is unfortunate that our system is deteriorating into something that may be unfixable. That may not be a bad thing if we can all look at this from outside-the-box.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone... even if you don't celebrate it. I am thankful I have places like ATS to keep me thinking critically.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but the only difference between Obama and Bush comes right down to color. Gasp!!! Not that!!! The race card!!!!

BS. (Bravo Sierra) I put all my faith on this clown and color never was an issue, but when it comes down to it, that is the only difference between these devils.

I have to laugh when i hear people saying "wait till elections, we'll kick him out of office".....
I think we should just make Cheney commander in chief and have our Armageddon and be done with the whole thing.

I hate it when things drag.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I fully agree. Obama might as well be named Bush III . Change? What change? Thank you Obushma for ensuring my slavery in this great nation.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

There's no race card here.
He's like most Americans, just a mut.
He's 50% white.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   
People only listened to Obamas empty promises: “Change! Yes we can! Hope!” He is a politician and promises from politicians are rarely kept. After Obamas support for the FISA legislation in 2008 it should haven been clear to everyone that not every constitutional lawyer is also a supporter of civil liberties.

Obama has risen to the top of Chicago, which is probably the most corrupt city in the USA. Many liberals were unable to recognize, that such a politician has other backers and interests behind him. Corporate backers gain positions of power under Obama. In contrast supporters from the civil rights movement like Phil Carter, a founding member of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans of America resign their positions.

This is a dangerous development, because administrations and government agencies never relinquish power without demand. If nobody stands up against threats to freedom and the Rule of Law we will see more centralization of power and more:

police
prisons
gag orders
wiretapping
surveillance
eavesdropping
illegal rendition
prolonged detention without trial
government spending on security
invoking of states secrets to further an agenda

Here some links for further reading:
1: Guide to provisions of the USA Patriot Act (2001) and Federal Executive Orders that threaten civil liberties
www.scribd.com...
2: Chart comparing current Patriot Act, S. 1692 and H.R. 3845
www.wired.com...
3: Some info about proposed changes in Patriot Act
www.wired.com... op+Stories+2%29%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
4: S. 1692 status
www.govtrack.us...
5: H.R. 3845 status
www.govtrack.us...

Video explaining the expiring provisions of the Patriot Act:

[edit on 26-11-2009 by Drunkenshrew]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Of course he's backing the provisions. He has to. He's controlled by the same people, maybe a different faction, but the same people. Anyone still laboring under the notion that he held out any kind of hope should stop now. Anyone who still believes that parties mean anything should stop now too. How much clearer can things get? Nothing has fundamentally changed other than a few social issues they use to distract your and make you believe there's any kind of difference. Those social issues never really go anywhere either now do they?

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The President is simply a figurehead there was no way the provisions in the Patriot Act would not get renewed no matter who is in the White House if he refused TPTB would have just have the MSM and the other puppets in congress declare him "Soft on Terrorism." and really tank his approval ratings.

[edit on 033030p://1226 by mike dangerously]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Obama?.....Keep the change!

He is just a rep for the shadow gov and their agenda. A front man if you will. He has no powers or authority other than to burn up gas riding around in that 3 ton limo of his.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by mikelee]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
If this isn't the kind bull corn that proves secession is the only way, I don't know what else there is left to say

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The Key word being "Quietly".

Same old Shi#, Different Day.

I've been pointing this out that historically all of these Democrats are are just another puppet used by the conservative rulers of this nation to further their agenda beginning with LBJ. Who replaced JFK and brought us into Vietnam and years of profits to the military industrial complex.
Remember?

I like Jesse Ventura's spin on US politics,in that its just like the WWE or TV wrestling.

Its All an act and they're paid to perform as though they're opponents following a pre planned choreography . But behind the scenes they're all answering to the same owner, Mr McMann.

Lets face it folks, Those in control of our country are those with the most money ... US politics are a Just another TV reality show.

Goethe said:

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free"

Wake up people !

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

they know perfectly what change is. it's just that noone said it'll be change for the better.
besides... does it really matter who's in the white house? they're all taking orders from the same persons.

[edit on 26-11-2009 by jedi_hamster]

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Well I always said what I feel to say if somebody wants to call me racist so beat it, my friend, when i said the littler people I mean anybody that doesn't mix with richistan America and doesn't sleep with corporate pimps.

you know what I mean.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

We are minorities Dg who cares about races card
and you are right, when it comes to the crocks running our government is not such thing as color, but money and profits.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
"Obama quietly backs Patroit Act provisions".....

Of course he would. Its what W told him to do!

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I wanted to share this from my local newspaper today and since I'm rather a newbie I give my apology for placing this here.
Obama
I was surprised to read/see this in today's paper.

More than a few Times-Union readers want to know:

Is Barack Obama eligible to be president of the United States?

All the independent fact-checking sources, some of which did extensive original research on the issue, conclude that Obama is a natural born citizen, having been born on American soil in Honolulu, and is thus eligible to be president.

Most of the controversy centers on Obama's birth certificate. So let's start there.

When questions about Obama's citizenship arose during his run for the presidency, there was a clamor to release his birth certificate. The campaign did not do so until June 2008, when it posted on the Internet a "Certification of Live Birth" from Hawaii.

The digital copy brought more outrage by those who thought it forged: The birth certificate doesn't have a raised seal; it isn't signed; no creases from folding are evident in the scanned version; in the zoomed-in view, there's a strange halo around the letters; the certificate number is blacked out; the date bleeding through from the back seems to say "2007," but the document wasn't released until 2008; the document is a "certification of birth," not a "certificate of birth," were some of the claims compiled by FactCheck.org.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
maybereal, you will do anything to lick Obama's boots, won't you?. Keep on denying what the rest of America is slowly but surely waking up to - the facts. America is realizing that this man is a con artist who pulled one of the greatest cons of all time in America - he took a nation angry with a presidential administration, said all the right things, and got himself elected. Some of us saw it from the beginning. People like you would stand by your vote if it meant the world burned around you in armageddon - you would still find some way to justify it.

It's never nice to say, but - I told you so!

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

My question to all of the "conservatives" that are eagerly bashing Obama on this issue is....Are you now far lefty, commie liberals?...because it is the Liberals that contested this..

And the CONSERVATIVES THINK THE BILL WAS WEAKENED AND WANTED IT PASSED INTACT!!

But as the horde of hypocrits here well know IF THE PATRIOT ACT HAD NOT BEEN RE-ISSUED AT ALL...the tact would be that Obama is setting us up for another terrorist attack!!!

It is absolutely idiot central on ATS these days...no wonder so many people are leaving.

Oh yes...BTW for anyone that failed to actually research the issue....

www.ombwatch.org...

House Judiciary Committee Approves Strong PATRIOT Act Reform

In a 16-10 party-line vote on Nov. 5, the House Committee on the Judiciary approved H.R. 3845, the USA PATRIOT Amendments Act of 2009. The legislation contains several important reforms of controversial surveillance powers granted in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Republicans on the committee claimed that "the legislation would hinder law enforcement and intelligence agencies in fighting terrorism."

Hmmmmm...that doesn't sound like the bill in the OP.....And the OP sounds like it has an awfully "Liberal" bias......

Anyone get whats wrong with this picture?

Among the most touted of the reforms provided by the bill, H.R. 3845 would permit the so-called “lone wolf” provision to sunset.

It was intended to allow the surveillance of individuals believed to be doing the bidding of foreign governments or terrorist organizations, even when the evidence of that connection was lacking.

H.R. 3845 also restricts the use of national security letters.

Under current law, intelligence agencies have few restrictions on the use of NSLs, and in numerous cases, they overuse the authority. An FBI inspector general report in 2007 “found that the FBI used NSLs in violation of applicable NSL statutes, Attorney General Guidelines, and internal FBI policies.” The reform provisions seek to create greater judicial scrutiny of NSL use, as the relevant agency would need to demonstrate to a judge the connection to foreign actors, as well as the need for a gag order, prior to issuing the NSL.

In other reform provisions, the legislation would require the government demonstrate to a judge that the target of a roving wiretap is a single person in order to obtain a warrant. An even stricter evidentiary standard is mandated to obtain library and bookstore records. The roving wiretap and records seizure authorities are set to expire at the end of 2013 rather than in 2009.

The House bill also establishes new reporting and audit provisions to facilitate congressional oversight of surveillance.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join