It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Quietly Backs Patriot Act Provisions

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
ipsnorthamerica.net...

Obama Quietly Backs Patriot Act Provisions
William Fisher

NEW YORK, 23 Nov (IPS) - With the health care debate preoccupying the mainstream media, it has gone virtually unreported that the Barack Obama administration is quietly supporting renewal of provisions of the George W. Bush-era USA Patriot Act that civil libertarians say infringe on basic freedoms.

And it is reportedly doing so over the objections of some prominent Democrats.

When a panicky Congress passed the act 45 days after the terrorist attacks of Sep. 11, 2001, three contentious parts of the law were scheduled to expire at the end of next month, and opponents of these sections have been pushing Congress to substitute new provisions with substantially strengthened civil liberties protections.

But with the apparent approval of the Obama White House and a number of Republicans – and over the objections of liberal Senate Democrats including Russ Feingold of Wisconsin and Dick Durbin of Illinois – the Senate Judiciary Committee has voted to extend the three provisions with only minor changes.

Those provisions would leave unaltered the power of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to seize records and to eavesdrop on phone calls and e-mail in the course of counterterrorism investigations.

more at link

So the provisions are set to continue. Just goes to show you, more of the same, and the more things change the more they stay the same, except we have been losing more with this currrent administration than ever before.

The tax cuts will be alllowed to expire, but not this nonsense.

I have said it and I will say it again, this is not about poarty line politics, this is about rights and freedoms.

Both administrations wear coats of different colors made from the same material.

Where oh where is the media in this? Oh wait, nevermind. Silly question, I know.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
It's okay when a (D) favors totalitarianism. We're all supposed to hold hands and sing now.

Didn't you get the memo?

Back and forth. One grows government in the name of "security" the other in the name of "social justice." Government just keeps growing.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm disgusted.

Someone might wanna pass the administration a dictionary so they can look up the word change.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Please don't share this story with Obama's supporters!! They still think he is different from presidents past.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Incredible, Obama has proving to be the worst puppet than Bush was to the powers behind the government.

At least I have to give Bush credit, he was stupid but hell he was vocal and he was always sneering to the media.
and the public.

Obama is actually more intelligent but darn he is letting himself been manipulated like sissy.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Originally posted by marg6043
Obama is actually more intelligent but darn he is letting himself been manipulated like sissy.

I have to disagree there.

Obama has been the one doing the manipulation from the beginning.

You don't succeed in Chicago politics by being a 'sissy'.

I called this from the very beginning...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I have to disagree there.

Obama has been the one doing the manipulation from the beginning.

You don't succeed in Chicago politics by being a 'sissy'.

I called this from the very beginning...

Loam, I usually do not agree with you, but on this everyone should agree. Star for everyone.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I agree with Seiko. Completely disgusting.

This administration is quickly proving that it is merely a better looking extension of the last.

I hope this snowballs and hits the administration hard...we desperately need a strong third party option for 2012

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Why do you think I gave my vote to Obama in the last elections, because I was impressed by his intelligence and his willingness to fight for us the littler people, but guess what once he step in Washington and learned to take his place in the power hierarchy he found out that in Washington he is not the one calling the shots

So sad, my friend that our doer and man of change has been castrated by the real power behind his seat.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Third party is an idea for some change, but then that party will also grow and become corrupted. Getting out of the parties altogether is the real solution in my opinion.

We have to start local with people we agree with and build up differing ideals on the political scale.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

reply to post by loam

Why do you think I gave my vote to Obama in the last elections, because I was impressed by his intelligence and his willingness to fight for us the littler people, but guess what once he step in Washington and learned to take his place in the power hierarchy he found out that in Washington he is not the one calling the shots

So sad, my friend that our doer and man of change has been castrated by the real power behind his seat.

Exactly. He came in believing he could make American a better place. He found out that in Washington the only America that matters is the corporate one.

Health Insurance? Health Industry corporate jackpot

Cap and Trade? Green Energy corporate jackpot

Bailout? Financial corporate jackpot

Continued War? Defense corporate jackpot

It's becoming more and more clear that the Washington has forgotten it is "We the People" and not "We the Incorporated"

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This really isn't a surprise to a lot of us that support him. Obama was never a liberal. He was always more right of central. Which is why he appealed to a lot of Americans who were disgusted by the Republicans beeline to the extreme right over the last decade.

It actually amuses me that the Republicans still have this fantasy of the Obama supporters actually thinking he was a liberal. The voters would have gone for the green party candidate if they actually wanted a liberal president.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

You believe that because you continue to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I do not.

He is doing EXACTLY what benefits him and those around him. He sees you as sheeple, requiring his 'brilliance' to do what's best for you.

No one held a gun to his head on any of the Bush era policies-- at this point, almost too numerous to list... HE HAS UNABASHEDLY SUPPORTED THEM ALL.

I have said from the beginning, the problem isn't just him, but the electorate as well.

Bush and crew were capable of their moronic governance because he was given unfettered support for several years after 911. Obama now enjoys the same. As with Bush, when that support begins to sufficiently diminish, public opinion will be hijacked by vehicles of fear. You already see that tactic now.

Same game....same strategy....just different players.

And people were afraid of Hilary...

[edit on 25-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

No, I am no giving him anything anymore, it didn't took much for me to see that he would not deliver, see I noticed his change of aura after he got his debriefing, when he came out into the media spot and his face looked haggard and drain I knew that we in this nation the population stand no chance with our elected officials, that day I came more and more to the realization that only the people and a revolt can shake the roots of those that have taken our government hostage.

I don't hold loyalties to any political system in this nation anymore.

Actually I decided that I will not vote anymore because it doesn't matter.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Remember what I said about 'when sufficient approval begins to diminish'?

Obama's Approval Slide Finds Whites Down to 39%

Let the fear mongering begin in earnest...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

You misheard him during his campaign.

Obama was not saying it is time for change.

He was saying it is time for chains!

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thank goodness WE (as in NOT ME) voted for change.

Is this really a surprise to anyone?

This is a man who was supported and sponsored by Zbigniew Brzezinski.
The same man who is probably the most responsible for arming bin laden and his gang.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f9423390ce91.jpg[/atsimg]

Zbigniew and Osama bin laden.

Any questions now ?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
im not so suprised!..
i knew sooner or later it was going to leak out.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
thats what obama meant by change... change the freedom of rights bill.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Un... friggin'... believable.

This is the constitutional law scholar who promised to overturn all of Bush's illegal and unconstitutional laws and executive orders?

What a MAJOR disappointment. Just goes to show that Dems and Repubs are just two sides of the same coin.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join