It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Shatters Spending Record for First-Year Presidents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Obama Shatters Spending Record for First-Year Presidents

www.foxnews.com

President Obama has shattered the budget record for first-year presidents -- spending nearly double what his predecessor did when he came into office and far exceeding the first-year tabs for any other U.S. president in history.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

In fiscal 2009 the federal government spent $3.52 trillion -- $2.8 trillion in 2000 dollars, which sets a benchmark for comparison. That fiscal year covered the last three-and-a-half months of George W. Bush's term and the first eight-and-a-half months of Obama's.

That price tag came with a $1.4 trillion deficit, nearly $1 trillion more than last year. The overall budget was about a half-trillion more than Bush's for 2008, his final full fiscal year in office.

Bush spent $1.8 trillion in 2001, according to government budget figures that have been adjusted for inflation based on 2000 dollars. Using the same formula, former President Bill Clinton spent $1.6 trillion in 1993.

The last president to clock in under $1 trillion was Gerald Ford, who logged a $982 billion budget in 1975. Post-war Dwight Eisenhower even brought Uncle Sam's tab down to $556 billion in his first year, 1953.

Obama's first-year budget, adjusted for inflation, is about five times that. His 2009 budget is also close to 21 percent of that for Clinton's eight years in office -- Clinton's spending added up to $13.5 trillion over his two full terms. Bush spent $16.8 trillion from 2001-2008.

I'm sure that none of us are all that surprised by any of these figures. I thought it important to post, however, since people seem to be getting more and more accustomed to seeing a trillion spent here, a trillion spent there -- I believe society as a whole is becoming numb to how much a trillion dollars really is.

Further, I'm sure that all of the Obama supporters will argue that much of his budget would not have been so high had he not had to continue "Bush's" War.

I would like to remind those people that Obama had the option of bringing our troops home. Period. And the fact that they are STILL in Iraq, and now even more are being sent to Afganistan, falls on his shoulders.

Our children's grandchildren will sitll being paying this back. With the same amount of money, we could have ended hunger and homelessness around the world.

I'm sure that would have helped better our security and improve health.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
when you take into account how much the US dollar is actually worth...

hes probably only spent $15 in reality...

(:

new topics

join