It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what is your definition of a mad scientist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think alot of people who are not into science have no idea, that the madness of knowledge awakenings can bring.

What is your definition of a mad scientist, and how far would that person have to go, before you would think that the knowledge is not worth the cost?

Like we know that scientists wanted to set the atmosphere alight with h bombs, in the 50's. Would you consider this too far to go for knowledge. Is gm foods too far, or stem cell research.

How far is too far, and where does science meet madness?

[edit on 11/25/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think of a 'mad scientist' as a person who uses science with the intent of committing evil acts. Science itself cannot be good nor evil, it just is -- it has no intent.

I don't believe that the creators of nuclear weapons intended to alight the atmosphere. It WAS something of a concern among some groups of people.

Where does science meet madness? Within the depths of the human mind, intent and application of discoveries.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I'm a scientist, it's what we do, we make things better.

It's quote from a movie, but that sums it up for me.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

But if you where on the real cutting edge, would you go as far as it takes to get the knowledge, or would you care about consequences?

Where in your opinion, does the madness in science start?

We all know science are mostly atheists, so they consider they just live here and now, and do not care about torturing innocents, to get there knowledge.

There is countless cases of this in history and still going on today, so no scientist can come here and say science is moral.

So what is the definition of madness, with relation to consequnces for others?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Knowledge is good.

My problem is when they start trying to improve things. Thinking they can improve upon nature, this is madness to me. When there's something that needs to be done science is great, but when we use it to create solutions to problems that do not exist we've entered the realm of madness.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Seiko

Are you telling me, that you have never met a scientist, that has gone into madness, just to find knowledge.

They always say there is a thin line between genius and madness, but there must be countless cases, like what i described above, where madness just sets in and the power of the knowledge, is just feeding the scientist to push forward, no matter what consequence, there is for anyone including himself, or herself.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
What is your definition of a mad scientist, and how far would that person have to go, before you would think that the knowledge is not worth the cost?

Like we know that scientists wanted to set the atmosphere alight with h bombs, in the 50's. Would you consider this too far to go for knowledge. Is gm foods too far, or stem cell research.

How far is too far, and where does science meet madness?

There is a thread that was posted on ATS a few years ago that included some pictures and video of scientists that decided it would be in the best interest of humanity to chop dogs in half and sew them together.

They were kept alive with fake organs and suspended in a cage until they died a few hours later. The very fact that this alone is nothing compared to what doctors in Nazi Germany performed on actually people goes to show scientists are still extremely barbaric.

That's my limit. That's not science, it's an insane individual getting his jollies off.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Traffic]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Are you telling me, that you have never met a scientist, that has gone into madness, just to find knowledge.

No I'm not saying that at all.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Sanity is madness put to good use...

2nd line

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Einstein, another great madman lets make a bomb.I would like to thank all the scientists who made all these great chemicals that poision our environment.
We are better off without them,the cost is too great.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

[
We all know science are mostly atheists, so they consider they just live here and now, and do not care about torturing innocents, to get there knowledge.

So, your definition of an athiest is someone who lives for the day and does not care about innocent people?

You see, I'd say athiests care more about life because we are not deluded into thinking after life there will eternal paradise, to us life is more precious because we believe this is the only life we will get. Makes sense does it not?

Let me ask you something, Andy. If someone you loved was really ill, would you rely on science to make them better or would you rather rely on prayer? Please give a straight answer to that.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a mad scientist imo is some scientist suffering from stress coz the things he makes is in the hands of people with no intelligence.......

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I see a mad scientist being one of two ways:

1. One hell bent on destruction and/or world domination (i.e., Any of James Bond's Nemesis); or

2. One that ignores conventional scientific methods and materials in an attempt to develop something completely undiscovered...usually without being able to explain the precise mechanisms that yielded their results...(i.e., . John Hutchinson)

Just my 2-cents

EDIT: 3. A scientist that is misunderstood (granted either 1 or 2 would fall into this area as well)

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I would say there is no such thing as a mad scientist, some of the experiments can be horrific and really strange but they all add to the knowledge of humanity. Usually not for the greater good but knowledge nontheless. But i do think there are alot of crazy people who happen to be scientists. When i think of a mad scientist i picture a man in isloation at the top of a mountain in a fortress....pesky cartoons narrowing my view.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
A mad scientist is..
One who had his email server hacked and the results posted on the internet to show where he lied and fudged facts to fit what he wanted them to say.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Here's a mad scientist in this link.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well :

A good scientist is a scientist that will not work for money : LOL.

So what is a mad scientist ? Money corrupt anything: and technology is the cocain for human being !

I don't think human being : will say no to any technology : even if it is dangerous, in long term.

So what is a mad scientist ? All scientist ! ( because it is more common to see mad scientist , really : the man who will think is science is more important than life, and his life )

You should read unabomber manifesto :

en.wikisource.org...

www.chicagoabc.org...

The technology singularity : is near. And i am human.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkwind.
Here's a mad scientist in this link.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

lol who knows, i believe in demon possession, like the catholic church does, so who knows who does those things.

Interesting article they put in a broadsheet paper.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
TESLA.
That would be my one word definition. Persecuted for refusing to be a "scientist" opting to be more of an ORIGINAL THINKER (or maybe RE-THINKER but still....)MAD=Mentally Arranged, Differently.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

There is countless cases of this in history and still going on today, so no scientist can come here and say science is moral.

You are the definition of ignorance and bigotry. Some people die from bad food. Therefore food is immoral.

Twit. Scientists are one of the most moral, free-thnking bunch I know. But you'd know nothing of that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join