It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama racist image, Google apology

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
What so ever is wrong with monkeys? They are kind, sweet and gentile creatures.

If anything, it's an insult to nature to compare a politician to a monkey!

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
How can there ever be equality when one side is treated completely different from the other.

Bush chimp pictures are ok but Obama chimp pics are not?

This has nothing to do with racism, I saw this image of Michelle Obama about a year ago from a site that does nothing but portray all celebrities as chimps.

Even started a thread here, but the web site has been taken down.

Looks like Obama is hard at work dis-inventing the internet, one web site at a time.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Wrong. Bush is white. This is different. There has been a long time issue with blacks being equated with monkeys. Howard Cosell was an untouchable announcer until he made that mistake:

Cosell's most infamous remark came during a Monday Night Football broadcast on Sept. 5, 1983, when Howard exclaimed, "Look at that little monkey run", referring to African-American Washington Redskins receiver Alvin Garrett. This ultimately led to his stepping down from Monday Night Football about two months later.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I think you bring up a good point, Intrepid. The question is, what was Howard Cosell's intent? Was "monkey" a term that he used exclusively towards blacks, or was it just that the outrage from people PRESUMING his intent snowballed beyond the point where Cosell employers could continue to use him?

Howard Cosell was once one of my favorite people to dislike, but he had his moments. There's a fair amount to suggest that Mr. Cosell didn't intend a racist perspective when using his "little monkey" remark. Perhaps he should have had the awareness of how a remark like that would or could be perceived........

The next year a controversy erupted during a Monday Night Football game, when Cosell referred to Washington Redskins wide receiver Alvin Garrett (who was black) as a “little monkey.”
The inevitable accusations that he was a racist stung the commentator deeply, as he counted Jackie Robinson and Muhammad Ali among the men he most admired. His use of the term “monkey,” he insisted, had nothing to do with Garrett’s race, but rather his quickness and agility.
He had used the term before in reference to others who weren’t black, including his own grandson. After a few weeks the controversy died down, thanks largely to the fact that a whole series of prominent African-Americans, including Jesse Jackson, Bill Cosby, and Rachel Robinson (Jackie Robinson’s widow) rallied to his defense
. just one link

Likewise, with this monkified picture of Michelle Obama, we have to try and figure the person's intent. I think it's fairly obvious that the intent was to ridicule and insult. I feel it, you feel it, probably everyone here does.

The question is......... would we feel the same amount of outrage if there was, say, a photo that made Laura Bush or Cindy McCain to look like a cracker? I think that those in the political spolight, like most celebrities, have to expect to be insulted and lampooned.

I wish it weren't so, but I would hate even worse the systems and legislation that made it illegal.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I agree. I don't think that Cosell was racist in the least. The reaction to the remark though goes to show what this designation means when referenced to a black person.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I don't know about the UK.....

In the US, public figures can not be slandered by pics or such.

It is part of the price paid for fame/money and power.

Obama's wife is just like another famous person, open to be made fun of.

If she does not like it, perhaps she should move out of the white house.

I noticed she had no problems when it was Bush and his wife being made fun of...

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Was there this much of an uproar when Condi lisa Rice's picture were distorted to make her look ugly or like a monkey?? Just wondering... i had seen some in the American papers on online but i don't remeber the media making a big deal about it..... A little bias here perhaps?? I don't think this has anything to do with the fact she is the first lady.......

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I agree with you. I saw the obama picture and the rice picture...

One was met with outrage and the other was published in NEWSPAPERS!

No bias here is there?

(Then again, we do have a thread on ATS where Sarah Palin is being referred to as 'retarded' and the mods don't even seem to mind... So, anything goes here?)

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

OK. How 'bout this?

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

That one on the left is really scary!

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Is this the one? There are so many.

poststuff2.entensity.net...

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

The picture was from prison planet and when i click on it i got "Cannot find server" error.

Does anyone else have access... i would like to know the full context that this picture was in... And if prison planet website is being Racist.

What are you talking about, the image has been making the rounds for weeks, and if it was "from prison planet" it most likely would've only been from someone's comment.

What reason would the people that run the site have to post an image that's clearly going to get them into the stupid racist debate?

This is like saying CNN called for the assassination of barack because you heard someone posted a comment along those lines.

This thread is ridiculous.

[edit on 9-2-2010 by alaskan]

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
yea they made curious George monkey pics, all sorta photoshops, but noone got upset over those, but mess with the Obamamonkeys and all hell breaks loose it seems.

gotta love hypocrites.

the obama monkey pics are hilarious but they are just that funny.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

That one on the left is really scary!

Yeah, imagine having to wake up next to that mugg every morning.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17

Originally posted by heyo
reply to post by Uniceft17

I'm canadian

Well maybe you should do some research about African Americans be labeled as monkeys or in other words 'sub-human' in American History. Yes it is racist, Like I said I dislike the Obama's but this is going to the extreme.

Extreme is where the best comedy is.

Besides I have exactly zero sympathy for these people.. F em all.

If she can stand by and say or do nothing while watching something as offensive as her husband continuing the elites wars that result in the death & suffering of innocent people, harm to the nation, perpetuation of "tribal" hatred.. she deserves to be hated.... and mocked in the most offensive ways possible... hurt feelings of the elite are far less offensive than dead children war victims..

Not only have they earned it, they deserve all the vitriol flung their way.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Come on guys and gals we all know racism no longer exist because we have a black president. LOL

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join