It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama racist image, Google apology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Google has apologised over a racially offensive picture of Michelle Obama which appears when users search for images of the US first lady.

The image comes top of Google Images search results for "Michelle Obama".

I did this search and found an image of Michelle Obama Photo Shopped to look like a monkey.

The picture was from prison planet and when i click on it i got "Cannot find server" error.

Does anyone else have access... i would like to know the full context that this picture was in... And if prison planet website is being Racist.

Thanks

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Here it is, hope it works.

Michelle Obama Monkey Face

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Damn that was uncalled for...if it wa intended to be racist. someone had WAY to much time on thier hans to conjure this up..no wonder were in a recession..some are to lazy to work at all, and decide its much better to make racist subjective photoshop things than earn a living*

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

yeah thanks... I’ve seen the picture... I just wanted the know the context it was published in...

For example... if someone had photo shopped some the world leaders and their wife’s to look like planet of the apes then that could be view as just a bad joke... However, if it is just Michelle Obama who is singled out then my guess would be it’s for racist reasons.

I'm just curious and hoping that it is something that was meant as a harmless joke and not something that was done for sinister racist reasons!

Thanks

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:44 AM
link   
George Bush monkey face comparison
Funny George Bush Monkey Animation

142,000 results on google typing in george bush monkey face.
The first site is actually named bushorchimp.com.
Is it possible that they're just making fun of her?
I'll just leave it at that.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well, I guess technically it is speciest. Along with that, insulting and unnecessary. Just more fodder to reinforce a divide between the country. How? By emphasizing the differences in political view, and characterizing non-Democrats as approving of such a thing.

I doubt that at the end of President Obama's term, that there will be even half as many monkeyed-up photos of he and the First Lady as there were of George Bush.

I don't approve of this kind of stuff; I approve of the right to do it.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Yeah it is possible they are just making fun of her... however... two points I would like to raise...

1) Monkey has been used as a racist slur for hundreds of years. When you describe a whole race of people as monkeys you place them in the category of sub-human. A very dangerous thing indeed.

2) I don’t remember seeing attacks on George Bush's wife... i might be wrong... but to attack a man’s wife, when it is the man you have the problem with, is particularly distasteful

Just my opinion

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
George Bush monkey face comparison
Funny George Bush Monkey Animation

142,000 results on google typing in george bush monkey face.
The first site is actually named bushorchimp.com.
Is it possible that they're just making fun of her?
I'll just leave it at that.

This is true, but in America, many racist people and bigots have a history of calling blacks apes and monkies and using it as an insult. However, I need to know in what context this pic was done before I can say it was done out of hatred/racism, but I will say whoever did it had too uch time on their hands.

SIDE NOTE: I don't believe the chimp in the other cartoon represented Obama.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

There is a difference, some people don't want to acknowledge it when it is common sense, everyone American know how African Americans have been potrayed as 'monkeys/apes' since the slavery time. You ever heard of 'tree monkey/porch monkey'.

I'm no fan of the Obama's. But it's plainly obvious to anyone out there that this is racist and I can see the difference between Bush being photo shopped as a monkey compared to the Obama's, one has a racist background and the other doesn't. It's common sense, don't let your dislike for the Obama's blind your judgment.

I'm sure the author knew full well what this would be portrayed as, he/she could have just been seeking media attention. There are other mature ways to criticize the President and this is sadly not one of them, and on another note, why pick Michelle Obama anyways?

Sorry for the grammar errors, i'm sleep deprived right now.

[edit on 11/25/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Racist is ignorence. But then again, how many other disgusting pictures have we seen about other people in power? These kinds of images should just be left to die.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   

distasteful yes.
racist no.
just because obama's black doesn't put him out of the realm of satire.

this is a big problem for me. Questioning people's motives. Getting inside their heads just on the offchance they might be doing something wrong, when the same thing's been done to another.
It's both elitist and bigbrotherish imo.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

I'm canadian i could give two sh@$'s about obama. Americans are freakin' hopeless when it comes to race. period.
people from the left and the right have proven this to me.
.....I missed the racist background i'll take a looksee.

The background looks white. maybe i missed something?
She looks hilarious if you ask me.
Also I'm not ruling out it's racism, but you can't just be like it's obviously racism. Monkey faces are funny. She looks funny with a monkey face superimposed on her. George Bush looks like a monkey with no picture editing. Those are the things i've gotten out of this thread.

The need to manufacture an issue down in the states is the entire basis for your pc problem.
So yeah, if i missed something about the picture's background lemme know.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by heyo]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyo

I'm canadian

Well maybe you should do some research about African Americans be labeled as monkeys or in other words 'sub-human' in American History. Yes it is racist, Like I said I dislike the Obama's but this is going to the extreme.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
You're not supposed to type michelle obama and come up with the monkey michelle obama as a top result, it's not right. It's offensive and there's a button in google for that.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

why the hell would i want to research that. why would i want to have african americans being known as monkeys in history? So I can analyze every usage of the word monkey when a black person's in the room? What purpose does this serve? I refuse the guilt trip, sorry.
I think what needs to happen now is for some people to stop looking for racism.

I will not get into a race debate on ats.
Like they say, "proof or it didn't happen". What works for aliens works for racism.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Why should anyone click on the links you provided? To show other people in the realm of politics have been called monkies or portrayed as such?

History is important.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by heyo

Sorry, but if you have no interest in finding out/learning about Racism... if it’s a subject you want to ignore... then what are you doing even commenting on this subject?

Sorry if I sound rude... it’s not meant to be... it’s just if there was a subject that I have no interest in then I wouldn’t bother commenting on it and just move on to something I do have an interest in.

Peace

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Politics is an ugly business full of people (on both sides) who thrive on the partisan feud s and the tasteless insults. But... this is also part of the landscape; the nature of this particular beast.

Basically, if you swim in a cesspool, you are going to pick up the smell along the way.

Personally speaking, I find the image in very poor taste but... it is what I would expect and do often see from both sides of the red/blue poison koolaide divide.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I broke down I guess. I saw the headline and immediately knew that there would be similiar instances.
Also I've been called monkey many times. My ears stuck out very noticably when i was a kid.
I just ignored it. Or rather I learned to
I was basically the bigeared kid on the nike commercial

maybe that's why being called a monkey doesn't bother me, and is probably why this thread struck a chord.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by EMPIRE
reply to post by heyo

Why should anyone click on the links you provided? To show other people in the realm of politics have been called monkies or portrayed as such?

History is important.

History is not history if people wont let it go. It remains the present. I just wanted to urge people to recognize that there is humour in michelle'o's pic somewhere.
I pulled the humourcard you might say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join