It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon preparing to send 34,000 troops to Afghanistan, official says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Pentagon preparing to send 34,000 troops to Afghanistan, official says

www.cnn.com

The Pentagon is making detailed plans to send about 34,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan in anticipation of President Obama's decision on the future of the eight-year-old war, a defense official said Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Ok so one thing we already know going into this is that there is an exit strategy. We know this because 4 plans were turned down prior that didn't have one.

There are currently 68,000 US troops there and 45,000 NATO troops there... 113,000 Plus 34,000 more will be 147,000

Could we possibly need more? Is this too little? Keep in mind their strategy is also to use civilian and diplomatic forces... so maybe it has to do with what role they play.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

If the strategy is to go in there and patrol the big towns, get hit by IEDs, and try to win hearts and minds, I prefer we just go ahead and bring them home.

The terrorist know all they have to do is wait us out and cause chaos in between.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
In other breaking news...the Obama Administration has created another 34,000 jobs to help those struggling to find work.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Is it enough though?

I mean... why 34,000 was that all we had left?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Is it enough though?

I mean... why 34,000 was that all we had left?

The number of troops depend on what tactics are they gonna apply. For now it seems there are talks with Taliban to bring them back in democracy, there are ongoing operations to secure Afghanistan- Pakistan Border, the porous nature of the border allow the fighters/extremist to launch attack and change boundary.

We can't be sure as to why that number of troops was send. If you are not forgetting few weeks ago, US Army General asked for more troops. So whatever it is, it's gonna be put to use accordingly.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
The little catch however, is that they will not have the full number of boots on the ground until 2012. This also conveniently falls upon the same time at which President Obama will be running again for Office, and it seems somewhat obvious that by delaying the full deployment that long, it will not be until after the elections that anyone can arrive at the conclusion of whether the surge succeeded or not.

They claim that the delay is due to the lack of infrastructure within Afghanistan (ie, Roads, Functional Runways, etc.), but that is a total load of garbage. In France we never even had a port, yet we still managed to land 1 Million Boots on the Ground within a couple of Weeks at Normandy (130,000 on the first day alone) during WWII.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Well, this truely goes to show, obama dosnt or cannot get our bouys back home as he said he would campainging for preisdency. To me, this goes to show, the pentagon and CIA have total totalitarion control over the president. I siad it once, i'll say it again...IF thy really wanted to catch osama bin laden, send the navy seals in, green berets..its a suicide missiion but thats what the risk is...genralize a truthful lcoation of osama wearabuots, you got yuor man. No instead we got 60,000 troops tripping over thier own bootlaces, making troubles for the people thier, and cant seem to find a grain of sand in an entire desert* jsut ruynning in circles like a puppy chasing its own tail. its embarrasing*

new topics

top topics

join