It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Waves on the Sun are Real!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Years ago, when solar physicists first witnessed a towering wave of hot plasma racing along the sun's surface, they doubted their senses. The scale of the thing was staggering

It rose up higher than Earth itself and rippled out from a central point in a circular pattern millions of kilometers in circumference

Skeptical observers suggested it might be a shadow of some kind—a trick of the eye—but surely not a real wave

"Now we know," says Joe Gurman of the Solar Physics Lab at the Goddard Space Flight Center. "Solar tsunamis are real."

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]

A solar tsunami seen by the STEREO spacecraft from orthogonal points of view. The gray part of the animation has been contrast-enhanced by subtracting successive pairs of images, resulting in a "difference movie

Wow, wow , wow!!! this is one of the most amazing "sun-related" things ive ever read or seen.

Higher than the Earth and thousands of KM in Diameter!!! Holy Smoke!!! That makes our Killer Tsunamis sound like a little tiny ripple caused by your little toe in a bathtub!!!

Isnt it just great and mind boggling the fantastic stuff we still find out about our own solar system?!!

science.nasa.gov...

g

[edit on 24-11-2009 by grantbeed]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
more information on this subject can be found here also

stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov...

to be honest, id never heard of this until today!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Gnarly barrels dude.
Cowabunga?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

grab your surfboard phage. SURFS UP!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
At first I pictured oscar the grouch making welcoming gesture, but this is still pretty sweet!!
It makes me want to picture the sun being liquid, but isn't it gas?

Not that it takes away from it's bodaciousness!!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
its hard to believe the scale of this compared to our earth. it just makes me wonder though.

our sun is kinda tiny compared to other stars, imagine the waves on those bad boys.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Don't for get your sunscreen. Make sure it's the good stuff. Like SPF 100000000000000000000000000000

[edit on 25-11-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

No worries.
We'll go at night.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
That is some incredible imaging there! Thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed seeing it.

I have the SOHO screen saver, I really like it. Some of the images are astounding, but this is the coolest ever.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Nice find!

I was reading the articles from the NASA site, and they said there are no direct threats to Earth. But that raises the question...

If they are

"waves of hot plasma and magnetism"

Then why do solar flares affect the Earth? They certainly disrupt our magnetosphere.

One would think that these "waves" would, without a doubt, have an effect on something here on Earth.

Maybe they just haven't found the effects yet.

NASA quote source

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Yet more evidence of influences to our planet's atmospheric conditions that are out of our control?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Because they are confined to the surface of the Sun (unlike solar flares and CMEs), they can't really affect us.

But it does say "no direct threat". There could be secondary effects that we don't know about that could affect us but since the waves have been happening undetected forever there isn't much reason to think so.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

I think as the years go by we are slowly putting more pieces together on our solar System jigsaw. Eventually we will know much more about what effects the sun has on us and our planet.

Im sure with all the new technology up there we will keep being suprised for a long time to come !!

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by havok

Because they are confined to the surface of the Sun (unlike solar flares and CMEs), they can't really affect us.

But it does say "no direct threat". There could be secondary effects that we don't know about that could affect us but since the waves have been happening undetected forever there isn't much reason to think so.

Valid point. I guess if we haven't felt the effects in the past, without knowing about them, then there might not be any.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fanthorpe

wel well well out of our control!!! although maybe Al Gore would disagree.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Lets get Stargates Destiny 100% operational and fly it into one of those for a recharge....

On a serious note, I'm looking forward to the spaceweather.com... study findings on this one. Even though it looks like they currently are running with the nasa release.

posted on Nov, 26 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

It will be good to read more on this, I agree. Its interesting how there has been so much news about the Sun over the last year or so.

With what should be a period of rising activity on the Sun, im sure there will be lots more interesting reads to come.

g

new topics

top topics

join