It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Navy SEALs Face Assault Charges for Capturing Most-Wanted Terrorist

www.foxnews.com

Ahmed Hashim Abed, whom the military code-named "Objective Amber," told investigators he was punched by his captors — and he had the bloody lip to prove it.

Now, instead of being lauded for bringing to justice a high-value target, three of the SEAL commandos, all enlisted, face assault charges and have retained lawyers.

Matthew McCabe, a Special Operations Petty Officer Second Class (SO-2), is facing three charges: dereliction of performance of duty for willfully failing to safeguard a detainee, making a false official statement, and assault.

Petty Officer Jonathan Keefe, SO-2, is
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm glad these war criminals are being prosecuted! The freedom fighters have rights, and what the SEALs did was not justified. Capturing a person who was trying to defend his country is WRONG and ILLEGAL! Not to mention busting his lip is even worse, probably far worse then beheadings because it leaves wounds that can be painful.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well that's just stupid..
You don't send a SEALs team unless you want someone assaulted... D'oh..

When you want total destruction that's when you send in the Marines

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
What a load of crap.

He got a fat lip?!

Throw him on the ring with Ali and its called boxing, but when three NS give some poor bugger a fat lip in the line of duty...this is laughable.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
They are playing your own rules against you.
Yes, totally disgusting that something like this can come to reality, but im sure thats what the arabs said about 911 and Iraq.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
And people wonder why it is a bad idea to give Foreign people captured on the battle field civilian trials?

This is ridiculous and makes me very angry. I feel bad for the Seals, but on the bright side if the admin keeps interjecting politics into everything if they ever decide to declare martial law there won't be anybody to enforce it.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Let no man say that American troops are not held to the highest professional standards.

The truth will be known and justice will be served.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Terrorists deserve more than a bloody lip. Way more...

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
No, this is the BS that happens when political correctness asshattedness and bureaucratic bleeding hearts sympathize for and with the enemy.

The bastard is a terrorist, not a red cross volunteer for crying out loud.
The SOB is lucky he didn't get his jaw broken and his limbs hog tied behind his back.

They don't play by rules, yet US Military are bound by them. The is doing things by the book, then their is retarded f'n BS!

This is reterded f'n BS and they know it, playing the game is going to get some of these dip# no load paper pushing puss nuts a busted face and buried in their back yards.

Freaking idiots started the war, now they cry because it is making them look bad when the Armed Forces does it's job.

The military is trained for war, not policing and hand holding.

These bleeding heart apologistic sympathizers need to wake up and re evaluate who's side they are on.

Because it is starting to look like to opposite one to me.

Bloody lip please, had one when I was 5 and the only damage it caused was to my little kid feelings. Did "Ahmed Hashim Abed" aka THE TERRORIST have his feelings hurt....

Ah poor whiddle terrorist, come here so Uncle Sam can kiss it GOOD BYE!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by capgirl

Ya next time just shoot them.

Save the taxpayers a lot of money and solve the problem at the same time.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Originally posted by capgirl

Ya next time just shoot them.

Save the taxpayers a lot of money and solve the problem at the same time.

Exactly, which is how things are supposed to work.

Not any more though I guess, now it's go get the bad guys, but oh please don't hurt them...wtf ever..

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
well im sure all of these are good points, but you guys seemed to have missed the bit where he gave a false statement...

dereliction of performance of duty for willfully failing to safeguard a detainee, making a false official statement, and assault.

now i support any soldiers doing thier jobs, and doingthem well. but a false statement brings all of this into question. if they were just doing thier job. which for seals is one hell of a hard time... why make up sh*t about it.

just asking...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This is ridiculous and makes me very angry. I feel bad for the Seals, but on the bright side if the admin keeps interjecting politics into everything if they ever decide to declare martial law there won't be anybody to enforce it.

Spam removed by Admin

[edit on Nov 24th 2009 by Djarums]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Part of the problem with this whole War on Terror is that we are in fact violating our own Constitutional principles day in and day out.

We don't consider these men soldiers so they aren't treated with Geneva Convention accords.

Yet we don't give them the due process civilians are afforded either.

It's not very popular but hanging these charges on people in a way where they really are nothing but accusations since they aren't being treated as soldiers and a military tribunal has not found them to be guilty of something, and they aren't being treated as civilians either and no court has found them guilty of something, but we are in fact kidnapping these people and torturing them and then alleging they have confessed these accusations is just wrong.

It's embarassing that we are running all around the world snatching and kidnapping people beating them and torturing them in the process and we are not doing it in any regulated civilized agreed upon lawful way.

The Navy Seals are/were just following orders but the reality is how we are waging this war on terror is making us look worse than the so called terrorists and we are inflicting a lot more damage on innocent civilians and violating a lot more rights of people in the process than the so called terrorists.

I live in Miami and honestly what goes on in Afghanistan or Iraq or Saudi Arabia or Yemen is NOT MY BUSINESS. If people who live there want to kill each other THATS THEIR BUSINESS not our business.

We are creating our own terorist problem by terrorizing the people who live in these countries and NOT MINDING OUR OWN BUSINESS.

This constant and incessent brainwashing of that anyone who has a terrorist sticker attached to them by the U.S. or Israeli Government deserves what ever happens to them is just plain UN-AMERICAN.

We need to knock this nonsense off before we really do upset the people of those countries whose lives and rights we keep violating.

Might does not make right.

Our forefathers did not want us running an empire and taking sides in conflicts and they sure didn't want us throwing every constitutional rule and every international treaty, convention and accord out the window to do it either.

[edit on 24/11/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Well, to me this just takes capture and detain off the table for SF.

That only leaves one outcome.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Totally shoot them! They should just be put to death right there. Seriously. ARgh...I feel sorry for the SEALs...so pathetic.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
A bloody lip is even newsworthy?They could have just brought back the s.o.b.s head.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
What?

So, as a SEAL you can kill a hundred people and face no repercussions, but punch someone in the face and you get punished?

Well that's weird, isn't it?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I think that the problem is that the prisoner received his injuries after having been placed in custody.

At this point, we don't know much, but it is good that our troops are held to high standards.

These men could have taken NJPs and probably the punishments would have been relatively mild and no one would have heard of it. Dereliction of duty sounds terrible, but it's not that big a deal, depending on the circumstances.

I think that it was correct for the SEALs to request courts-martial, given these circumstances and the political implications.

The stakes will be raised, but they will be able to plead their cases.

It should be noted that most of the service members who have been charged with in these kinds of cases have been acquitted.

The military is sensitive to charges of detainee abuse highlighted in the Abu Ghraib prison scandal.

www.foxnews.com...

[edit on 2009/11/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Being a soldier in any branch for any reasons... you HAVE to do your duty/job unless it is completely unlawful and perhaps macabre at its worst. If you don't you will either die by turning your back when you are in the situation (i.e. when they went to nab him) or you will be prosecuted in some sense by your Commanding Officer and so on and so forth.
So it seems it was a lose/lose situation for these SEALS. They're tough enough to take it but this is just politically correct bull#.

Why are we being so sensitive to everyone but ourselves? Why are we neglecting our people? I am not very hard-headed but I am getting tired of all this sensitive he-said she-said b.s.... Sure this wasn't dealt with many words but the job is done nonetheless.

If this continues to its maximum I could foresee that words will become a jail'able offense if not more. This is going further into what could come to pass if we start weeping for our enemies instead of our own dead or dying. So.. ok... heh
Cheers

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Choiseul]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join