It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If children tease you about being bald, You can kill them.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

If that stuff is true, then it's entirely possible that Hidden_Hand(Lucifer/Satan) is one of the good guys. Is Yahweh Enki?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by crmanager

Look pal it's proof on how the Israeli's where taking the old testament seriously when it comes to them killing the Palestinians

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost in the Machine

Maybe it was coincidence. Maybe with all the commotion they came between the bears and their cubs.

Did you ever see Children of the Corn? Run Elisha! Run! His life may have been in danger. Where did the gang of probably many more (hey some had to have got away) than 42 children come from? Their parents probably put them up to it, in a blatant disrespect of God's prophet.
Maybe God did put the bears up to it, and spared the world from 42 soon to be Hitlers. You judge. You were not there. You did not know the situation, the culture or the people involved. If it was God that acted, He knew what they would grow up to be. He also has the power to bring them back if He chooses.

Did you Read 2 Kings chapter 4 ? According to the story the same Elisha raised the Shunammite maiden's son from the dead.....from the dead! Come on, give the guy some credit.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

Thank you. I'll post some more stories when I have the time. I find it funny to see how I recieve so many negative comments, Yet I am Christian as well. Why cant most Christians just accept that fact that God isnt as holy as the bible says he is.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

24: And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

"... In the name of the LORD..."

It wasnt him that had the bears come and kill the children. It was the lord.

You also say that God killed them becuase he knew what they would grow up to be. Are you saying that when God killed all of the children in the flood, They were all going to grow and and be bad? Im sure out of the millions and millions of kids alive then, Im sure atleast one of them would have turned out OK.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Ghost in the Machine]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Did you read my whole post?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dusty1

why is it so easy for people of fair the shrug off the many, many offensive sections of the bible and yet were i to suggest that jesus never turned water into wine -it was just that people pretended to make the wife feel better- or that he never walked on water - he just swam and people were impressed - or that he wasn't resurected he just fell into a coma then awoke - or that he wasn't the son of god just some guy who was fairly smart - or that god is just a concept created to fill in gaps in human understanding.... that's crazy talk right?

don't you feel thats a little.....whats the word? hypocritical? cherry picking? dishonest? cheating?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Did you read 2Kings Chapter 4?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

You are being evasive. We were talking about Elisha. Why are you changing the subject?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I fail to see how this thread qualifies for BTS. Its really annoying when threads get moved...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost in the Machine

If that is not enough, when she is found by her husband, he chops her up into twelve pieces which he sends to each of the twelve tribes of Israel.

You have omitted the proceeding verses which states a rather ingenious and very valid reason why the woman was chopped and would have given an opposite meaning in what you're trying to portray, especially against the Levite. If you did it intentionally, you have just lost credibility of your post.

She was chopped for the body parts be sent to the twelve tribes so everyone will see the extreme wickedness of the Benjamites(the tribe of the rapists).

***They had no cameras back in those days to take pictures. The chopped parts instead served as evidence of the cruelty done by the Benjamites to this woman. The Benjamites were later punished/cursed/stripped of some rights for their actions to foreigners/strangers as well as their wickedness. The husband wasn't cold to his concubine, he was actually seeking justice by sending a very strong message to the Israelites against the Benjamites***

**As for the Fig Tree, again, is a very symbolic message - that good deed aren't supposed to be seasonal - example: people are only nice during Christmas... That like the fig tree, we ourselves will wither if we are only nice and helpful only when we want to...**

**As for Elijah, smiting kids with bears - that is in OT
** Although on a side note, young children tend to have a very strong affinity to either good or evil, not both! I've known young children who are very evil. Probably that verse, didn't detail the whole thing - children of vipers??

[edit on 25-11-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The bible is very candid and it doesn't hide the unpleasant things that went on.

Most of these examples from our cultural viewpoint seem to be overkill.

But I am not about to question the sovereign of the universe, who's justice is perfect.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think it depends more on how you interpret the Bible.

There are two basic theories concerning the origins of the Bible. The first theory states that God dictated the Bible, word for word. Therefore the Bible must be taken literally, can contain no flaws unless purposefully placed there by God (to test their faith, apparently). This is the viewpoint most fundamentalists embrace, and is summed up well by the often-used quip: "The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it."

The other viewpoint is that the Bible was inspired by God, but interpreted by humans. Therefore, the reader must take into account cultural dictates, personal perceptions and bias, and the very real likelihood of errors in translation. The more liberal group of Christians generally postulate this theory, which does have its drawbacks: how do you decide what is "truth" in the Bible and what is translation/cultural "error?"

How you view the origins of the Bible will directly impact your reactions to such stories. After all, if you can say that the stories were a result of a person's misunderstanding about the nature of God, then you really have no basis for argument. If, however, you accept the Bible as the absolute and final word, then you do need to address the apprent discrepancy in the idea of a loving God causing such harm.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Hi Smylegirl--

Actually there are other viewpoints, including the one that goes: the clan god of the Jews is a clear reflection of the racist, xenophobic, sexist, contradictory, violent, superstitious, pre-scientific, gullible and impossibly arrogant pre- and post-Exilic 'semi-nomadic' groups that placed such paleoHebrew words into his mouth, rather than coming from an actual living being.

A close-reading of the paleo Hebrew texts of the socalled 'Old Testament' (and a working knowledge of the Samaritan Pentateuch, the proto-Masoretic text, the Hebrew and Aramaic Vorlag (underlay) to the Septuaginta (Greek OT, aka LXX) and the various contradictory copies of the Hebrew 'scriptures' found amongst the jumbled fragments of the Dead Sea Scroll material at Qumran (sealed up in 68CE during the 1st failed Jewish War against Rome, as sort of a Time Capsule of what the state of all the MSS of the 'bible' looked like around the time of R. Yehoshua bar Yosef the Galilean Nazir, Gr. Ieous, aka 'Jeeezuzz' to American Christians) will show you at a glance (along with a study of what remains of Origen's HEXAPLA) that we are not dealing with a single document (no matter what modern day Rabbi tries to tell you about the socalled midiaeval Masoretic text being 'authoritative', which single pointed (vowelled) text version in fact derives from a SINGLE MS from Leningrad arond 960CE i.e. much later than the Dead Sea Scrolls !) .

So the argument that 'the bible says it...' begs the question, WHICH bible since the oldest texts contained NO VOWELLS (then try reading it !!) and moreober there were at least 5 versions of the Hebrew scriptures circulating in antiquity, with as much as 20% of a letter-by-letter difference between them...

As for the New Testament, we are dealing with 5446 Greek MSS no two of which are exactly alike. And the 'quotations' of the Hebrew Scriptures in Greek translations are also reflective of other stranger versions of the Old Testament (e.g. in the 1st canonical gospel i.e. 'of Matthew' whoever he was) which are otherwise un-attested by any material evidence, even among the Dead Sea Scrolls cave time capsules.

So, to posit ONE HOLY BOOK out of such a mish-mash of contradictory manuscript evidence now having come to light among even the general public (if they only bothered to look at the evidence for themselves, and learn a little about the original languages these texts were written in, which very very very very very few so-called 'bible believers' ever do !) would be shall we say, epistomelogically 'incoherent' to say the least !

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

To the OP

Looks it simple, either yo believe in God or you don't believe in God. If you don't believe in God, you cant use scripture as factoral histoyical evident as truth. As in the bible is not truthful for you.

If you do believe in God, then most likley you do believe the bible as the word of God, and that all things happen for reason. Remember bad things happen too cuz sin and evil are in the world.

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Hi SlyMatB

What happens if you find a fella who believes in God, just not in YHWH the vicious clan-god of post Exilic Yisro'el in the Bible?

What makes you think that there is only ONE 'clan-god' and ONE book to believe in? Especially one that has 'a master race' er...'a chosen people' to favour over others on this tiny worthless little planet?

posted on Dec, 8 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb

To the OP

Looks it simple, either yo believe in God or you don't believe in God. If you don't believe in God, you cant use scripture as factoral histoyical evident as truth. As in the bible is not truthful for you.

If you do believe in God, then most likley you do believe the bible as the word of God, and that all things happen for reason. Remember bad things happen too cuz sin and evil are in the world.

The problem is either he accidentally or deliberately misinterpreted or left out parts in his OP to make Christianity look worse.

Look at the verse he discussed:

Judges 19:22-29

Verse 29 he did not bother to elaborate:
29 When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel. 30 Everyone who saw it said, "Such a thing has never been seen or done, not since the day the Israelites came up out of Egypt. Think about it! Consider it! Tell us what to do!"

And here's the reason why the Levite had to cut his concubine in several places Judges 20:1-8

4 So the Levite, the husband of the murdered woman, said, "I and my concubine came to Gibeah in Benjamin to spend the night. 5 During the night the men of Gibeah came after me and surrounded the house, intending to kill me. They raped my concubine, and she died. 6 I took my concubine, cut her into pieces and sent one piece to each region of Israel's inheritance, because they committed this lewd and disgraceful act in Israel. 7 Now, all you Israelites, speak up and give your verdict."

8 All the people rose as one man, saying, "None of us will go home. No, not one of us will return to his house. 9 But now this is what we'll do to Gibeah: We'll go up against it as the lot directs. 10 We'll take ten men out of every hundred from all the tribes of Israel, and a hundred from a thousand, and a thousand from ten thousand, to get provisions for the army. Then, when the army arrives at Gibeah [a] in Benjamin, it can give them what they deserve for all this vileness done in Israel." 11 So all the men of Israel got together and united as one man against the city.

The Levite had to cut her to send out evidence of abuse to Israel against the Benjamites. They had no digital cameras back in the days to take pictures, or any any modern crime evidence gathering techniques we have today so it had to be done...

posted on Dec, 9 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sigismundus

Apparently, someone else must have majored in religious studies besides me!

I agree with everything you just added. I think we are making the same point (but yours was much more indepth): how you interpret the Bible will be based on how you view the Bible (including its origins).

I think the canonization issue is one of the most troubling aspects of "the Bible" myself....its never quite set well with me how they determine some books to be "the word of God" and others not. But that's just me.

Thanks for the added information! It was a really interesting read!

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Regardless of how I stated it. Does it change the facts? No. The reason I didnt elaborate is also stated in the OP. I didnt feel the need to because I left the example of the Flood and S&G. Sure God has his reason to flood the earth and for destroying S&G, But in any case, The means do not justify the end. Im sure that when he flooded the eath that he killed all the wicked, But what about all the innocent children he also slaughtered, Same situation with S&G.

So riddle me this, Is it alright to kill? If you answered no tell me why? Doesnt God teach us to follow his example?

Also, Because you have a major in religion doesnt not mean you understand God more than anyone else, Perhaps religion, But not God.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

So you've made a point about one story, What about the rest... Cant really elaborate much on the rest because theres nothing to go of.

<< 1    3 >>

join