It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adorable animals: Does Jesus kill kittens or is it evolution?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Religion should not be knocked. It gave us beautiful songs, such as "All things bright and beautiful" which nowadays has a banned realist verse:

Refrain

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.

Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colors,
He made their tiny wings.

Refrain

[Most hymnals omit the following verse]

TextThe rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
He made them, high or lowly,
And ordered their estate.

Refrain
(www.cyberhymnal.org...)

Nice, but why is stanza 3 now banned?
In any case, it also gave us cute, statesmen-like baby Jesuses.
For example: Ugliest baby Jesus ever. photo page-severystockphoto www.everystockphoto.com... (just type in "Go" bar, "Ugliest baby Jesus".)

[edit on 24-11-2009 by halfoldman]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Jesus doesn't kill kittys. I do, Jesus just likes to watch

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

Erm, interesting, could you expand on that a little bit?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

perhaps I could say that some creatures are so cute; I just wanna bunny-hug them for ever and ever.
A lot of people, and politics/religion have that dichotomy of beguiling cuteness AND IMPLIED OR DIRECT HORROR.
It's always strange to get a "don't judge" Pollyanna attitude the one moment, and "burn in hell" the next.
I'd luv to live in Tellytubby land.
Soft bunnies, rolling acid hills, and gentle tubbies with flowers in their ariels, and handbags.
We have this big metaphor of inter-species and inter-race/class tranquility at the end of the pie-in-the-sky rainbow. Perhaps in heaven, finally, people can see other people as cute. (I suppose it won't take much, since god will filter out all who disagree.)
Generally our Western culture keeps billions of animals imprisoned on factory farms. Cute chickens from animation movies, and even mice and mongrel dogs. So I think our notion of "cute" is usually in a setting of wilfull ignorance.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Re-meditating on my original OP, I realize the post is somewhat concerned with metaphors and reality. We engage in anthropomorphism all the time, and what is that but targeted metaphor?
Will a "lion" that is passive and vegetarian still be a a Lion? With such Biblical metaphors, are essential qualities not removed? Will a non-married male like Jesus still be considered a hetero "man" in our current society?
And then, if God is omnipotent is he not responsible for every life - PERSONALLY?

[edit on 30-11-2009 by halfoldman]

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Bad history, but funny nevertheless!

Cats and dogs are cute because they've been bred to look that way. The cuter - more baby-ish the animal is, the more coddling and attention it gets from humans. Such an animal ends up more healthy and is usually the last one eaten, so has more chance to pass on its genes.

We also think baby alligators are cute. "Cuteness" is basically a reaction in our brain telling us to not eat our own chubby, big-eyed, gurgling veal briskets.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by NatureBoy

Religion should not be knocked. It gave us beautiful songs, such as "All things bright and beautiful" which nowadays has a banned realist verse:

Refrain

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.

Each little flower that opens,
Each little bird that sings,
He made their glowing colors,
He made their tiny wings.

Refrain

[Most hymnals omit the following verse]

TextThe rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
He made them, high or lowly,
And ordered their estate.

Refrain
(www.cyberhymnal.org...)

Nice, but why is stanza 3 now banned?
In any case, it also gave us cute, statesmen-like baby Jesuses.
For example: Ugliest baby Jesus ever. photo page-severystockphoto www.everystockphoto.com... (just type in "Go" bar, "Ugliest baby Jesus".)

Well, given the poverty that a majority of Christians the world over live in, I kinda doubt their "leaders" want them to be thinking god made them poor.

Incidentally the idea of "god made me rich and he made you poor" still exists, and is especially strong in the united States. it's the prosperity doctrine. "God rewarded me for my faith, you're poor, so you must not be faithful enough"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join