It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why won't God heal amputees?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Sounds to me like the OP wants to do little more than attempt to "debunk" *in the OPs own words* a concept that he or she does not agree with. Using tired illogical arguments...

They may be tired and illogical to us, but to a newer explorer it may seem like new ground. I know what you mean though, I had a bad case of "grumpy old man" syndrome a week ago where I took the tone of "geez, again? Please use the search function" kind of response. A few posts later, I realized this person was really wrestling with the issue internally and felt a little bad about my coarse tone. Maybe some people respond well to 'tough love', but it sounds like many here are frustrated by the 'just believe it or go away' attitude of some faith-goers.

..like if such a being existed that, that being absolutely would HAVE TO act in the capacity of some sort of cosmic Superman.

Aha! Good deal, now you're getting into why the argument seems illogical. It's true, God doesn't HAVE TO do anything, and in addition there is a purpose to the 'bad stuff' although it's hard for us to try to understand what that purpose is. These concepts are not easy.

Not also to forget his evangellical atheist tone as evidenced in his response to you.

I didn't forget ^_^, but hey, I'm an evangelical Christian (or so I'm told) so fair is fair. Apologies for parsing your words and am grateful for your insights on the thread.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
reply to post by reasonable

you are missing my point in your effort to further project some sort of agenda..whatever it is.

first off..crusades were done politically under the religious guise....same as 9/11.

but i'll spell out my point for you:

if i am sitting here and say i believe that the desk in front of me is inhabited by the wood god. i choose to pray to it, to worship it. These actions do not hurt you. If I walk up to you and say "OMG I have GOT to tell you about this god i am worshiping" you can either indulge me, and participate in a RESPECTFUL discussion as to why you think I am retarded, or say " not thanks, i'm set" and walk away.

why prod at these people?

i usually find the Provocateurs are secretly closet believers in the very thing they are trying to instigate a reaction out of. Usually but not always, the individual is either too lazy, stupid or a combination of the two to actually figure out the problem. So they dig themselves into a pit of single minded ignorance and throw barbs at passersby, in the vain hope that someone much wiser and smarter than them will defeat their view point and pull them out of the logic trap they themselves have fallen victim to.

When i see people like this my first instinct is to engage them in logical debate, but i soon realize this is a waste of my time because all the protagonist wants to do is waste HIS/HER time and mine along with it.

Hopefully that answers your question as to why someone MIGHT go out of their way to provoke an individual or a group.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Aha! Good deal, now you're getting into why the argument seems illogical. It's true, God doesn't HAVE TO do anything, and in addition there is a purpose to the 'bad stuff' although it's hard for us to try to understand what that purpose is. These concepts are not easy.

It's blaringly illogical. It's rather like saying birds don't exist if they don't fly. Or to put the exact term to it, it's a circular argument or begging the question fallacy.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

And that there are Christians in existance that would tell you that their Bible is NOT the exact "word of god" but more a divinely inspired *not literal and direct from the horses mouth so to speak or unchanged though* book of myth and allagory?

Well, that's convenient isn't it.

You didn't have to dodge the info in my last post like you did. How about some role play.. you play a christian and tell me if that info could lead one to believe all prayers are answered by believers. As far as being foolish.. to look at the evidence presented from the bible and then say my assumptions are illogical is beyond foolish.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

you are missing my point in your effort to further project some sort of agenda..whatever it is.

first off..crusades were done politically under the religious guise....same as 9/11.

but i'll spell out my point for you:

if i am sitting here and say i believe that the desk in front of me is inhabited by the wood god. i choose to pray to it, to worship it. These actions do not hurt you. If I walk up to you and say "OMG I have GOT to tell you about this god i am worshiping" you can either indulge me, and participate in a RESPECTFUL discussion as to why you think I am retarded, or say " not thanks, i'm set" and walk away.

why prod at these people?

i usually find the Provocateurs are secretly closet believers in the very thing they are trying to instigate a reaction out of. Usually but not always, the individual is either too lazy, stupid or a combination of the two to actually figure out the problem. So they dig themselves into a pit of single minded ignorance and throw barbs at passersby, in the vain hope that someone much wiser and smarter than them will defeat their view point and pull them out of the logic trap they themselves have fallen victim to.

When i see people like this my first instinct is to engage them in logical debate, but i soon realize this is a waste of my time because all the protagonist wants to do is waste HIS/HER time and mine along with it.

Hopefully that answers your question as to why someone MIGHT go out of their way to provoke an individual or a group.

There is nothing illogical. I have posted excerpts from the bible 4 times in this thread which states numerous times in the texts that prayers will be answered and yet they are not. So I am 'denying ignorance' and asking why. Yet all I get is babble, being ignored and told I am illogical. The evidence is logical and speaks for itself.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Actually I did not dodge. I answered you. But in case you missed it:

1) Why, exactly, am I going to pretend a position I do not agree with in order to placate you and in your mind prove your illogical premise? Especially in light of the fact that I pointed out the fact that there are certain individuals in existance that view their holy book as such?

2) I said you look foolish when you jumped to conclusions not that you were foolish or even a fool. Though it does show a distressing abuse of context I usually attribute to fools that you would decide I was calling you a fool.
Not to mention the infantile attempt to turn the imagined *as it was purely imagined* insult back to me. But that is neither here nor there.

3) See my above post to saint.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   

There is nothing illogical. I have posted excerpts from the bible 4 times in this thread which states numerous times in the texts that prayers will be answered and yet they are not. So I am 'denying ignorance' and asking why. Yet all I get is babble, being ignored and told I am illogical. The evidence is logical and speaks for itself.

You appear to be focusing exclusively on the people who are making excuses. Why?

I find it very interesting that people "of faith" feel the need to suggest that regenerating a lost limb would interfere with free will, of that only prayers that "god approves of" are granted, or any other excuse being offered. I don't think these are good excuses. If god can create the universe, then restoring a leg seems simple enogh. But even the people who claim to believe in god act as if they believe that their prayers for a regenerated limb would not be granted.

To the believers I ask: why wouldn't they be?

So i repeat my suggestion from several pages ago: why not put it to the test?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I could not or would not read all the posts.

Here is a question.

If I am mentally handicapped, does that mean I should be solved?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Here's a question. Satan has the power to heal too. If he want to rule the world with followers, why doesn't he heal the amputees?

As for as God, The best answer we have is it must not be in Gods plan for our lives. God doesn't interfere in mans life this way but sometimes let these things happen to man to test his faith.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
Here's a question. Satan has the power to heal too. If he want to rule the world with followers, why doesn't he heal the amputees?

As for as God, The best answer we have is it must not be in Gods plan for our lives. God doesn't interfere in mans life this way but sometimes let these things happen to man to test his faith.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by JohnPhoenix]

Or maybe. Just maybe.... going out on a limb here (no pun intended) there is no god. What answer is more believable? An all powerful sky daddy that has a complex plan for us hairless apes involving random miracles, tests of faith and works in mysterious unknown ways.. no wait! It might also be SATAN! or....

My main theory is that REALITY is a bitch. Reality is huge and only some minds can cope with it (Agnostics & Atheists). Other minds need to latch onto and cling to something that grounds them, protects them, looks over them. "I can't accept the enormity of this existence, this reality, so Lord I give my existence to you". That is why those minds choose religion, because otherwise they could not cope with true existence and implode..

[edit on 25-11-2009 by reasonable]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
why wont god blindly believers shut the [SNIP] up?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by _damon
why wont god blindly believers shut the[SNIP] up?

I can't understand your sentence.

Ah.. are you saying why don't god damned believers stfu?

Well, I dunno.. you would think they would be out doing charity work, not posting on internet forums.

Mod Edit: Removed quoted censor circumvention.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Even if a god healed a amputee, some people will not believe it. And the rest will find a god in a piece of toast.

Don't throw pearls before swine.

I fail to see what a healed amputee would prove? I'm religious, and I would doubt it. How much more would you doubt it?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
post deleted

second line.

[edit on 023030p://f43Wednesday by Selahobed]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Some who accuse others of small mindedness should pay a little more attention to themselves. Case in point, you claim you can sucessfully refute the idea of a "god" based on what one religion specifically the Christian religion says. When in fact, not even Christianity is at complete consensus with what exactly they believe, thus the denominations.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Why won't God heal amputees?

Because he's simply too busy sorting out backache , what the hell dude amputees have a purpose.

Watch this guy grow a leg !!!
David Blaine ? blah an amature

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Some who accuse others of small mindedness should pay a little more attention to themselves. Case in point, you claim you can sucessfully refute the idea of a "god" based on what one religion specifically the Christian religion says. When in fact, not even Christianity is at complete consensus with what exactly they believe, thus the denominations.

So because christians are confused and unsure what it is exactly they are supposed to believe, that means I should just 'not go there'. Ok, thanks but no thanks.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

When did I say that?
Gee you assume much. But it IS funny that you would claim they do have a consensus when it suites you. And that is just CHristianity I am talking about just now. You go farther and call ALL "religion" refuted by your arguments against Christianity despite the rather large differences that can be found. Illogical at best amongst other things. Thus my previous statements.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by msnevil

Even if a god healed a amputee, some people will not believe it.

Don't be ridiculousness , the US is up in arms over the health care program, yet is one of the most xtian countries on the planet.

If this can be done why the hell would people need any health insurance or even a doctor.

As I recall when Princess Diana was doing her charity stint with land mine victims, not one of those kids had their amputated (blown off) limbs regenerated.

There was a perfect opportunity there for xtians to help some kids out and show the world that what they preach is true.
No one in their right mind would argue with a whole bunch of kids getting their limbs regenerated.

Options -
Jesus lied
Jesus is imaginary
I'm a demon

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Yes because if "god" did exist he would act like a cosmic Superman. Rrrrriiiiggghhhhtttt.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join