It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why won't God heal amputees?

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by cjcord

In one word?

You have misunderstood faith, my friend, no matter in how many words.

Faith = trusting evidence of things not seen.

Suggesting 'not being allowed to ask for proof' weakens the validity of faith is simply symptomatic of confusion as to what faith is. You imply that unless you see something happen you cannot gain the conviction that it took place. If such an assumption were reliable the entire legal system would have no validity. As it is, when jurors conclude that the evidence is compelling, a case is adjudged to have been 'proven' beyond reasonable doubt. Whereas legal culpability is decided in a court of law on the basis of evidence presented, the veracity of the Christian faith (alluded to in the context of this thread) is decided within the confines of a person's mind specifically on the basis of the study of the Bible, particularly the New Testament. In neither case would it be reasonable to demand ultimate 'proof' as a decision has to be taken on the basis of events that by their very nature are non-reatable, i.e. they are in the past.

Christians believe the Creator of all things - animate and inanimate, the laws of physics and nature, and indeed the very universe itself entered the world as a man, at a particular point in history, for a particular purpose. They believe his life was foretold in exquisite detail centuries, even millennia beforehand, and documented for posterity. Then fulfilled to the letter.

It is up to each individual to decide whether the documents of the New Testament are reliable. To some people they prove that Christ was who he said he was beyond all reasonable doubt - and thus that he was indeed able to heal any malady with a mere word.

Well, that's rational.

Indeed it is.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hey everyone, listen for the violins here.

God won't remove my cellulite, won't give me a boob lift, and I'd really like to have permanent eyeliner and my lips dyed. I don't know how many times I've prayed that You would turn these gray hairs back to Auburn. I guess this changes things God. I may have to rethink if YOU exist.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by Bombeni]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127

I am sorry my friend, but if there has to be evidence of something for you to believe in it, that is a weakness as it related to religion. Faith, is just that, belief in the absence of scientific proof. Now those that have profound faith will argue that they see and feel proof everyday. And that is the paradox....

If you do not choose to believe that is your choice. It does not make some illogical or stupid for believing in religion. In fact, I would argue that people actually allowing themselves to succumb to a higher power and the idea of divine intentions actually make people stronger and happier. From what I have seen, the most miserable people I have ever known have been the atheists and those that view everything in life as some cold and calculating. If you or anyone else chooses to live that way, thats their choice. Although, as myself and other believers can attest, there is a much larger, wondrous, and happy world out there than that.

Faith is is believing in something with no scientific, or most importantly rational, proof. It is, for example, totally irrational to believe in the Divine Command Theory of Morality, yet many do. When I ask why, they say: 'I have faith.' In matters of great importance such as the immortality of the soul and the existence of God, if we don't use our highest brain functioning, we are wasting our potential for truth.

And it may be that Atheists are generally less happy, but that changes nothing. If life were about being happy, I see no reason to object to a Brave New World scenario with chemicals to appease your every desire. The quest for knowledge is about truth, not emotions or states of being.

[edit on 27-1-2010 by Alexander_Supertramp]

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
Hey everyone, listen for the violins here.

God won't remove my cellulite, won't give me a boob lift, and I'd really like to have permanent eyeliner and my lips dyed. I guess this changes things God. I may have to rethink if YOU exist.

Now, see how silly that sounds?

Yes talking to an imaginary friend about anything is extremely silly. You'll get just as far praying to Tinkerbell.

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
OMG this has gone on way too long i have been gone a month and came back and this crap is still going.
Why won't God heal amputees?
Due to class restrictions

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

LOL! I understand your point of view, but eh, let them learn/teach if they want.
As I've said previous, you are the Creator, heal it yourself. Or you can be lazy and look for outer help.

=)

posted on Jan, 27 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 4stral4pprentice

I agree, i think a better question is What could heal amputees? instead this kind of comes off like just another attempt to troll christians.

posted on Feb, 1 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
without reading your post, i'll state that we could regenerate lost limbs if we had lizard DNA recombined with Human DNA. We probably have all sorts of other advantages too, such as thicker skin, but a drawback would be an aversion to cold...

[edit on 2/1/2010 by Brainiac]

posted on Feb, 3 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

This is one of the silliest articles I have ever read. I don't believe in any religion and quite frankly want nothing to do with anyone who does... That said, this article proves and debunks a whole lot of nothing.

I don't see how god doing 'obvious' things in the past would mean he should restore amputees' limbs. In fact, I don't get why this is even close to worth discussing.

If I felt like it, I could make a webpage "Why doesn't God extinguish your cigaretter every time you try and light it" and fill it with all sorts of 'well-thought out' arguments, but it would still amount to squat.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
God so loved the amputee that he's given them the best parking spots.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I know my views won't likely garner fans, but I'm going to lay it out there regardless....

First of all, we ARE God, God is us, God is around us, God is IN us, God is everything.

Second, Christ has not returned yet....meaning, that which is the "savior" within us, is not in us yet, or is not activated yet. But we're close. We're getting there. About every 2,000 years or so we cycle around back into the age of the Christos. The age in which the "anointed ones" will walk the earth, and also when we will have Christ within us as well....as within, so without. Can't have one without the other!

Third, since this is a case about God, I feel safe in bringing up Biblical texts where Jesus stated that we would do miracles like him, and even GREATER ones than those. Making the dead walk again makes spontaneous regeneration of amputated limbs seem like child's play, but maybe that's just me. I can't imagine anything much greater than that, can you? We already have creatures on this earth that regenerate amputated limbs, so it's not so far-fetched to think we might also do that one day.

So, whether we choose to argue this with science or faith, makes no difference....it's all about what you choose to believe. Scientists are already regenerating cells at will, so technically, it's already happening. As far as regenerating entire limbs, I'd say give it time. But that's science. God has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that his miracles can trump science every day of the week and twice on Sunday, where even the best medical doctors can't explain what happened. Perhaps it's already happened and not in the mainstream. Or perhaps just bringing up this topic into human consciousness will be enough to trigger it, and we'll end up reading about it in a few months. There are a LOT of weird things in this world....a LOT.

There are reports of children being able to regenerate finger tips after they were cut off in accidents, by the way. In my mind, if the spinal cord is in tact, there should be no reason why it CAN'T regenerate limbs. Think of a tree that's been cut down....it will send up shoots, and in a few generations, the new trunk will be just as big and strong as the old one. Does the tree have faith? Does the tree pray? I rather think that the tree is just programmed to do it. Perhaps our DNA is a little screwy with all the chemicals and processed foods we take in. Clean up the environment, and you just might be surprised at what your body can do....spontaneous healing of all sorts of diseases is becoming a regular occurrence now, but only after people change what they eat and cleanse themselves. Now think of what the "Christ" particle will be capable of doing when it exists within us again. People think humans can't fly, but I have a book of COUNTLESS documented and well-witnessed accounts of people from all over the world doing just that. It defies all logic and human understanding, but it HAS happened. So what's more impossible....humans flying or spontaneous regeneration? Or maybe the dead coming back to life?

Just a thought...

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
here we go again...

my signature says it all. and the link attached goes in further detail.

Why do we continue to put god into a box and give him human characteristics, and human limitation. God is not some person or some "thing" he transends thingness. Even calling him "him" gives God a human perception and is inaccurate, but how else can we describe something that doesn't exist "physically"thus being undescribable? Unfortanatly this is what we have to work with within our vanacular to attempt to grasp the concept of God.

now, with that said i personally do not believe this article disproves anything. just because you want something to happen, and it doesn't, does not "bunk" god. And to blame god for every little thing that happens to you is morally wrong too in my opinion.

for example,

I lose my job. (is that gods fault?) I apply for another 1 and pray ill get it. they don't call. 7 days passed. (should i blame god?) i have family and friends that want me to get the job, and pray that i get it, but i never get the call. (do i expect them to blame god for this too). I demand that if god exist i will get the job... it never happens. i become depressed, lose motivation and drown in self-pity. (thanx a lot god)

ARE YOU SERIOUS? This analogy is very applicable to the op and is FLAWED.

Who is to say what is good for the amputee anyway? Maybe this experience will lead him to a deeper understanding of life and evolve him more spiritually?

For example,(i am on a work computer and the sites are limited so i can't provide a link at the moment)I was watching a documentery on the discovery channel about prosthetics. There was this guy who was very passoinate about rock-climbing. After doing it for some years he became great at it, would push himself constantly, and be proud of his accomplishments. Unfortanatly, one day he has an accedent which resulted in the amputation of both of his legs. of course he was temperarly upset and sad, but it was out of that state of mind that he became determined to not let that event obstruct his passion for rock-climbing. He began designing and got help devolping new limbs (for himself and those in similar situations) to continue his passion. Eventually the prosthetics that were developed not only cut his previous climbing records, but pushed him to a level beyond what he could of accomplish with his old legs. He was very humble and happy with his new self. If anything, he blamed god for helping him along this life altering event.

I guess what im trying to say is instead of always looking for or trying to provoke a miracle, just simply be the miracle.

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
then again as i recall its not gods job to do anything related to your own prosperity or to help anyone,

posted on Feb, 5 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I have heard of accounts of limbs growing back, and even seen film to show the new limb in a different colour

God does grow back limbs, because all that is has given us free will to totally create our reailty as he does

Its a matter of conviction, and to do such a thing seems to require strong knowing and faith

I like the saying "we are made in the image of the creator" and thereby we create our reality in every moment. It just seems there is a lot of information based on limitation, lack and struggle projected at us from cradle to grave,

Yet the beauty is just like in the Matrix films, other people's realities do no have to effect our own, and I have experienced this first hand when seing UFO's respond to my consciousness and euphoric states

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Prayer. It's putting your needs and wants from your subconscious mind into your conscious mind. So while there may be no actual "God" or "Jesus" to respond to it, it's still sent out to the universe. It's the concept of manifestation, if you believe in something, odds are it's bound to happen.

Now, here's the difference.

While an amputee prays for a new leg, all the skeptics and athiests or what have you will sit back, knowing that the amputee won't get their leg back. But I believe that putting positive thought into something like that will eventually manifest itself positively into something different, still beneficial to the amputee. Perhaps it will manifest into reaching contentness with the fact that their limb is gone and give them a sense of optimism about it. Who knows, maybe it will manifest in some sort of funds to bring them a prosthetic leg.

Either way, if there relly was a "God", don't you think it would be a little fishy that he seems to answer some prayers, but not others? Sure, you can pin it on the whole, "the lord works in mysterious ways," shpeel, but realistically, there's much more to it than that... And, in my humble opinion, people who choose to believe that God and Jesus are all there is for us in this world are moderately ignorant to the facts around us.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I will put in my $0.02 worth now.

The answer is simple. There is no god.

He was "invented" many moons ago in a bid to control people. Chaos engulfed the lands, and the rulers of the day needed something to control people and restore order.

This new invention gives "hope" to people.

If you do as I say and remain loyal, you will be rewarded, and people have been "hoping" ever since.

My mom and her sister (both dead now) were devout catholics, and boy do I mean devout, and what was their reward?

My moms sister gave birth to a disabled child and then years after the kids have flown the roost, she is struck down with Alzheimers. That's the thanks you get for being a devout catholic. My mom was also struck down with Alzheimers a few years later (and so was her brother).

Is it any wonder I turned my back on religion? It's just cr@p.

Go search on ATS for a thread entitled "Is it time to ditch the Bible?". It gets quite heated.

Don't bother with faith or hope, it's a waste of time. Just be yourself and don't wait on ANY god for an answer, it won't come, because there is no god.

If you are looking for "guidance" go and do some voluntary work for charity, it will be more rewarding.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I say there is a God there are so many aspects of life that shows me God exists and experiences that are not recordable but beyond simple explanations that I know God exists. Maybe a few things can be recorded but the spiritual things a lot harder to put down on paper, for me God exists and to say he does not is just close minded denial, we are throwing away the mystery of God for the void of nothingness, a grave mistake in any society.

My dad has alzheimer's but he speaks to me in ways that must come from the spirit and he feels closer to God too than ever before sometimes you have to listen to every drop.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by The time lord]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

the reason god will not heal amputees as there are certain life paths people take and this path sometimes includes things you wouldn't normally being fair.

Also what do you believe in evolution i can poke alot of holes in that theory for you too if you like so tell me something what do you beleive and why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by taccj9903
Doesn't the bible say something like all have sinned and fall short of the glory of god, so basically he doesn't listen to anyone...?

Yes, it does say "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God", but it does not say "God does not listen to anyone". Instead:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - Matthew 7:7-11

There is the love, knowing we're sinners and helping us anyway. Full circle back to the question fo healing amputees. Does He not heal because He doesn't want to? This passage suggests it not being the case. Does He not heal because we don't trust Him to do so? I think this is more likely the case. Remember however, God does so on His terms, not ours.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
God doesn't heal the amputee because people would know without a doubt that there is a God. We are supposed to believe in him through faith without ever seeing him or having evidence of his presence.

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44 >>

join