It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why won't God heal amputees?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

I agree we should try this experiment. I believe God could certainly do it.

Yes, I agree...this would be an excellent "experiment" to try. In fact, it's in the benefit of both sides to attempt it. Whether to prove that prayer for healing does work, or to prove that it doesn't...everyone has a vested interest that it be attempted.

So since apparently the people who are logically in a position to believe that it would work don't have enough faith to organize a world-wide prayer, perhaps that task falls on those who believe that it won't work?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
God won't heal amputees 'cause he's too busy killing gays lol

Picking on people that have faith in something is pretty low. I mean, seriously, how hard is it to walk up to a religious person and say "O YEAH? Y DNT U PROOV DA EXISTNCE OF UR GOD!"?

Exactly, it's not hard. You're just being a bully. Not to say that the religious people are perfect. Some of them can be zealots that force their opinions on other people, and perhaps even kill them because they believe it's the right thing to do. We all know about them,.

But hey, whatever makes you feel like the bigger person in the playground, OP.

What I say to a religious person should have no effect on them whatsoever -none at all- That is if they are truly of the lord, they simply turn the cheek and carry on with the lords work completely unaffected. However hypocrisy rears it's ugly head as the religious on ATS take offense, lash out and bask in insecurities from people like me. I'm a social experiment proving it's own points.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

This is one of those riddles that non-Christians can't wrap their head around - because if you truly believe in the Bible and Jesus as your savior and stuff, you don't think of God as a genie or a magical wish granter or any screwed up crap like that.
reply to post by maus80

DEBUNKED AGAIN

I think maybe to much Harry Potter

I wish I would've said that and I was gping to if someone else didn't come up with it. So glad I gave it some time.
Resonable it should be obvious even to your pals that hate is gonna kill you.

I know I sense your desperation. Why don't you give it all over to the lord right now son. You know you want to.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
Yes, it hasn't been tried because too many people are scared that it might not work and don't want to deal with the implications if it didn't.

But this is evidence against the faith of people, not against prayer.

Ooh snap! That was pretty epic. I need to listen to you more often.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

My mom couldnt pay the rent when i was a kid because my dad drunk it all. My mom is a proud woman so never told anyone about it, except G-d, and she wasnt a church goer either... A letter came through the door saying the rent had been paid 6 months in front. Nobody knew about it except mom. Another example, my mom had to get to work to put food on the table, however she couldnt get to work because we had no money and her beat up car had no petrol. Her work was 40 miles away so walking there was out of the question, but not getting there would means us starving, so she, by faith, filled the tank with water, prayed, and got to work every day that week!! That still makes me laugh today
There is no unbelievers in foxholes huh?

In the end of the day G-d is more concerned with the state of our spirit than our body, for if the inside is sick, the outside will be also... If there was no adversity in this world there would be no compassion, without hardship there is no growth, and there is no testimony without a test..

This life is a holy bootcamp for eternity...

[edit on 063030p://f04Tuesday by Selahobed]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable

What I say to a religious person should have no effect on them whatsoever -none at all- That is if they are truly of the lord, they simply turn the cheek and carry on with the lords work completely unaffected. .

Well what about what you say to a human being?
Because that's what the guy and his wife are... human beings.

To mock someone and be as cold and nasty as you were, to a guy who's wife was dying and who's obviously had a tough time, and chose to speak up and bare his soul, is f*****g low man.

You can disagree with religion and choose to believe or not, but to be so rude and cold to a fellow human being is just wrong man.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

Or an instigator here to cause disharmony among others. DO U WRK 4 DA GUVIMINT?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

I live with a severe disability caused by a traumatic injury.

For the first three years I could see no purpose for it...
...it seemed like everything I worked years toward was futile.

Then my partner was diagnosed with a medically incurable disease...
...and was given four months...
...and because I was unable to work I focused all my attention on understanding the condition and the range of medical protocols and alternative modalities that could manage or cure it.

Six years later my partner is in remission by all objective criteria...
...without resorting to solutions from Pharma.

We have a saying...nothing every happens to us only ever for us.

I love my disability.

That is simply your crutch. A faith that you are disabled for a reason larger than life. It's how you cope, a coping method and nothing more. Nice that you believe 27,000 children starve to death everyday is a gift from god to them. amazing.

Where did I mention God, religion or faith?

Call it Cognitive Dissonance if you must...
...but I still have a healthy partner who is alive...
...and did not become a victim of western medicine.

And I think I just refuted your OP.

link   
reply to post by blupblup

as an athiest i would say that the ONLY reason christians don't kill me is because of the secular moral system introduced despite christianitys plees, threats and underhanded politik... when you look at it that way kinda makes sense why we don't want to see the world revert to theistic law again.

Athieism was a crime in england in my grandmothers lifetime! Sure i don't think many people were getting killed for it while she was alive, her grandmother though? and every grandmother right back to around 500ad when that wicked pope came to convert us. Even heretics within the church have been traditionally burned, JUST LIKE THE BIBLE SAYS.

Once again, the only reason i am able to hold any view i like is because of secular moral theory - if the world goes back to christian dogmatic law, biblical literalism, etc then the likes of us athiests will be rounded up and burned - i don't want my grandchildren to live in the world my great grandmother did where even Deists had trouble if they dared expose their belief.

however yes of course i believe anyone can belive anything they want, its not that easy though because they're trying to teach kids about 6000year old earths, ban stem cell research, etc, etc, etc. also its a regressive way of thinking that causes pain and suffering not only to the people who believe in it but to those around them and society as a whole, i believe most religions to be more dangerous than alcohol, drugs or almost anything else.

link   

What I say to a religious person should have no effect on them whatsoever -none at all- That is if they are truly of the lord, they simply turn the cheek and carry on with the lords work completely unaffected. However hypocrisy rears it's ugly head as the religious on ATS take offense, lash out and bask in insecurities from people like me. I'm a social experiment proving it's own points

Listen to you preach

[edit on 24-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

While i agree with everything you've said... i'm not sure of your point?
I was talking about a guy who got comfort from praying, to get through his illness?

I'm not talking about far-right christian fundies who want to burn science books and make Atheism illegal?
I'm all for stem-cell research and abortion and every other thing that these far-right nutters are against.

I cannot stand extremism in any form.

And as an Atheist myself, i see no harm in people getting comfort out of praying for their loved ones.

It's when people start blowing people up and killing people and banning stuff and whatever that it become an issue for me.
My main point was that attacking a guy who prayed for his dying wife.... is just seriously sick.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
So seriously, I'd like to know where exactly Jesus said that God is a genie that grants wishes with magic and fairy dust.

Why don't people even seem to make a distinction when it comes to miracles? Sure Jesus performed them in his travels, but they were localized manipulations of his physical surroundings. It's not like he could just go "Hey dad, I'm a true believer, obviously right? So why not just cut to the chase and heal everyone now, at once, so I'll have more time to talk about other important stuff."

I'm not a Bible scholar, but I don't remember reading it and getting the impression that Jesus went around telling people that God is a magical unicorn that fulfills what your heart yearns for if only you truly believe in his magic powers hard enough.

It sounded more like "Things will happen as they will, absolute causation free will and all of that, just pray you can handle it and you will." Maybe there is some magic in that...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Most likely due to the thnigs I said when my foot got hung up and ripped off!!! Yes the lords name came up more than once!

Not to mention I'm not chrisstian or follow the god of the bible.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I don't think it's good to "attack" or ridicule the beliefs of others, but I do find the common belief that God grants wishes to be a little insulting and deserving of ridicule. It doesn't seem to fit in with the teachings of Jesus, and it sends the message that it's ok to ask God for favoritism.

"I live in a super-developed nation, and I know there are starving babies and all that, but never-mind them for now cuz see...I really need some gas in my car! And I'm also not really up for scavenging for food today, even though there are millions who would be thrilled for the chance - just do me a solid since I'm super-faithful and stuff ok?"

Give me a break, how is that ok; how does that fit into the teachings of Christ? Plus it opens a big can of worms, "Why did God let this happen?", "If God existed, he wouldn't..." ect. Miracles and divine intervention are the straws that wishers grasp at, and will never prove anything.

It says it clearly enough in the book - free will, absolute causation, everything will happen as it will. You can pray to manifest courage, strength, stamina, etc; good luck with the rest.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
lol my friend you are toooooo nice, hahahah, you're like a reverse troll

Thank you, that's a very kind and complimentary thing to say. Hmmm...reverse troll...is that like an elf or a hobbit?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
So since apparently the people who are logically in a position to believe that it would work don't have enough faith to organize a world-wide prayer, perhaps that task falls on those who believe that it won't work?

Cruel cut my friend. If they believe and don't have faith, do they really believe? Or is it mere lip-service? Those who truly believe must have faith in their toolbox else they're not a handyman. Let those who do not believe doubt, but at least make the effort to explore, this should suffice...or so it did for me.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

That is if they are truly of the lord, they simply turn the cheek and carry on with the lords work completely unaffected.

Carry on they certainly should, but please do not ask a compassionate person to cut out their own heart.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Selahobed
My mom couldnt pay the rent when i was a kid because my dad drunk it all. My mom is a proud woman so never told anyone about it, except G-d, and she wasnt a church goer either... A letter came through the door saying the rent had been paid 6 months in front. Nobody knew about it except mom. Another example, my mom had to get to work to put food on the table, however she couldnt get to work because we had no money and her beat up car had no petrol. Her work was 40 miles away so walking there was out of the question, but not getting there would means us starving, so she, by faith, filled the tank with water, prayed, and got to work every day that week!! That still makes me laugh today
There is no unbelievers in foxholes huh?

What an awesome testimonial! Thank you for sharing thing, yet, I know there are many who will not believe until they see for themselves as well. We're told the greatest of all blessings go to those who have not witnessed and yet believe. I don't fall into this catagory however, hence my kinship to the skeptic's website ATS.

Originally posted by Selahobed
In the end of the day G-d is more concerned with the state of our spirit than our body, for if the inside is sick, the outside will be also... If there was no adversity in this world there would be no compassion, without hardship there is no growth, and there is no testimony without a test..

This life is a holy bootcamp for eternity...

Ah, you're into the complexities of the 'blessings of suffering' which is some difficult stuff conceptually. Well stated though, better than I could surely.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
I cannot stand extremism in any form.

I am an extremist. Extreme love, extreme hope, extreme effort, extremem faith, extreme compassion, etc...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
As the article points out god sometimes cures cancer and sometimes he does not, depending on his plan. He is consistent however in his treatment of the amputees in that he never answers their prayers to grow the missing limb.

Why not treat them the same way? Could it be that god doesn't really cures cancer?
Could it be that there are many variables in cancer while in amputees there is only one variable-- leg/ no leg?

Like someone said earlier, wait until the scientists work out the regeneration of organs and then there will be a flood of stories of limbs growing back on amputees, then god will be given the credit. NOT before.

What I find interesting is that god has no problem with growing severed limbs now in things like starfish, salamanders and worms but when it comes to the crown of his creation --no such generosity.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by tungus]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join