It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese students forced to take fitness class at Pennsylvania university to graduate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Obese students forced to take fitness class at Pennsylvania university to graduate

www.examiner.com

In a controversial move, Lincoln University in Pennsylvania is requiring overweight students to take a fitness course in order to receive their degrees.

The mandate, which took effect for freshmen who entered in the fall of 2006, requires that students have their body mass index (BMI) measured.

the university is facing harsh criticism for forcing heavier students take the course

“We know we’re in the midst of an obesity epidemic. We have an obligation to address this head on, knowing fu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You know what, i'm not against this.
The argument can be made that it should be a mandatory course for everyone, but it can be argued that fit people don't need it.

I still think this is important though, and I applaud the school for taking this course.

School officials should also take a close look at the food options available on campus. It does not make sense to force students to take a class on nutrition, and then have artery clogging foods in every vending machine. Do the students have healthy options available?

This is contradictory however
The above should have been addressed before making the mandate.

that would only make sense.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If the students knew that this was a requirement when the first enrolled at the college I have no problem with it. If this was something that was just added then I think it stinks. Here's some food for thought. The Governments BMI specs are pure BS. Something like 35% of professional athletes don't meet the standards. The military has had this crap going on for years. Anybody watch the "Strongest Man" competitions on ESPN? The majority of those guys don't meet the spec. You go tell them!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Point taken

but keep in mind strongmen on espn are powerlifters
meaning they lift heavy weights with only like 1 or 2 reps which equals ZERO cardio.

that's why they have no definition

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Fair is fair.

Obese professors and staff should be obligated to enroll in the fitness class in order to keep their jobs.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I agree that this is a good thing. Many of those kids might not know exactly what they're eating. I took an elective nutrition course in college and it completely opened my eyes to how important our diet is and how the food industry tricks us into eating unhealthily.

On the other hand, it is probably pretty embarrassing to have your BMI measured and then deemed "too fat to graduate". It probably won't help many with their self image issues, but I would hope that the embarrassment combined with education on how to treat their bodies right would be motivation enough to change their lifestyles.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think that is reasonable. Part of the point of going to a university to to come out a well rounded individual (no pun intended). I hate that word "forced"...required would seem more appropriate. So far as I know, most, if not all, universities require kinesiology. I know I had to take 4 semesters of it and it has nothing to do with my degree. It has everything to do with education and promoting health.

Just my 2-cents

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
So far, all these opinons thinking that others have the right to prod your body, judge your body, decide by their arbitrary hollywood versions of reality, that your body isn't acceptable, and require that those who aren't approved, be forced into fitness classes, to graduate from a college or universtity, which means the student is already an adult, and soveriegn and can research and make their own decisions about fitness and norms that they may accept of reject.

Because, there are very few careers that weight disqualifies you for.

This is a crime against humanity. This makes big brother your GOD, and reduces you to a mindless drone.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I disagree
You don't have to be hollywood looking to not be on the list of those that need to pass the class.

you just have to be moderate, that's really all they are asking for and should be the minimum of what you ask from yourself.

big brother or not, it's YOUR body that will benefit
i'm sure that for large people, their bodies are more angry at them then at the school.

a decade from now these people will be thankful

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Perhaps everyone should be required to take classes in health, nutrition, and exercise.

Way back when I started college, I had to take PE. But, they didn't bother to teach you anything.

A population that didn't have the obesity problems that we in the US have would have a much smaller demand on health care services.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by JIMC5499

Point taken

but keep in mind strongmen on espn are powerlifters
meaning they lift heavy weights with only like 1 or 2 reps which equals ZERO cardio.

that's why they have no definition

You don't think they raise their heart rates powerlifting? In fact they do. And short spurts of raising your heart rate & lowering it ( commonly known as "interval training" ) is much more effective way of training cardio, than slogging it out for an hour on the treadmill aerobically. Just wanted to clarify that they are actually "doing a form of cardio"

As a personal trainer, I commend the University for this step. If they can get their graduates to start workout out & lowering their body fat / weight / BMI then at least they have shown them what is required to be healthy.
Why not compulsorily encourage them to take care of their own health? In the future, they will only be a burden on the taxation / medicare system, & all because nobody taught them how to take care of themselves.

BUT, I do agree with the person who asked about the menu at the university's canteen/ cafeteria. It has to be an "all in" approach. You can't insist that people have a low BMI, body fat & at the same time serve them chips ( fries ), burgers & no healthy food.

This should start at home, it doesn't, so it should be mandatory at all levels of schools.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There is a difference between concern and enforcement. And what worries me more than the state enforcing things like this, is private institutions doing it.

Colleges are getting paid to educate people. They are now stepping over the line of where their responsibilities lay.

So far America is holding degrees hostage to "volunteer" work and now you have to be in shape to get qualified. I wonder what's next. Having good quality of eggs or sperm?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Well, wha tI wonder is, unless you're taking courses in medicine, what in teh hell do those classes have to do with anything in your cirriculum?

$10 says the administrator who thought up this bit of genius is a vegetarian and chronicly underweight.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpinifexPrincess
You don't think they raise their heart rates powerlifting? In fact they do. And short spurts of raising your heart rate & lowering it ( commonly known as "interval training" ) is much more effective way of training cardio, than slogging it out for an hour on the treadmill aerobically. Just wanted to clarify that they are actually "doing a form of cardio"

That is not interval training
2 reps is barely an interval

look at HIIT for example, that's REAL interval training and it would never constitute 2 reps and then rest.

it is absolutely not interval training, not even close
just looking at powerlifters should prove that to you

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
So far, all these opinons thinking that others have the right to prod your body, judge your body, decide by their arbitrary hollywood versions of reality, that your body isn't acceptable, and require that those who aren't approved, be forced into fitness classes, to graduate from a college or universtity, which means the student is already an adult, and soveriegn and can research and make their own decisions about fitness and norms that they may accept of reject.

Because, there are very few careers that weight disqualifies you for.

This is a crime against humanity. This makes big brother your GOD, and reduces you to a mindless drone.

And if they decide it is an invasion, guess what? Don't go to the school.

The majority of people that are obese are so due to their poor diet. Having people who are obese take a nutrition class won't hurt. It will help them and their society by being more personally and socially responsible.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
It will help them and their society by being more personally and socially responsible.

Wow, Marx would have been proud. The only time society is mentioned is when you are forcing someone else to do something.

More social conditioning.

It's not about preparing students to face the world. It's about conditioning these students to adapt to the agenda.

How many fat professors will be willing to give up their tenure if they don't lose weight?

[edit on 24-11-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with this.

People should be taught that exercise all there lifes, is good for them.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Here's the dining services provided on the website

www.lincolnuniversitydining.com...

I personally that classes like these should be offered but not hold somebody back on their degree.

This opens the box to putting other kind of restrictions preventing people from getting their degrees.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I think that all students should be required to take a fitness and nutrition class to graduate. Basing a class requirement based on weight seems to be a bad idea, but having everyone take part seems like a good idea to me.

There is more to being healthy than weight alone.

Lots of thin people are actually in very poor shape with not so great diets and could benefit greatly from more exercise which would help with heart health, cholesteral and other issues.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

....and you know this because you're a Power Lifter, or suitably qualified? Have it your way......

I personally don't see anyhting wrong with the University compulsorily requiring that their graduates get fit & healthy before they graduate. Gives them a good start for the rest of their lives.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join