It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British police arrest people 'just for the DNA'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

British police arrest people 'just for the DNA'

www.msnbc.msn.com

LONDON - Britain has built the world's biggest DNA database without proper political debate and police routinely arrest people just to get their DNA profiles onto the system, the genetics watchdog said in a report on Tuesday.

In a damning report, the commission said "function creep" had transformed the system from a DNA store for offenders into a database of suspects.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
For every Briton wanting to comment on events in the U.S., look at what is going on in your own country. You are losing your individual rights at a dizzying pace.

The really scary thing for me is that the U.S. often follows the UK's lead on issues like this, so there must be authorities here that are reading about this and thinking it's a great idea.

Notice that the article also says that the database contains data on 5 million UK citizens, including 75% of black men aged 18 to 35.

Time to go back and read some of the classics such as Brave New World and 1984 ...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
good find s and f

Its pretty bad when you get arrested just so you can be put into the database with real offenders... oh well we will see it in a good 5 years anyway

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I would like to know if Brits see this as fair or not?

I personally see this as invasive. I also realize it won't be long before the US does likewise. If I am not mistaking, many proposals to such action has already been proposed. In some cases, more crimes have been added to the category where the taking of DNA is warranted whether an individual agrees or not.

What I have trouble understanding is why fellow Americans(cops) would be in favor of creating a datbase that violates the rights of individuals who have done no wrong to warrant such action?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The U.S. constitutional protection against unreasonable search and seizure should protect citizens here, but no doubt the "unreasonable search and seizure" concept will end up being decided on by the courts and they could well decide that "public need" outweighs the "inconvenience" of being arrested.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

but no doubt the "unreasonable search and seizure" concept will end up being decided on by the courts and they could well decide that "public need" outweighs the "inconvenience" of being arrested.

And that would be the case. Recently, they said DNA could be taken by force.

But in return, I think every move an officer makes should be on camera as well. We have the technology to do that. This will help the people from cops who bring up bogus charges. If those tapes aren't available or tampered with, then no case- no DNA.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
As I read this post, I wonder have they already started on our newborns? And wonder if they have, when they started? What is sad, is that it really doesn't shock me.....kind of expected.
Scary stuff.

[edit on 11/24/2009 by sniknej]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Don't forget the "Protect Your Child" events. You know the ones where they fingerprint, photograph and take a DNA sample of your child. Supposedly to aid in identifying the child in the event of their being kidnapped.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Florida has started:

Note that it says "arrested" not Convicted. . .

According to the Florida Bar News, "The bill provides that, subject to appropriations, all persons arrested for any of the following felony offenses will be required to submit a DNA sample at the time they are booked into a jail, correctional facility or juvenile facility; beginning January 1, 2011, all felonies defined by chapters 782 (murder), 784 (assault and battery), 794 (sexual battery) and 800 (lewd or lascivious offenses); beginning January 1, 2013, all felonies defined by chapters 810 (burglary and trespass) and 812 (theft and robbery); beginning January 1, 2015, all felonies defined by chapters 787 (kidnapping) and 790 (firearm offenses); beginning January 1, 2017, all felonies defined by chapter 893 (controlled substances)l and beginning January 1, 2019, all felony offenses."

source

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I am in the Uk and this is not all that people are getting upset about over here right now.

The police force, in general, is under extreme pressure at this moment in time.

The general public has little or no faith in the police and their abilities. They are now seen as nothing but revenue collectors.

Let me highlight what I am talking about in a bit more detail with providing some recent news surrounding law enforcement issues in the UK.

Police pensions cost Plymouth taxpayers £13million

PLYMOUTH taxpayers are having to help bail out the police pension fund of officers in the force area to the tune of £13million a year, it has been revealed.

Official government figures show the amount to close the police pension funding gap in Devon and Cornwall has risen more than threefold in two years.

Data released in answer to parliamentary questions show that last year the Home Office paid a special grant of £13million to cover the pension scheme shortfall – up from £3million in 2006-07.

Nationwide, this so-called top up tax for police pensions has shot up from £201million in 2006-07 to £482 million last year – an extra £20 for every taxpaying household according to government critics.

www.thisisplymouth.co.uk...

£40,000 earmarked for new Plymouth drive against yobs

MORE than £40,000 has been earmarked to train groups of people in Plymouth communities in a renewed clampdown on troublesome yobs.

Part of the £44,000 government funding will provide more support for residents and community activists so that they 'know their rights' and how to report anti- social behaviour to the proper authorities. This will include production of targeted leaflets and conferences.

There will also be training and support for those in a position to tackle anti-social behaviour, such as community safety teams, neighbourhood wardens and housing officers.

The Government says the move forms part of a £10million drive to ensure measures already introduced to crack down on anti-social behaviour are better used.

Up to 10,000 front-line staff and 'community champions' will receive training and support to use the powers properly.

Private 'police' provoke concern

The growing number of private security companies policing UK streets is a worrying development, senior police figures say.

The Police Federation of England and Wales said there is "huge concern" over their powers and accountability.

Former Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair has also said there should be no role for the private sector in Britain's law enforcement.

The firms typically charge residents to patrol streets and deter troublemakers.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This PDF is a freedom of information request and only shows a few police stations from which items have been stolen.
www.cambs.police.uk...
Now consider these thefts going on in every police station across the UK and you'll start to see where half of our criminals really are..

Also,

20 per cent of reported crimes not investigated by Devon and Cornwall police

DEVON and Cornwall Police failed to pursue more than 22,000 crimes last year, more than one-in-five of all crimes reported, according to figures released under the Freedom of Information Act.

The offences included sexual offences, dozens of assaults, burglaries, and thousands of incidents of car crime and criminal damage.

It meant more than one in five of the 102,000 crimes reported to Devon and Cornwall Police in 2008/09 were “screened out” for no further action.

In the case of theft from a vehicle, 46 per cent (3,345) of reported crimes were put aside after initial assessments.

And to top it all off... with a nice juicy bonus for early retirement;

Chief Constable: 'No doubt we will need to reduce police numbers'

THE public sector is under no illusions that whatever the colours hanging over the door of 10 Downing Street next summer, their finances are going to diminish.

Like any prudent business, those Westcountry services are feverishly trying map a way forward in these uncertain times, albeit with little direction from Whitehall about how deep those budget cuts may be.

Devon and Cornwall Police are no different. Chief Constable Stephen Otter and Mike Bull, chairman of the police authority, have already gone on record about the likely impact on policing and police numbers.

In an unprecedented letter to the region’s MPs, they warned that the force could lose 300 officers from 3,500, if predictions on cuts to public sector finances become a post-election reality.

Is some business minded corporate slug weaving a web of discontent in order to push forward privately paid for police forces?
Is the British police force being deliberately squashed in order for TPTB to bring in a new method of control?

Channel 4 has a programme called Dispatches which ran a show about the Police Community Support Officers. The show was called "Cops on the cheap" and shed some light on what these 'officers' have to do and put up with.
Here is the direct link to the show on the Channel 4 website;
www.channel4.com...
and to quote from another site discusing the show;

David Blunkett decided that on a community level, the concerns of people about having a visible police force needed to be addressed. However, regular police officers start out on pay of around £20,000 and require months of training. A PCSO is paid £16,000 and has just five weeks of training, so clearly, they are the cheaper option and given they have uniforms that have the word ‘Police’ on them, his hope was that these men and women would be the “eyes and ears” of the police force.

There are now around 17,000 PCSOs in the UK and as ever where beaurocracy is concerned, confusion surrounds their role. In some forces, PCSOs are allowed to detain individuals and have handcuffs as part of their “kit”. In the majority of forces though, this is not the case.

As one PCSO interviewed remarked, “retail security guards are more proactive than us.” And in many areas of the country, PCSOs are the subject of derision and disdain as they cycle around communities, acting like police without any of the powers of police.

primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk...

I'll leave you to sift through the data and make your own conclusions about the state of the UK and its police force(s).

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

What are the citizens of UK doing about it?

As we read more and more stories like these, it seems that you all are content or in agreement with what's going on.

I have seen you all put up a bigger fight at a soccer match.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

your right about people care more about football gmes than the police, however i think its becuase people are unaware of their rights, so they dont know what they are losing. however i try to tell all my friends what they can and cant do within the law to the best i can.

may i add they dont have my prints yet ! and good luck getting them muhaha.

people need to start acting on this, any ideas on how we can act ?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

There seems to be a lot of people acting like a turtle.. popping their heads inside their shells whenever anything comes along that might affect them in one form or other.

Everyone is more concerened about their jobs and financial security.
More retail stores are dropping their prices in order to make people spend, especially as christmas approaches.
Reality shows and X-factor are up there in the rankings as the number one brain numbers.

We are angry.
We are upset.
We have had enough of this corrupt society and the cracks are beginning to show. It wont take too many more straws to break the camels back but there are still many who just want to be left alone..

The local council officers were in city centre the other day asking peoples opinions... The overall remark was "could do better".

But nobody will listen to it.. the council wont act upon their responses received.. For them it is business as usual.

Many are starting to refuse the norm here.. like the flu vaccine and retail advertising. There are parts of this society that people are breaking away from.. and it is great that they are doing so.

In my opinion, it is because of sites like ATS presenting such a massive collection of data that shows the truth behind the curtain that this 'change' is starting to gather pace.

Rome was not built in a day.. and rebellion can take a while to kick in too..

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

As we read more and more stories like these, it seems that you all are content or in agreement with what's going on.

We are watching tv and paying bills and working just like usual :/

Almost everyone here sees this kind of thing as something which will never personally affect them, so they aren't concerned about it. They're failing to see the bigger picture as it encroaches on every aspect of their lives.

Others just dont want to hear about it. Oddly almost everyone criticizes our current government, but if you say out loud that you're concerned about orwellian policies then you're a conspiracy theorist. You have to be really subtle about how you voice your concerns in this country.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by jam321

There seems to be a lot of people acting like a turtle.. popping their heads inside their shells whenever anything comes along that might affect them in one form or other.

Everyone is more concerened about their jobs and financial security.
More retail stores are dropping their prices in order to make people spend, especially as christmas approaches.
Reality shows and X-factor are up there in the rankings as the number one brain numbers.

We are angry.
We are upset.
We have had enough of this corrupt society and the cracks are beginning to show. It wont take too many more straws to break the camels back but there are still many who just want to be left alone..

The local council officers were in city centre the other day asking peoples opinions... The overall remark was "could do better".

But nobody will listen to it.. the council wont act upon their responses received.. For them it is business as usual.

Many are starting to refuse the norm here.. like the flu vaccine and retail advertising. There are parts of this society that people are breaking away from.. and it is great that they are doing so.

In my opinion, it is because of sites like ATS presenting such a massive collection of data that shows the truth behind the curtain that this 'change' is starting to gather pace.

Rome was not built in a day.. and rebellion can take a while to kick in too..

I can only hope that the citizens of the UK move forward on reclaiming their rights, and that the citizens of the U.S. follow this example from the UK rather than let our government follow the UK government's example.

[edit on 11/24/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

any ideas pn how we can get back theses rights or than protest, if you say that please give detail, i am all for it.

I am game.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

people need to start acting on this, any ideas on how we can act ?

As far as UK law, I can't help. But I would suggest you guys start pounding(not physically) the ones who are making these absurb laws.

START getting them to promise with a written contract that they will address these issues.

I can't believe your government is making everybody pay for the crimes of a few. Our government is pushing just as hard. But we do have people who go out of their way to see that justice prevails. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I wish you guys the best because God knows that you are losing your rights faster than you can blink.

Enough of the madness. They need to go after the real criminals.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

your 100 percent right about everytime we go to sleep we wake up with one less right.

however i do think some need a beating physically haha.

I am up for doing more please just some one give me a ideas, i am more action than words so to speak

[edit on 24-11-2009 by thecrow001]

[edit on 24-11-2009 by thecrow001]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I'm not that informed about the politics, but all I know is that the police really are pushing it these days, you can't even question them without feeling like your gonna get arrested. They've got a HUGE list of excuses to use to arrest you these days.

In the old days I would assume there was a better relationship between the public and police, the police served the public in a friendly manner with a good relationship.

Now it's all about guilty until proven innocent, they look at you with suspicion, they don't care about you as a person, your just another lower form of life, often they don't care who was the victim or who was guilty in a situation they come across, they just want to arrest somebody and get it over with and leave, many times keeping people overnight who are innocent.

Plenty are nice of course. But the general life of the police force is getting more and more disconnected from the public, seperating themselves as above you.

Well that's how it feels these days. I'm not on the dna database yet, my bro is thou.

I would guess that part of the reason the relationship of the police with the public is so bad, might have something to do with how big the cities are becoming, especially here in london.

For example in a small town, everyone knows each other, you know the local police by name, they also can get away with much less, because everyone knows each other, and it's no good for the policeman to be rude when he has to live there too.

But now with huge cities, nobody knows each other, and to the police your just another number in the dna database. The personal relationship with the public is ice cold.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

My friend, why don't you sort your own country out before you comment and then maybe you'll have the right to point the finger at ours? We in Great Britain have stood up to many attempted piss takes from the government so please don't make the mistake of thinking we are a spent folk with little spirit, far from it.

As time goes on I'm starting to believe that people outside Great Britain are getting a severely blinkered view of our United Kingdom due to believing everything they hear/read in the press about us. Yes okay, I'm well aware that things are not rosey here (where is?) but the place is still far from an Orwellian state.

We are still one of the most liberal countries in the world, let's not forget that amongst the media hype.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join