It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Smart' Armor Learns More With Every Bullet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Just wanted to share this article. This is pretty cool, reminds me of something out of Star Trek.

SOURCE: news.discovery.com...

State-of-the-art armor can evaluate its own condition and relay that information to soldiers in real time.

Smart armor being developed by scientists and engineers at U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center in Michigan can not only predict its own failure, but also identify the size of bullets shot at it and even generate electrical power upon impact.

"As a kid, everyone played those video games that showed you how much armor you had left as a percentage bar," said John Wray, a TARDEC contractor. "That's exactly what we're working on here and more."

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It would be cool if they also figured out where the bullet was coming from.

There are plenty of times in modern warefare 2 when I'm getting shot and can't see it.

However, it shows you what direction the bullet came so you can turn and see the flashes as they shoot at you and hopefully shoot back!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
COOL!
S&F , Very cool stuff they have developed.... too bad the public couldn't get a glimpse of black project technology now that would be some interesting stuff I bet.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Very intresting man. It seems like yesterday we found that shape can contribute to protection almost as much as the material itself.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I am sure that isn't too far off either especially with the sniper detection technology being tested now. Just have to miniturize it.

new topics

top topics

join