It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who created God? The silliest question I ever heard

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I was recently asked this question again by a young athiest. He was beaming with confidence when he asked the question and I had to take the wind out of his sail.

The question pressuposes that I believe in a God that was created. It makes no sense to debate a created god that I don't believe in.

You have the atheist defining god when they claim they don't believe in God and then they are asking you to debate a created god that you don't believe in.

I think the atheist needs to come up with a new line of questioning.

The look on his face when I explained this to him went from pride to confusion.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
So what was your reply to him?

You told him there is no God? Right?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It's a question that presupposes that god was created by man and thus a fictional being; a reinforcement of the atheist belief.

Why anyone must debate the existence of a god still befuddles me. The very notion of what he is prevents there from ever being evidence or solid proof for or against. You either believe or you don't. No mortal being will ever know the truth and the wars of conversion are a sick notion that wastes the time of all.

Anyone who can be convinced with simple words had a very tenuous grasp on their beliefs to begin with.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
An infinite being would need no creator. Just the same as an infinite being would have no need of a creation.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
What? God just "poof" appeared one day? Why is it a silly question? Because you don't have an answer?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Yep, like it says in the bible, its a perverse world that wants miracles, to prove that god exists.

You either you believe or not, and why the atheist has to justify there believe and project there rubbish on others.

Thats geezer richard dawkins, has the same thing, how would anyone know who created god, as no one could possibly know any words that even desrcibe god.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Man created and personified a god or gods to explain things he did not have the capacity to explain. Did god exist before there was man? What if the god meme is finally traced back one day to say an alien race that say seeded us? Would the first question to them be, are you god? Or would it be, is your god mine? It's a lot to think about. Too much some days. However, to each his or her own. Whatever gives you comfort and joy, hope and peace.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I believe that in the beginning man created god in his own image.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
It is kinda silly to ask who created your imaginary friends.
you did of course!

I'm not an atheist I'm an agnostic still waiting from proof.
I'd LOVE to believe
did he/she have parents or did he/she evolve asexually like republicans?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

"Yep, like it says in the bible, its a perverse world that wants miracles, to prove that god exists."

Where does it say that in the bible? If you're going to quote the bible, at least tell us where you are quoting from so we can look it up ourselves for verification.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Why do people always say god as THE GOD?

The Christian God is but a 'newbie' when compared to other religions. So who's or what's is the REAL GOD or GODS?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
What? God just "poof" appeared one day? Why is it a silly question? Because you don't have an answer?

Right.

If you think of existence and Non existence. Existence seam to just come from nowhere.

The only thing that always existed was Non existence. Non existence is Infinite. Existence is Finite. Finite means it changes. Non existence cant change.

I think God is in between Non existence and what we call existence. Because there is no other way you can have existence.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

In my search for knowledge and wisdom, I've come to know that the words LIFE and GOD are interchangeable. They are the same thing. We are the Creator and The Created, Individually expressed creations of the original creator, we are the Sum of God expressed, and as well, the sons and daughters of God.

-Now replace all the instances of the word 'GOD' with the word 'LIFE' in these last couple sentences and see how reading it feels now...

This has been a test of your awareness, A challenge to step outside your normalcy of thinking and go beyond what you think you know about Life and God and listen to or be lead within, lead into your inner wisdom. With such a path you will find answers, you will find the way to what you desire. Listen to The LIFE / GOD / GODDESS Within You, Listen carefully my friends.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Sk8rDude7]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising
I was recently asked this question again by a young athiest. He was beaming with confidence when he asked the question and I had to take the wind out of his sail.

The question pressuposes that I believe in a God that was created. It makes no sense to debate a created god that I don't believe in.

You have the atheist defining god when they claim they don't believe in God and then they are asking you to debate a created god that you don't believe in.

Defining themselves by a negative...
...what philosophical system other than A-theism defines itself by the negative of what they they don't believe in?

They have no alternative to there being a God so must resort to a negative to define themselves...
...how sad is that?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8rDude7
In my search for knowledge and wisdom, I've come to know that the words LIFE and GOD are interchangeable. They are the same thing. We are the Creator and The Created,
[edit on 24-11-2009 by Sk8rDude7]

Here's the problem...in the eyes of the Orthodox you just committed a mortal sin by saying that.

The force of creation in the universe being embodied by the life it creates...that's awesome. I LOVE THAT! I believe that!

But 'God'? That's a human construct. It's evident even in the descriptions given by folk in this thread....

Originally posted by andy1033
Yep, like it says in the bible, its a perverse world that wants miracles, to prove that god exists.

If there is no proof of God, how can you claim to know what God is? If God is not knowable, then anything you think you know is by definition incorrect, i.e. a human creation.

Originally posted by alpha-erectus
An infinite being would need no creator. Just the same as an infinite being would have no need of a creation.

Infinity is a concept outside of human knowledge. Saying that a thing is infinite is the same as saying 'I do not and cannot understand' that thing.

So if God is infinite and unknowable what's the point? Why even bother with the concept of something you can't conceive of? Any conception you have must therefore be a human creation.

Fact is you don't know if someone created God. You just know what someone else told you about the subject, right?

Or is every other religion than one's own completely wrong about everything it believes as strongly as you do?

It's a mindbending conversation. I'm pretty sure I just confused myself!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

This atheist kid just came up to you out of the blue and asked you who created your god, without knowing if you even believed in one? I would say that he was not only rude, but ignorant as well.

Being an atheist, the situation usually plays out very differently. Somehow they start talking about religion to me and I say that I don't follow any religion. They say that I should believe because yadda yadda yadda.

I say that is good for them but I have no proof that a god exists. They then start talking about who created the trees, the birds, and myself. I then ask who, hypothetically, created their god. They say no one and he does not need a creator. I say..using the same logic, neither do I. It cannot be proven either way.

So perhaps if some theists come up with a better argument and stop using circular logic, we would not have to keep telling them the same thing.

I honestly believe that no new argument should be introduced until the one on the table is settled. If that means leaving the conversation at " Either your god and I both have a creator or neither of us do". After that is setttled, we will move on to the next bullet point.

I must say, most theists cannot get past this point without rebuking me or trying to switch to another argument.

I think it is a pretty valid point.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I agree

how can something appear from nothing?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Matrix Rising

So, I'm not sure if you were conversing with this young atheist or if he/she just asked you out of the blue, which would be kinda weird.

I suppose I define myself as an agnostic atheist when it comes to the subject. I require some sort of evidence before I believe anything, especially something as substantial as the existence of a god. With my conversations with theists (usually Christians) they offer the Bible as evidence which I do not consider to be convincing evidence at all.

At some point, the conversation usually turns to them asking me how I believe the universe came into being. The big bang theory is what makes the most sense to me based on the evidence so far but I am open to other possibilities as the evidence comes to light. Maybe the universe is just infinite or whatever it may be.. I'm alright with not having a definite answer. Just making one up or taking the word of a certain authority and believing that's how it happened does not do anything for me.

Usually the response I get is that someone must have created the universe as things just don't come into existence from nowhere; and therefore God is the one who did the creating. This obviously causes some problems because you then infinitely regress into who created God who created them etc.. If they believe that God doesn't need a creator then why do they have a problem with a universe that doesn't need a creator.

This is just my experience with the subject and maybe this was the mindset the young atheist was coming from when he/she asked you the question.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IconoclasticTalamasca

This atheist kid just came up to you out of the blue and asked you who created your god, without knowing if you even believed in one? I would say that he was not only rude, but ignorant as well.

Being an atheist, the situation usually plays out very differently. Somehow they start talking about religion to me and I say that I don't follow any religion. They say that I should believe because yadda yadda yadda.

I say that is good for them but I have no proof that a god exists. They then start talking about who created the trees, the birds, and myself. I then ask who, hypothetically, created their god. They say no one and he does not need a creator. I say..using the same logic, neither do I. It cannot be proven either way.

So perhaps if some theists come up with a better argument and stop using circular logic, we would not have to keep telling them the same thing.

I honestly believe that no new argument should be introduced until the one on the table is settled. If that means leaving the conversation at " Either your god and I both have a creator or neither of us do". After that is setttled, we will move on to the next bullet point.

I must say, most theists cannot get past this point without rebuking me or trying to switch to another argument.

I think it is a pretty valid point.

First, it was a debate that occured over a younger cousins house. We talked about many things and then religion came up. When I expressed my beliefs the athiest thought I was cornered with the question,"who created god?"

Again, this is a silly question.

Your atheism does not define my God. You can't ask me who created god, when I don't believe in a God that was created.

Who's belief are you debating? Who's God are you debating if you don't believe in God?

Atheist try to debate against the existence of a created god that they define. This is illogical seeing that they don't believe in God. It's a strawman argument.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulsterman

I agree

how can something appear from nothing?

Well it did. Our existence is real. The question should be how did existence appear out of nowhere.

How did 0 create 1?

Well 0 never created 1. But something else did.

Then ask yourself what is the connection between 0 and 1?

There must be a connection because existence is real. Its just that we dont see it as existing.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join