It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200,000 animals to be sacrificed at Nepal festival

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

200,000 animals to be sacrificed at Nepal festival

news.yahoo.com

KATMANDU, Nepal – Hundreds of thousands of Hindus gathered at a temple in southern Nepal on Tuesday for a ceremony involving the slaughter of more than 200,000 animals, a festival that has drawn the ire of animal-welfare protesters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
KATMANDU, Nepal – Hundreds of thousands of Hindus gathered at a temple in southern Nepal on Tuesday for a ceremony involving the slaughter of more than 200,000 animals, a festival that has drawn the ire of animal-welfare protesters.

A Nepalese minister said it was the largest sacrificial slaughter of animals in the world.

Protests have occurred in recent weeks in towns near the Gadhimai temple and in the capital Katmandu by animals rights activists and other religious groups. However, Hindu organizers refused to halt the slaughter saying it was a centuries-old tradition.

More than 200,000 buffaloes, goats, chickens and pigeons will be killed Tuesday and Wednesday at the temple in the jungles of Bara district, about 100 miles (160 kilometers) south of Katmandu, to honor the Hindu goddess Gadhimai.

Chief government administrator in the area Taranath Gautam said hundreds of thousands of people began lining up in the early hours of Tuesday, and the animal sacrifice rituals had started.

The Gadhimai festival is celebrated every five years. Participants believe sacrificing the animals for Gadhimai will end evil and bring prosperity. Many join the festival from the neighboring Indian state of Bihar, where animal sacrifices have been banned in some areas.

Critics say the killings — carried out by slitting the animals' throats with swords — are barbaric and conducted in a cruel manner.

"We were unable to stop the animal sacrifices this year, but we will continue our campaign to stop killings during this festival," said Pramada Shah of the Animals Nepal group.

Government minister Saroj Yadav said he believed the festival was the biggest animal sacrifice in the world. "We haven't heard a bigger number. ... We are certain this is the largest one," Yadav said.

The slaughtered animals are taken back by devotees to their villages and eaten during a feast. The meat is considered blessed and consuming it protects them from evil.

This is horrible!! Now I understand its a very old tradition but to slaughter animals in this day and age for worship purposes is absolutely crazy!! It's probably not right for me to say that but this is absolutely ridiculous....

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
and one more thing...I realize that they are going to eat the animals..but as old as this tradition is has it ever ended evil and brought prosperity???? I don't think so...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
That is a lot of meat to feed a lot of people in the areas that are still poor in India despise the good economic grow that only the highest in the caste can enjoy.

Is nothing wrong with slaughtering if the meat doesn't go to waste.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
As it said in the article, they aren't wasting the animals. They will be consuming them. Think of all the people that are hungry and will now have a meal!

Besides, that's nothing compared to America. They are slaughtering 200,000 animals to be eaten. America slaughters 90,000 cows everyday. I don't even have to add the number of chickens or pigs to make a comparison.

(23 million chickens a day)

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Sliick]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This ceremony is anti-hinduism

but anyhow
repost
www.abovetopsecret.com...

thx

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The number of animals that are being slaughter EVERYDAY for food is far bigger than 200.000. Sure, this sounds worse cause the animals are a religious sacrifice, but, from your source:

Many Nepalis believe that sacrifices in Gadhimai's honor will bring them prosperity. They also believe that by eating the meat, which is taken back to their villages and consumed during feasts, they will be protected from evil.

So they will eat the sacrificed animals after.

How is this different or more wrong than our western slaughterhouses?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Nothing is wasted, and it is considered a sacred ritual. They can protest, but here is the real question that they need to ask themselves, or any one who protests this ritual: Would you want someone who is not of your faith to dictate what you can and can not do for your faith, because someone may find such offensive?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I just believe it to be a very inhumane blood bath.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well, I know its not for me to decide, but I just find it repulsive.
It's only a matter of opinion.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by berrygurrl

I absolutely agree, i was just pointing out that it's not done solely as a sacrifice, but it's used as food after.

Kind of in the same way a mind-boggling number of turkeys die in the USA around Thanksgiving Day, or in some countries pigs around Christmas time, lambs around Easter and so on. Those are also animal sacrifices, no?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
As long as they are eating what they kill, I have no problem. Yes, I wish that slaughtering was carried out in another fashion, but bleeding an animal is pretty natural. We eat meat, so I see no problem in this.

Now if they were simply doing it for a fashionable jacket... or to sacrifice and waste the meat ala Yaweh... I would have an issue.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by berrygurrl

How about the tens of thousands of cows/horses butchered every day to feed the fat, over-indulging society?

Thats disgusting too, but we all eat it. (ok maybe not everyone)

[edit on 24-11-2009 by havok]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Are you vegan? If so I can understand why you may feel this way. If you eat meat though, I would have to say that you are just a hypocrite looking for something to complain about. Every single meat eating Christian does the same thing that these people are doing when they pray before a meal. The only difference is that they let someone else do the butchering.

Bottom line is, as long as the meat is being consumed the who cares what ignorant religious reason it's for.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Majiq

I try not to eat meat, and if i do (on occasion) then It's organic and free range. i do feel bad for the animals whether they are in Nepal or slaughtered in the US...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Personally I'd like to see any sort of activity like this stop the world over no matter the cultural justification or practice. At this point that's probably too much to ask. And the prosperity thing...hmmm, right. Perhaps there's some reaching going on.

I agree with others that at least it's not wasted. It is also not hidden away to sanitize the image unlike what happens here. If one is going to eat meat, it is more respectable to be willing to get bloody rather than the hypocrisy of out of sight, out of mind with a big steak on the plate.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

"To feed the fat"...You're so right on the money!

It would be nice for some kind of change to occur to quit breeding animals for food and focus on other means of nutrition like something called...hmmm....vegetables! lol!!

Spare animals there lives.

Live in harmony with all of the creatures on earth.....

But, for this kind of change to occur I'm sure a lot of people would rather shoot themselves then give up meat.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I want you guys to know that I'm all about not wasting the meat as well....I just don't agree with the approach.

And Yeah over here in the US it IS done behind closed doors...

It's wrong thru and thru.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by berrygurrl

Living in harmony with the earth includes using the resources and food it gives you. Does a lion not live in harmony with earth?...because it eats meat? If this was 200,000 animals being slaughtered and discarded i would not like it. But if they are eating it afterwards then it's no problem at all. These people are living in harmony...can't say the same in regards to the waste we in the west throw away. Supermarkets and the amount of perfectly good food they throw away every week being a prime example.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

There is using the resources and then there is exploiting the resources.

Why is looking at what another creature does or doesn't do any justification for anything when we are ostensibly capable of considering other actions, consciously? So what if a lion does X or Y or Z. You aren't simply a beast. Well, at least I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Sacrifice of one thing for another is the base evil substrate of this plane.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join