It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple arrested over 'theft' for refusing to tip in restaurant

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sbc650mike

In the UK, in a resteraunt, if you do a good job, most people will tip.

If you dont do a good job, no tip. That is how it works over here and in my opinion, how it should be.

As previously stated a tip is above and beyond, not a standard. It then becomes the places's tax on your food basically.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbc650mike
I can't stand non-tippers or cheap tippers. Ive never worked as a server but I respect their job and I tip WELL. I call out my buddies all the time for trying to not tip. I love that scene in Reservoir Dogs about tipping, and the movie Waiting.

I understand what you're saying and I respect your opinion and am glad to know you've got a big heart. Every little helps, as they say, and I am aware that a lot of American citizens rely on tips to ge thteir bills paid.

But, if tipping is so embedded into everything that is bought, sold, serviced etc. then surely the actual price should cover that.
If you go for dinner and pay $2.00 but a 'service charge' is $3.00...why not just put $5.00 on the price list??

Tipping is a courtesy, not a requirement or legal obligation. Service charges are just a scam in order to attract people to a low priced 'offer' only to be hit by the charge.

I visited Florida, once, and bought a snickers.. I was young, in my teens.. saw the price, as advertised, took it to the till and then wammo.. plus tax..
What???
plus tax?
where the heck did that spring from..
Here in the UK, tax is included in the advertised price.. you do not get charged more as you buy the item..
I did leave a tip for the cherry coke I had on the pier bar though. was on my own and was my first real cherry coke.. loved it.. tipped out of courtesy.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

I claim all my tips, and in general, about 60% or more of my hourly wage is kept for taxes, plus owing more at the end of the year. Stop making assumptions. I don't take any form of assistance, and I work my ass off for my money.

I love all these people saying "Well servers know what they're getting into, they don't have to take the job"..

Yeah, sure, why not? I'll just go work at walmart for minimum wage, that'd be better...?

Or better yet, why do I even bother to have a job?

Hate the system or not, as it is, in the U.S, servers do not get paid hourly for their service, they get paid hourly for the extra things they do like cleaning, being in the restaurant for x amount of time. You don't like tipping? Choose another food option where it is not included. If you go to a restaurant and get service that you don't pay for, you are cheating the server, because you're getting service that they assume you ARE going to pay for. Like someone else said earlier, if you have such an issue with tipping, and you're going to a place where servers or bartenders are expected to be tipped, tell them the instant you get there that you don't believe in tipping, so you get what you're actually intending to pay for, i.e. minimum wage or less service, and they can spend their time and energy on people who WILL pay them for it.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

This is my idea of tipping.... LOL

I am very generous when it comes to tipping if the service is excellent. I have left a 50% tip in the past just on sheer appreciation and the waitress had no idea though I let her manager know what a star they had. I know I can be difficult at times, picky to say the least when it comes to ordering steak or tea. Here in the South they seem to think ice tea should be about 5x sweeter than a hummingbird would desire it.

I try to politely inform my waiter/waitress if I am not happy, but sometimes, the service is just so bad, I have to leave. I don't hold it against the wait staff if it's the fault of the chef. If my meal comes and they have done their job, I will tip them, but if the product actually was terrible, I will tell the manager politely, and inform them I wont be coming back. I do find the above video quite humorous.

On a side note, my partner and I chaperoned the school's football band during an after game gathering at a sit down burger place called, "Steak and Shake'. As many were leaving, we noticed zero tips on the tables. We stopped them, and said, "Hey, where is the waitress' tip? They shrugged and walked off, and on the next bus ride to the following game, my partner let them have it. Apparently, based on their comments, waitresses make about $12.00/hour and they don't need tips! I told them, they need to grow up, get a job, and find out. Most waitresses make less than half of minimum wage, often have to share tips with busboys and bartenders. I think many people are just cheap SOB and they are usually Democrats too btw.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Actually, in my experience, the worst tipping demographic are hardcore christians. Bible on the table? No tip. Instead you get a lovely leaflet about how you need christ in your life, etc.

We have groups come in every sunday 10 minutes before close, after their service. They barely tip if at all, they force the servers to hang around for a couple hours after close.. horrible people.

posted on Aug, 30 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Inannamute

Think you read way too much into my post there sugar, never said i didn't tip...just said it shouldn't be a mandatory expectation from an establishment. And yes, if the service blows....i don't tip....

But then Im an a**hole that way...I believe that good work deserves the very best....i shouldn't have to tip someone for being subpar....nor should a resturant make me do so just to patronise the establishment.

there is a fine line between bad service, and busy service.......the latter i can understand...the afore mention...well theres no excuse for it from a customer.

Businesses usually want customers to come back...if your employees suck.....customers wont come back.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join