It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple arrested over 'theft' for refusing to tip in restaurant

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
Anyone know the name of this restaurant in the OP's story?

Lehigh Pub
4 New Street - Bethlehem Here are a few reviews - not 100%

actually this Yelp site looks better

[edit on 24/11/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

n general, in Europe tips are more of a token of appreciation than the main source of workers' compensation.

That is because in Europe no establishment would get away with paying their worker 2.13 an hour. (I don't include the UK in "Europe" - their service workers are also woefully underpaid).

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Since when did any law around the world, protect a waites gratituity? tip* rather... interesting to see polie back up waiters... an hour for food? I could have gone to a food store, bough $300 worth of food , goten back home and eaten twice over in an hour, rather than be waited on. Makes me wonder if the wiater or kitchen people also spit in the food, have rat n raoch problems in the back as well....
A freind of mine, his brother 12 years ago, used to work at a wendys. His brother, he tells me, used to do sick things like that..spit in the food. One guy working thier, also masturbated in some kinda secret suace they had in the back. Maybe like 7 yeas ago, i went to a local taco bell, no one spoke any english, and whn i got home, my soft shell tacos were almost stone cold, like the food was never heated* i never go to taco bell again...
One time, maybe like 5 or 6 years ago, took a date to a local downtown japanese resteraunt....not bad food acutally. Had leek soup. Upon leaving, the guy working the front booth siad sir sir is/was everything ok? i told him yeah .....he asked abuot his 8% percent tip* i did tip him, but was kinda annoying he kinda ran after me just before going out the door. He was egyptian looking....found it odd, an egypitin working in a japanese resteraunt...

Things like this is why i dont eat out anymore...yuo dont know whos bhind the counter serving yuor mess..im waiting to read a headline one day, like a serial killer was the head cook!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I understand including the tip for large parties because yes that often is overlooked, especially if people are splitting the bill. This is more a courtesy than a mandate. Seems to me the manager is not too bright and the cops just didn't know what to do. This will never stand up in court.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It is pretty common for restaurants to add this to bills over a certain $ amount. It is an oxymoron, but necessary as there are plenty of cheap a-holes who would sit their with their party for an hour or more, taking up more than one table, and leave nothing.

Things certainly don't seem to add up with the stories. I think the truth is probably somewhere in the middle as it usually is. Nevertheless if the article is accurate in stating that the menus list that parties of six or more will get this charge then it is theft, as it is a part of the bill.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Here's a way to handle "mandatory" gratuities...

1 - pay the bill in pennies

2 - if they don't want pennies but accept credit-cards, tell them you charge a signing fee. Your signature isn't free. In fact, it works out to the same amount as the "mandatory" gratuity LOL!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
i rarely if ever tip.

why?

why should I pay someone extra for actually doing their job?

the fact they're willing to work that job for $2 an hour isn't my concern.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I had a friend that years ago owned a very popular TexMex restaurant that rented wait stations to the waiters and waiters and always had a waiting list of people willing to pay to work....Waitresses tips are often shared with the people that bus the tables as well as with bartenders.... The way I see it is that if it hurts you to have to tip you should just stay home or go to Taco Bell.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
i rarely if ever tip.

why?

People like you are the reason that mandatory tips are a good thing. You should let your wait staff know that when you sit down, then you could see the difference between merely doing your job, and giving good service.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
There is no way diners should be expected to shore up low pay. Tips should be neither a moral or a legal obligation. In fact in the UK there are plenty of other basic pay jobs where the worker doesn't have the opportunity for tips. Interesting though - what would you do if the serving staff were brilliant but the food awful?

[edit on 24-11-2009 by unicorn1]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I bet they don't get on Craigs List. What idiot business would destroy a potential future sale by being so petty?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by uwascallywabbit

'in the US, servers who work for tips are taxed upon their food sales'.

Is this true scallywabbit?
Are you saying that someone who receives a low wage plus tips pays tax based on the value of the food dished up? How could that be? If it's an expensive restaurant they could end up with a deficit!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
This is very simple:

1. Enjoy the evening. Having fun with friends, why be so hung up on the "service"?

2. Pay your bill (tip included). Have fun with having "bad service". It's definately easy to poke fun and joke about.

3. Don't go back or do if your into that sort of thing. Fun topics for future evenings out will be recalling "bad service" expierences.

If you think you will ever look back at a "situation" and laugh...might as well just laugh now.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I currently work at a restaurant, good food for decent prices. I make $2.13 an hour, but after taxes I receive a paycheck for 0.00 every two weeks. Tips are the only means to make money in the restaurant business as a server.

If you don't think you should tip then you should stay home.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mavman

Are you sure your not being ripped off by your boss?

I dunno how many hours you work but I'm sure you shouldn't pay $2.13 in taxes etc for every hour you work.. A 40 hour week means your earning and paying $85.20...Over here in the UK I think I would expect to pay about £30 ish in every £100 I earn (but I gotta be honest I can never bring my self to figure it out)..

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

Yes, it's true. I have worked as a server in restaurants in the past, and you (or usually the restaurant manager) have to keep a record of your sales and pay income tax on the estimated tips, even if you don't get any. And yes, it does leave a deficit. This was instituted during the Reagan administration, which wouldn't raise taxes on the rich and so got more revenues from low-wage workers like us.

Also, Grady Philpott is right. Often large parties take all of a waiter's time and attention for an hour or more, and then don't tip. The waiter essentially works for free for those two hours.

Because I have been a server and know what it's like, I tend to tip well, unless the service is really awful, and that's rare.

Often service is slow because the restaurant is very busy and they don't put enough waiters on the floor to get to everyone in a timely fashion or to check back frequently on the tables. This is to save money on waiter's salaries. Of course, on busy nights the servers get stiffed a lot, but what does the management care?

Another thing a waiter is penalized for is if the kitchen doesn't cook the food right, or if they are very slow in getting out the order. Customers don't care what the reason is, if the food doesn't come out right or if the service is too slow the wait staff pay.

For these reasons, I usually put down a good tip, even if I see my waiter running around desperately trying to serve everybody and falling behind. Former servers are usually good tippers.

Finally, I see the mandatory service charge for large parties as fair. It's a service CHARGE, not a voluntary matter. Almost all other businesses charge for service. In fact, such a service charge could well be added to all checks. Customers could elect to pay a tip in addition if they really liked the service.

If the customers in question were really served poorly, then I think they should have the right to dispute the service charge, though. Again, many other businesses would agree to waive it if the customer had a legitimate grievance.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
chain restaurants are notorious for excessive charging and really bad service.
i took my mother to o'charleys not so long ago and we both ordered steaks that came out ice cold we sent them back 3 times and they were still coldlike they came out of refrigerator so i asked to see the magager to explain the situation why i was cancelling my order and was only going to pay for sodas consumed while waiting he threatened to call cops i paid for crap asked for a too go bag and on my way out threw contents in trash in front of 30 people in line waiting for seats and told them how sorry the service was and went across street to logans road house got really great service and food

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Mandatory tips aka service charge is the 10% that you pay for sitting down to eat.

that is not including the tip. i worked as a waiter for the better part of a year now. and the waiters don't really see much of that. most of that goes to the boss.

Whoever wrote the story about this is wrong. its not a mandatory tip. its a service charge. its added in because of you staying in the restaurant not necessarily for being waited on but just because your there. watching the game on the tv or listening to the live music. the service charge is not a tip. waiters see only about 3-5% of the service charge. while the tip goes straight into our pockets.

so pay the service charge but if the service was that bad just don't leave a tip.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
i rarely if ever tip.

why?

most restaurant dont pay by the hour. unless you work at a chain restaurant. most family owned restaurants waiters work solely off tips. so next time your food tastes funny you'll know why.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Most states restaurants have mandatory gratuity for parties of 8 or more.

In fact it's a state code in states like Florida where I live and it's preprinted on the check.

In other words its part of a contract in contract law. If you are seated as a party of eight or more you are establishing that contract under contract code law.

Now this is where it gets insane but it helps to understand almost all laws in the U.S. are based on Contract Law and not Constitutional Law.

The Restaurant establishes the contract with you De Facto when you are seated as a party of eight or more...

If and this is the crazy part the restaurant does not collect the prescribed gratuity then they are in fact in violation of the contract and where that becomes important is every previous party of eight eating at that restaurant ever is entitled to a refund on their 18% gratuity because state law prevents such codes from being applied selectively. You either have to collect the 18% all of the time or none of the time. If you fail to collect it one documented time then it opens the establishment up to a retroactive lawsuit.

Keep in mind too that these are college kids and there is no telling just how rowdy they were or weren't and how truthful they are or are not being in regards to the service.

The crazy part is that had the restuarant not collected the tip or called to police when the customers refused to pay it, they would have become immediately liable to lawsuits from previous consumers and the states attorney generals office.

The corporate code laws are never ending and non-constitutional but they are all based on executable contracts that make them legal. They are binding once executed and the party allowing itself to be sat as a group of eight or larger executed the contract at that point in time.

It's very important to understand that most of the corporate codes are contracts and that you yourself are often executing the contracts without ever knowing you are in fact executing a contract.

A contract is a contract just ask the Devil if you don't believe me, how do you think I got here on slave planet earth! I knew I should have read the fine print on that thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join