It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our most-used words show 10 years of doom and gloom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
www.mirror.co.uk...

The most used phrases over the last decade show the world is most often described from a gloomy lexicon of illness and disaster.

Climate change, terrorism, New York's 9/11 twin towers outrage and the global credit crunch - or financial tsunami - are the top four on the list, revealed yesterday.

The only "neutral" entry is King of Pop - meaning tragic singer Michael Jackson - but that is only thirteenth. Swine flu is sixth, behind Weapons of Mass Destruction, in the most repeated sayings on the internet and media.

But, proving America's domination of communications, the compilation by the Global Language Monitor of Texas has "Let's Roll" seventh.They were the last words of Todd Beamer, a passenger on one of the hijacked 9/11 jets, before he and others tried to storm the cockpit.

Next came Red State/Blue State - whether an area was Republican or Democrat in the presidential election.

More widespread was Carbon Footprint - about the environment - while the invasion of Iraq was represented by Shock and Awe. GLM founder Paul Payack said: "For a decade that began with such joy and hope, the doom and gloom words depict in many ways a tragic time."

TOP 10 PHRASES (2000-2009): 1 Climate Change; 2 Financial Tsunami; 3 Ground Zero; 4 War on Terror; 5 WMD; 6 Swine Flu; 7 Let's Roll; 8 Red State/Blue State; 9 Carbon Footprint; 10 Shock and Awe.

So. What does this say about us?

Are we conditioned to revel in misery? Do we actually enjoy reading all of the bad news and constantly referencing it?

Or are we being programmed that way? After all, no news is bad news, bad news is great news.

I happen to think its both. Yes our media is over saturated with misery, negativity and bad news. However, it seems we as humans do like it that way. A kind of safety blanket, reassuring us that it could be worse.

"Capture their minds and their hearts and souls will follow"

Be aware.

Related threads:
Does the Mass Media Have An Interest In Keeping The Public Fearful?
The Good News Is The Bad News Is Wrong
A False Sense Of Insecurity?
When War Becomes Peace, When The Lie Becomes The Truth

Peace.

[edit on 05/08/2009 by LiveForever8]

[edit on 05/08/2009 by LiveForever8]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Naw...it's not both. It's conditioning. And never has this been so obvious before as when America's last president said "terrist" 6,340,112 times during his term of office. People would rather be happy, at peace, content, but there's just so much to worry about these days, everywhere you turn, that all the doom and gloom is probably pretty relevant. I do however believe that our susceptibility to the overexposure of doom and gloom and our resulting actions have to a degree and in itself made things exponentially worse. Same as when we foolishly believed things were good.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It's not like we create these words. The media creates them and bombards them with us in every article and report on TV and in the paper.
I think the subject should be "The Medias most-used words".

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
S&F on this. I do agree that these words are mostly spread by the MSM. If we were to start using other words, that aims at opening our mind to our own realities (within), then maybe we'd start to see immediate changes, that would change the way we live our lives.
The conditioning of the mind is so easy, it's not even funny. Discernment, through objective analysis of the data received, is essential to stay in perfect balance and harmony within our own experience.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by lagenese]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Excellent thread.

I wonder what the comparisons would be for several of the preceding decades?

Perhaps all this demonstrates is that 'bad news' sells.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I can't help but notice that all of the phrases on the list seem like "buzz words" designed to frighten the public and herd us all into the NWO.

TOP 10 PHRASES (2000-2009): 1 Climate Change; 2 Financial Tsunami; 3 Ground Zero; 4 War on Terror; 5 WMD; 6 Swine Flu; 7 Let's Roll; 8 Red State/Blue State; 9 Carbon Footprint; 10 Shock and Awe.

C'mon all of these phrases are nothing but govt propaganda to make us believe the 9-11 OS , the following BS "war on terror" ,dupe us into falling for Global Governance through climate control, or accepting martial law to protect us from their BS "pandemic" (I still don't know of one person in my area who has had this made up disease).

It truely is frightening to know that all of the most commonly used phrases of the past ten years, every single one of them, can be defined with one term;
"LIES TOLD TO US BY OUR GOVERNMENT."

Rant over. Thank you for you're attention.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

It truely is frightening to know that all of the most commonly used phrases of the past ten years, every single one of them, can be defined with one term; "LIES TOLD TO US BY OUR GOVERNMENT."

Exactly.

It truly is frightening that the words we all use most are spoon fed to us by TPTB, and all of them have a negative connotations. They all revolve around fear, confusion, terror, panic etc.

If this is not evidence of psychological warfare i don't know what is!

Peace.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have not used those words very often at all.
A proper list of most used words would include: the, a, an, I, you, etc...
It seems as if someone picked the words out of a history book on the past 10 years, and are you really suprised at the results? Sure they may be all doom and gloom, but they are relevant to what has occurred in the past decade according to the media.

We should create a real list of most used phrases on ATS.
-Chemtrails
-NWO
-Depopulation
-FEMA death camps
-Media Over-hype
-Climate Change Fraud
-Ukrainian Super-Flu
-2012 Apocalypse
-UFOs
Hmmm, now I don't see any Doom and Gloom on the original list...

[edit on 24-11-2009 by fleetlord]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by fleetlord

A proper list of most used words would include: the, a, an, I, you, etc...

It seems as if someone picked the words out of a history book on the past 10 years, and are you really suprised at the results? Sure they may be all doom and gloom, but they are relevant to what has occurred in the past decade according to the media.

Surprised? No. Relevant? Indeed. If not anything else they are a sign of the times. This should remind people just how terrible the last 10 years have been, and how much it really does effect our mindsets.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Good to see issues like 9/11 on there, as it just gives hope that the people who committed it won't get away without at least their motives being turned against them in the end.

Doom and gloom because this is what we live in. If you are satisfied with this world, then I feel sorry for you, that you don't know what true satisfaction really is.

new topics

top topics

join