It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Bang atom smasher starts speeding proton beams

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The protons that will be smashed together will reveal makeup of the universe. When these protons collide, the scientists will study them and see if any of the sub atomic particles like higgs boson, graviton or other particles are discovered.

Scientists running the world's largest atom smasher used the $10 billion machine's accelerator to speed up proton beams for the first time Tuesday, in a step toward experiments about the makeup of the universe.

"It was just a preliminary test," said James Gillies, spokesman for the European Organization for Nuclear Research. But the machine showed it could raise the energy of the proton beams whizzing around the massive machine by an initial 10 percent.

Source: news.yahoo.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
They'll be sorry when they open that interdimensional portal up and Chuthulu pops out and says 'how ya doin'?'

Seriously, tho... I had a weird vision when they ran the thing last time- who knows what undetectable waves, rips, jumps and other assorted things will happen, That only certain others (line of sight? Magnetic forces of the planet guiding stuff?) will experience simply because science hasn't discovered it, and the equipment simply wont pick it up? I wont say stuff will seek me out- but I am willing to bet that "stories" of weird, unexplained crap will begin to appear on here and elsewhere. A % of them will be hoaxes, ect- but not all....

Worst case scenario? They tweak something juuust right, the LHC turns into a hyperdrive, and the whole stinking planet ends up in deep trouble lightyears from home.

join