It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye jobs, hello mom and dad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
This news story appeared this morning

WASHINGTON – Faced with limited job options, many young adults are turning to an old standby to weather the recession: moving back in with mom and dad.

Nearly 1 in 7 parents with grown children say they had a "boomerang kid" move back home in the past year, according to a study being released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center. In a turnabout in the rite of passage in which a college graduate finds a job and an apartment, many are returning to their parents' empty nests because of tight finances or as they pursue an advanced degree.
you can read the rest here

I thought it a prime example of the melt down... I too have kids who returned home... my oldest now a single mom couldn't manage on her meager income so the wife and I were thrilled to have her return... of course I thought my diaper changing days were long passed but that is a small price to pay to have my lovely granddaughter cuddle in my lap every evening...

My next oldest a college student was doing fine on his scholarship until the university hiked tuition and dorm costs. He did take a part time job to fill the gap but it wasn't enough...

Our youngest is still in high school A junior this year he plans of following in daddy's foot steps only rather than do his time as an enlisted man he will be going to officers training school (Navel academy)

I have friends in the same boat. I have friends who've had to take their parents in. It seems funny that for so long it was expected once grown we all went our separate ways... now I have come to learn and respect the institution of the extended family. what we couldn't do alone now we can do together... It is a learning experience for us, we Americans are not accustomed to living as extended families but this is a new age... as they say... the new normal

I do not see this new challenge as a trial but a testament to the will of the American people. We learned some bad habits with the so call nuclear families... now were are getting back to another age were the strength of family is everything!

[edit on 24-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
The question remains:

What are 25 million un-employed people going todo when they run out of money completely? As in, no more benefits?

Hmm....think about that one for a minute.

I think I'll start a thread on it.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'm thinking, based on personal experience, that the numbers probably a lot higher than 1 in 7.

It's happening to most of the people I know...kids and other family members moving back in, roommates, and the like. In my household too..my ex lives downstairs with his girlfriend and both my son and his best friend live here now too...bad timing for a divorce these days, people! lol! I heard a news story on the radio two years ago that even gave me the idea to have everyone live here to begin with, so I know it's happening a lot.

And in a way it's kind of nice...to have everyone together and to actually make use of what I always said was probably far too big a house for two or three people to begin with

[edit on 24-11-2009 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Sounds like a good reason to change the door locks or move to another town and don't leave a forwarding address.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well I have two children young adults single, a 23 and a 25 year old, both are living with us at home, but have jobs but none can make it right now on their own and they are also afraid of losing their jobs.

I guess I am joining the ranks of that still have adult children at home.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
The question remains:

What are 25 million un-employed people going todo when they run out of money completely? As in, no more benefits?

You know that old expression... "together we stand divided we fall" We don't need our government to rescue us... we do very well, thank you very much... where it gets difficult is when governments interfere. taking homes land and peoples rights away.

America wasn't built on welfare and food stamps it was built on the strength and will of her people, hard work, dedication to a task well done, pride in ones accomplishments..It's to easy to blame others... if you want real change in your life, you'll be waiting a very long time if you expect someone else to come along and do it for you...

We didn't create this problem but we sure as hell can fix it, as long as we do something... We the people, her citizens are America, not Obama or some wall street CEO. I for one will never go hat in hand begging. Their plan didn't work, at least they tried, but now its up to us... they had their shot.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I say, with the family back in the house (the way it used to be) it will be a good thing, also.

If you have more help, you can grow your own food, and survive if things get bad!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Hey what you are talking about, I am the one that has to do more cooking and more washing.

I wasn't going to cook turkey this thanksgiving now I have to deal with my son and daughters significant ones as part of the festivities.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by havok

Hey what you are talking about, I am the one that has to do more cooking and more washing.

I wasn't going to cook turkey this thanksgiving now I have to deal with my son and daughters significant ones as part of the festivities.

I grew up with the Kitchen being the families gathering point... A place where everyone pitched in and we talked laughed and cried there... Have fun... enjoy your family and potential members.... now more than ever we need each other...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by havok

That's your fault. You buy the Turkey and MAKE them cook it or do without. Mom and Dad set the rules right? That is the problem with America today. You have raised children with no respect, lazy and expect hand outs even from mom and dad.

If they are living with you rent free after age 18 they darn well better be cutting the grass, waxing the car, cooking, cleaning the house at the very minimum. If not, you raised losers. Nothing personal...

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Xeven]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Is one problem, I don't let anybody in my kitchen, I am the owner, slave queen of my kitchen, specially when my husband did an upgrade and I just don't trust my brand new glass flat top stove to anybody.

Actually I grew up in a big family that when gatherings for holidays and any celebration was done we have enough of our own that outsiders were out of the question.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by alttracks
Sounds like a good reason to change the door locks or move to another town and don't leave a forwarding address.

That's what I always say I will do, but I am of course, kidding with my children, I mean anybody who has children would NEVER want to see them homeless, especially their daughters. I mean that's whose most being affected, I mean at least the sons can join the service, it's not so easy for the women, as During the war time, they really only want to recruit what they call "infantry" any other field is not recruiting or they're taking bare minimum, so You'd have your daughters go homeless? That's cruel. Do you know what happens to women on the street? You must not have any children.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by ldyserenity]

[edit on 24-11-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
My children, son 40 and daughter 34, left home with their families a few years ago to strike it rich. That didn't work.

We have a family compound and now son and his family live in my house, I live in my deceased parents house, daughter and her family live in my grandmothers house and brother and his daughter and her children live in his house. We all live side by side.

Everybody works except me, I retired in 2007, and I could not be happier having them close . And the houses are paid in full so nobody has rent or house payment.

Both my children are very helpful also. I just haven't gotten them into helping with the garden yet.

I like having them here all under my wings.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
The question remains:

They will go to China and teach English! If not China then they will go and teach in other 'developing' countries. This is already happening.

They will become the new 'white' economic migrants, like the South Africans who are faced with similar situations.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by deessell

This is so true, even my son plans to go start working in Japan and live there when he graduates, I couldn't be more happy, always wanted to see Japan, get to travel, now I will have good cause!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by alttracks

So you'd let your own children (even though they're adults now), sit out in the cold, no shelter, no food, etc? That's pretty heartless. I know my parents are real jerks, but when I lost my job a few years back and was evicted, they were there to let me back in their home.
I can't believe you'd say such a cruel thing.
If I had children, and they lost their jobs, were evicted, and had issues getting another job, I'd help them out in a heartbeat.

My parents are demanding I get either a full time job, or another part time job (I'm currently working at a P/t job), but they're so sheltered they don't understand how difficult it is right now. I'm just glad I've got one part time job =\

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by deessell

Here in the southwest we've seen a lot of people leave theie old homes Calif places back east and flock here due to our somewhat lower unemployment... reminds me of the dust bowl where thousands loaded everything they owned in the old model T and flocked west...

those few jobs we do have, don't always pay well... cost of living is high here so making a fresh start is hard but they are trying some succeeding... people dont need to go overseas there are jobs here... just not a lot of those cushy high paying desk jobs... those days are gone

new topics

top topics

join