It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred for Christians

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Why do so many Atheists hate Christianity?!?!

Notice i say Christianity and not religion... this is because, in my opinion, it seems to be Christianity that is normally singled out for attack when the debate on religion starts. In second place would probably come Islam, and then Judaism. But it does seem that non-believers have a special hatred of Christianity.

Why has it become so popular to insult and attack Christianity???

Now... i know the usual sarcastic responses to this so let’s just get them outta the way...

1) Because of all the millions of people killed in the name of Christianity

Well yes... that’s true... over the last 2000 years people have been killed “in the name of Christianity”
But because people have misused Christianity does not mean that Christianity as a religion is guilty. If anything then it is the people who misused Christian beliefs for their own gain who are guilty of murder.
Same can be said for Communism... I don’t believe that there is anything in communist ideology that justifies the mass murder of millions... However, Stalin did murder millions in communisms name. Do you blame Stalin on communism?

2) Because of the brainwashed followers belief in fairy tales and an old book

First point is... who is brainwashed? I made my decision to become a Christian on my own... no influence... no subjugation!! Why can’t I choose to follow the belief system of my choice without persecution and hatred?

Why are some people so arrogant as to think that their belief system is so superior to others that they have the right to attack and insult them...

I mentioned this in another post...

If you really think about it, everything is based on faith to some extent ...

What do you REALLY know as fact? I mean real facts, not what you read in books written buy others... not what you see on TV or what people tell you... But things you have researched and studied from scratch!!!

Even the greatest minds on earth base their theories and ideas on the back of work done by others before them.

People can sometimes be a little arrogant in the way they talk about their beliefs (Religious and non-religious alike)

I am a Christian and have often been mocked by non believers for simply hearing that I am religious.

"How can you believe all that junk" they say "you might as well believe in the tooth fairy"

They say it with such confidence that you would think they had existed since the dawn of time and witnessed the whole creation of the universe... When in reality they are simply choosing to believe a collection of second hand theories, which they don’t truly understand, from scientist they have never met.

3) Because you try to ram your beliefs down our throats

I think everybody, regardless of their beliefs, is guilty of this to a degree! Yes, people get irritated by Jehovah’s witness knocking at the door... but i also get frustrated by the constant bombardment of anti Christian sentiment in the media... The Simpsons, Southpark, Family guy, comedians, radio, film, books... it sometimes feels like it’s everywhere!!

So really... who is ramming beliefs (or non-beliefs) down people’s throats??

4) Because of the Catholic paedophile cover up

A disgusting and vile conspiracy involving the Catholic church... Granted. But again it is the people involved who are disgusting and vile. The Bible certainly does not advocate and sexual abuse of children and DOES warn of dire consequences for people that do. There are plenty of examples of Child abusers from all walks of life... Pagans, Atheists, Muslims, Hindus etc... The problem is a human defect problem... not religious!
Plus... not all Christians are catholic... but once again we are all tarred with the same brush.

5) Why does your God allow so many bad things to happen

Probably one of the most common questions. God has given man the gift of free will... all the things that happen in life are down to our choices... this is a subject that already has a thread of its own so I won’t go into it to deeply... i just want to say that it is all about faith and the fact that a better life awaits us.

I have had many good debates with Atheists, agnostics and people of other faiths, over the years... but just lately I have seen a much more aggressive approach by some of the Atheists. I am under no illusion, I realise that there are people who claim to be Christians but approach anyone who doesn’t believe with an equal amount of aggression... They are wrong!!
But i am not here to discuss those Christians. What i want to know is why all of Christianity is under attack by a group of people who are acting in a way that can only be described as aggressive and inflammatory? Even the book written by the distinguished academic, Richard Dawkins, is inflammatory
“The God Delusion” The very title is insulting!

What makes someone so arrogant as to confidently label billions of people as delusional because of their belief systems?

The title is counterproductive, if his true motive is to get an honest debate about the existence of God, because it only serves to offend and isolate the very people you should be trying to reach!!

So... why so much hatred??

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Can we stop with the Christians feeling like they are constantly being attacked on ATS, everyday a new twist on the same arguments. Get over it, your religion teaches you to turn the cheek, and I'm sure God will survive a bit of criticism from an Internet web forum.

I wouldn't worry about your religion or any other. Unfortunately religion will be with us for a long time to come, holding back any chance of a progressive society

[edit on 24-11-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
lol - ok ok i can see your frustration on this one...

i guess my issue is more to do with the level of hatred displayed in the Criticism of Christianity... not the criticism itself. I can handle I good honest debate and enjoy listening to others views... I just get frustrated when good threads descend into a farce!

I have seen too many good debates derailed by hatred.

It reminds me of the venom displayed by racists when their argument descends into childish insults.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I think most have a dislike for religion in general. Fact is,most people on ATS are from the west where Christianity is most vocal and ingrained in our society. Makes sense that it will take the brunt of peoples opinions when in reality they feel the same way about all of them. Hate is a strong word, but no i don't like religion in general. Doesn't mean i don't like religious folks. Religion isn't something that should be shielded simply because it's a religion...it's akin to me hating a tv series but a friend likes it. Doesn't mean i hate my friend. Religion is no different.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Christians being attacked on ATS is god's will. In the olden times it was tests of faith by boils.. now it's hostility on the internets.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
What would be the point of challenging superstitions with a tiny number of followers in the west? You don't see Islam or Judaism trying to push their wares on us here, perhaps in the East, but we don't live there. Clearly you haven't thought this through at all, and, as so many other Christians like you recently, you just want an outlet to complain.

If there was a serious population of Muslims to confront, that'd be just fine too!

I've said it many times before, I find the whole Christian persecution complex hilarious, they just love to flaunt how they have a huge 80-90% majority and then in the very same breath whine and moan about how terribly oppressed they are by the 4 or 5% of the population who disagrees with them.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I guess one of the problems for me is that of extremists.

I would consider myself a, to coin a political phrase "moderate Christian”

I do not believe that God hates gays... I do not believe in preaching to people that they must follow my particular denomination or burn...

So i expect the same level of courtesy back. I guess that’s why I feel empathy for the “moderate” Muslims... their whole religion is under attack because extremists who have warped the religion for their own gains. And the people who attack religion as a whole because of this segment of extremists?? well aren’t they extremists themselves???

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Such behavior must be expected from a site like this, people have views that are worlds apart. I do not agree that Atheists hate Christians, I believe they dislike what religion has done to humanity as a whole. Personally, I have seen some nasty behavior coming from so called 'Christians' towards Atheists or anyone that questions their beliefs. So I suppose it's a matter of tit for tat, what you reap is what you sow- I think it's called Karma.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muckster
And the people who attack religion as a whole because of this segment of extremists?? well aren’t they extremists themselves???

Why would opposing something make you an extremist? An extremist would be someone who kills another person for their beliefs.

If you're a republican and you oppose all the core beliefs of democrats, that doesn't make you an extremist, it makes you a republican. If you're a republican and you kill democrats because you believe they don't deserve to be alive for their opinions, then you're an extremist.

Why is it alright to outwardly oppose a political party and not a religious organization? Religion isn't untouchable because some people really really believe it to be true.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

So are you saying that because you are in the "minority group" you have the right to be rude, insulting and aggressive???

And that the people who are in the "majority group" should just put up with it??

That just doesn’t make sense to me! All i am asking for is that people be polite when discussing issues and that they show less hatred towards people of different beliefs.

I also wish to discover where the hatred comes from.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Muckster]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
All religion is extremist imo. There is no scale of 1 to 10 here! The moment you decide to deny reality, rational thought and worship a deity, well that by any measure is simply "extremist".

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

That just doesn’t make sense to me! All i am asking for is that people be polite when discussing issues and that they show less hatred towards people of different beliefs.

I also wish to discover where the hatred comes from.

Adamant disagreement does not equal hatred.

[edit on 11/24/2009 by ZombieOctopus]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

I am afraid you seem to be making up your own definitions of extremists

Extremist

noun 1. a person who goes to extremes, esp. in political matters.
2. a supporter or advocate of extreme doctrines or practices.

Nothing mentioned there about killing people.

Would you not consider a KKK member to have extreme views? Would this not make him an extremist?? Even if he had not killed anyone!!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I think in generel christianity is the best religion. I do agree that it is being attacked alot nowadays, but i also feel that those pagans are trying to resurface aren't they. The pagans have never actually left the world seen, but just left the face of society.

Yep also being a christian means you get tested, and life is hard for many, but knowing your not alone, means alot to people.

Yep the people who say christianity has been abused, like the christian zionists, isn't that a contradiction in itself. People in america for me should look at themselves for liking to be christian zionists, and why would christians want palestiains to suffer, is beyond me.

For me christian zionists are just pagans, who like many christian faiths pretend to be christian in name alone.

How on earth people want people to be treated like they are in gaza, for the country of israel, to belong to the anglo americans, is beyond me. This is what gives christians a bad name.

Also the hypocrites, that applaud tony blair, saying he is good, when we all know he played his part in the murder and torture of how many?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

To go along with the question ZombieOctopus raised : why can't we make fun of religion without the usual shameful and scornful looks? I make fun of "Stargate Atlantis" and no one bats an eye. Why should making fun of one garner more scorn than another? Both are made up and not real.

As for your question about hatred - as an atheist I don't harbour any "hatred" for Christians or Christianity or religion in general. I simply don't like religion and find it laughable at best, pathetic at worst.

But if you want to believe in it then fair play to you and I respect that. However, please do not get into a position of political power where your decisions and choices could be based or influenced by your religion. That isn't fair on everyone else.

[edit on 24-11-2009 by noonebutme]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Why are some people so arrogant as to think that their belief system is so superior to others that they have the right to attack and insult them...

....Because they don't understand them. And, many times, they are driven by fear. Why are you so quick to label them arrogant?

-Dev

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

An extremist would take their view point to the absolute limit.

Unfortunately it seems, like many other words lately, American media has degraded the value of it. Now liking health care makes you a communist, being patriotic makes you a fascist, everyone with an opinion is an extremist, if you're liked by the people you're Hitler.

Holding or opposing a view point doesn't make you extreme in any way. Unless you want to tack on opinion, as in, you hold an extreme opinion concerning an issue. If you just say extremist, people conjure up certain imagery that doesn't correlate to real life.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jinx880101

Such behavior must be expected from a site like this, people have views that are worlds apart. I do not agree that Atheists hate Christians, I believe they dislike what religion has done to humanity as a whole. Personally, I have seen some nasty behavior coming from so called 'Christians' towards Atheists or anyone that questions their beliefs. So I suppose it's a matter of tit for tat, what you reap is what you sow- I think it's called Karma.

I never said all Atheists hate Christians... Please forgive me if I gave that impression... i Believe it is only a minority of Atheists who hate Christians... I just want to know why!!

I have experienced this hatred first hand... I have had things said to me in the work place that are so bigoted, if they were used in the same way regarding sex or colour the person would lose their job.

But, for some reason, it is acceptable to poke fun at and abuse Christianity.

I am well aware that others also suffer from bigotry and abuse... but if I want to discuss those issues I will start another thread.

peace

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Maybe just because the people are intolerant, fearful and arrogant? The Christianity is not the only one having it's piece of the cake - the hatred spouts freely in all directions, quite equally. And it is quite likely that it all boils down to the fear.

No matter if you you are believer, gay, a single, bregnant woman thinking of abortion, soldier, activist, truther or mystic, you all are going to face hatred. There just are people that thrives from it, but they'll never admit you that they do this because they are afraid; no, they wear out all other explanations before doing that.

-v

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

great reply... No sinister undertones... just honesty

Star for you

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join