It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Interstellar Dust Clouds or Neutron Stars Harbor Life?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

In his famous lecture, "Life in the Universe," Stephen Hawking observed that what we normally think of as 'life' is based on chains of carbon atoms, with a few other atoms, such as nitrogen or phosphorous. We can imagine that one might have life with some other chemical basis, such as silicon, "but carbon seems the most favorable case, because it has the richest chemistry." Several eminent scientists think otherwise, that life in the universe could have a myriad of possible biochemical foundations ranging from life in ammonia to life in hydrocarbons and silicon. Silicates have a rich chemistry with a propensity for forming chains, rings, and sheets. One of the founders on modern genetics, Cairs-Smith, argued that layers of crystalline silicates functioned as a primitive form of life on early Earth, before they evolved into carbon-based life forms.

www.dailygalaxy.com... g/2009/11/could-interstellar-dust-clouds-or-neutron-stars-harbor-life.html

I always believed that life exists in more than one form. If we open our eyes we might find that the universe is abundant with life. (By life i DO NOT MEAN LITTLE GREEN MEN OR ADVANCED CIVILISATIONS OF ANY KIND although the posibility does exist but rather micro-organisms and simpler lifeforms)

Several other small life forms use arsenic to generate energy and facilitate growth. Chlorine and sulfur are also possible elemental replacements for carbon. Sulfur is capably of forming long-chain molecules like carbon. Some terrestrial bacteria have already been discovered to survive on sulfur rather than oxygen, by reducing sulfur to hydrogen sulfide.

such lifeforms would find earth to be a horrible place to live and we will not be able to survive in their environment either.

I think finding tangible proof of life outside will profoundly effect our lives on earth. Hopefully people will realise how small our world is.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Sorry the link was broken. Here is a working one
Link

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Good Thread

S & F

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well, I don't know about a neutron star. Hold your arms out as wide as you can and I bet you will about hit the diameter of a neutron star. Before a star becomes a neutron star there is a violent supernova involved.

A neutron star is a type of remnant that can result from the gravitational collapse of a massive star during a Type II, Type Ib or Type Ic supernova event. Such stars are composed almost entirely of neutrons, which are subatomic particles without electrical charge and roughly the same mass as protons. Neutron stars are very hot and are supported against further collapse because of the Pauli exclusion principle. This principle states that no two neutrons (or any other fermionic particle) can occupy the same place and quantum state simultaneously.

Source

Basically any life supporting planet (no matter the chemical makeup) would have to survive a supernova.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Not if the life developed after the supernova event. Not advanced nor intelligent, but simple life may be possible.. You know how plants photosynthesize? What if there could be silicon based life that used the x-rays emitted from a nearby neutron star/pulsar for its energy. Plants on earth use visible light, x-rays are the same as visible light only a different wavelength/frequency.. We are so naive, in reality we must accept the Fact that we just do not know.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjaba

I agree. When we think of life most of us think about the stuff we find on earth.
It can be something completely different. It could look like a little green man or maybe even look like a rock but still be alive.

It may be possible for some very strange yet extreme form of life to even survive inside a live star.........who knows?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
If something did survive on on the actual surface or interior of a sun, I would love to research the mechanics of that. Who knows though, I know that I don't.

Also, I was thinking about the whole Neutron star scenario. If a planet covered in water, or at least partially covered, were to form in a Nebula near a Neutron star, then how deep underwater would the x-rays actually penetrate? What if a planet with a very strong Magnetosphere and extremely deep oceans were to form near a neutron star(form after the supernova of course..)? I think it would be very possible for life to form in circumstances like that if you had hydrothermal vents or some other source of energy..

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Water might not even be necessary for life. they could thrive on ammonia. As for x rays and radiation they might even provide nourishment for some strange form of life.
It would be really cool if this were possible because it would open up whole new doors to what life is and how it exists.

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
» Science & Technology » Could Interstellar Dust Clouds or Neutron Stars Harbor Life?

i would suggest that interstellar clouds may contain the building-blocks of life. >amino acids> precursors of RNA > etc

take this other article: www.dailygalaxy.com...

from what i'm reading... my imagination tells me that the great abundance of metals that are out there in 'Inter-galactic' space
might just be the conductive substance needed to create an emmense 'neural connection' between the Galaxies--- a pseudo brain

~it would resemble the brains neurons & axioms connected by neural pathways...but on a cosmic scale~

response?

posted on Dec, 4 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Life on a neutron star? I give you, the cheela!

Writer Robert Forward described being inspired by astronomer Frank Drake's suggestion in 1973 that intelligent life could inhabit neutron stars.[5][6] Physical models in 1973 implied that Drake's creatures would be microscopic. By the time Forward was outlining the book, newer models indicated that the cheela would be about the size of sesame seeds.[2] Later Forward found an earlier letter in which he discussed the idea of high-gravity life in the Sun with science fiction novelist Hal Clement.[2]

en.wikipedia.org...

That would be Dr. Forward, not his son.

[edit on 12/4/2009 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 6 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
probably. i mean, i remember reading something recently that silicon based life forms would likely be possible. i think we are limiting ourselves by only looking for carbon based life forms

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That sounds like a really good book!
I'll have to find a copy of it

[edit on 30-12-2009 by Anjaba]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Anjaba

You mean something along this line?

Plasma is another state of matter in the majority, why not that kind of life? It would be better suited for neutron star existence. Ball lightning has some very curious properties.

Personally I believe life has evolved on Methuselah. It has been around so long the probability a chaotic permutation contained enough order to form a global "brain" which has been contemplating its own existence ere before our Sun was born.

Yep, you are correct, many possibilities exist before we entertain the notion of advanced cultures.

top topics

join