It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Churchs and money that goes to them!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I am still in the dark about why churchs dont pay taxes. If the government wants to tax the hell out of us, why do they spare the church from paying tax? Does religion not already make billions a year with there preaching that taxing them would be just a small incentive? and further more, how can people still afford to pay churchs every sunday with this recession constanly bombarding us?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
I am still in the dark about why churchs dont pay taxes. If the government wants to tax the hell out of us, why do they spare the church from paying tax? Does religion not already make billions a year with there preaching that taxing them would be just a small incentive? and further more, how can people still afford to pay churchs every sunday with this recession constanly bombarding us?

You don't muzzle the Ox that treads the corn.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Why do you care?

The government has taken trillions from taxpayers to give to people that don't contribute to society. They have stolen trillions to give it away to other countries and people around the world amongst the other things they do.
They are giving tax breaks to people who donate to campaigns, charities and special interests.

We've already got enough people taking our hard earned cash without our consent. We also have plenty of interests out there that get huge tax breaks. If individuals want to voluntarily donate to their churches, what's the harm?

Unless its the churches that you have issues with and not REALLY the taxes....

[edit on 23-11-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The recession is officially over- never even felt here. Not everyone lives in the rust belt or People's Republic of California.
There's also that little matter of the 1st Amendment, and religious freedom. How can religion be exercised freely if one has to pay the government to do so? They are also 501c not-for-proffit entities. Should all 501c organizations also be taxed?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well to be tax exempt means you have to have a tax id number which means you incorporated which means you are a business. Really sad as I do not see much that they do with their funds to help the poor . Especially now with the homes that are being lost and people are also loosing their jobs. They could at least open the doors as those pews could be a bed and the building would be shelter from the cold.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I don't know if that is true but I am sure if people in the Government wanted to start taxing churches, the religion's preachers would all be made aware and tell their followers to vote out the people who tried to impose the tax against their precious church.

Religion is above the government. It isnt even suppose to be in government, but it is. I bet half the lawmakers in the country are only in office becuase they say they are religious and get the mass religious vote. Which is orchestrated by the delusional preachers, who have such a following, that they can even get their worshipers to vote how they want.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
As long as all religious groups are not taxed-sikh temples, jewish temples etc..and charities aren't taxed then I do not see the problem. Though I'm ignorant as to if they are or are not.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Zerra]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rainallday

Actually they have 501c3 status-

link

I don't know where you live, buy the churches in DC feed, clothe and house most of the city's homeless.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The reason is simple. No politician has the cojones to introduce such a law, nor to vote for any such law. They know that they'll never be elected to office again.

Back in the day, religions actually helped the poor and needy. It was felt that because of this, they should not be taxed. They were doing good works. Those days are long gone. For every church that does good works, dozens are just hanging onto the money or doling a fraction of it out to a few people. But the old ways persist, and no politician is going to sacrifice his career to change them.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Theres got to be more then just tax exempt. Could it be that there is an even deeper conspiracy going on that both the government and religion are working together?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Who exactly are these special interests you speak of?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

Churches have pretty much always been tax-excempt in America- freedom to practice religion is kind of what our country was founded on.
LBJ is the one who gave them 501c3 status- in an effort to silence his biggest critics. Once they became not-for-profit entities, they were officially shut out of politics.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Could it be that there is an even deeper conspiracy going on that both the government and religion are working together?

Of course they are tax exempt, if governments had to pay for all the hard work, food supplies and care given to communities by volunteers of ALL churches the economies of the world would be in much worse shape than they are already!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

reply to post by badgerprints

Who exactly are these special interests you speak of?

Go to the IRS websites and look up tax deductible charities.

Plenty of deductions to go around.

Politicians probably get more tax deductible contributions than churches.

(actually, that might be a good number to look into.)

[edit on 24-11-2009 by badgerprints]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
How else could they afford to pay for the fetishes of so many of their employees? The cost of doing business isn't cheap!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

come to think of it, some little boys just don't come out of church the same as they came in.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This link has some great information on it relating to why churches don't pay taxes.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Well honestly what does it matter? You pay taxes so they should is that what leads to this idea that they should pay?
If you do not like the idea of the church not paying taxes then do not give money to them.

"...creates only a minimal and remote involvement between church and state and far less than taxation of churches. [An exemption] restricts the fiscal relationship between church and state, and tends to complement and reinforce the desired separation insulating each from the other." The Supreme Court also said that "the power to tax involves the power to destroy." Taxing churches breaks down the healthy separation of church and state and leads to the destruction of the free exercise of religion"
-Walz vs. Tax Commission of the City of New York

[edit on 24-11-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Great thread!

Religion takes so much money under false pretenses and they never seem to get anything done about anything - apart from taking money and getting people to believe in somebody(or thing) that doesn't exist!

You couldn't make it up!!!

Amazing.

The great, late, George Carlin had a few good words to say on this matter...

George Carlin on Youtube

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Why do you care?

Unless its the churches that you have issues with and not REALLY the taxes....

[edit on 23-11-2009 by badgerprints]

Amen! Hallelujia and you're GODD**** right brother badgerprints! These scam artists that masquerade as preachers of the faith piss me off righteously. Can I get an AMEN brothers and sisters? I am talking about these false preachers who accumulate worldy wealth by pimping the SON OF GOD like a common twenty dollar whore! GOD gave his word freely. What right do these scam artists,fornicators, and sodomites have to charge anyone for it? Who gave them the right to amass multi million dollar empires in the name of JESUS? Tithing? Did I hear somebody mention tithing? Tithing was a burnt offering given directly to GOD. It never greased the palm of the preacher man. Until Jesus was long dead and money grubbing preachers could not bear to see GOD getting all the vigorish. So they snatched it right out of GOD'S hands and put it into their own pockets. Remember that JESUS ran the money changers out of his FATHER'S temple. NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO EARN A LIVING ON THE BACK OF ALMIGHTY GOD!!

To close out our services this evening let us hold hands and say a short prayer. God Bless titties and beer. Amen and AMEN!

[edit on 12-17-2009 by groingrinder]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join