It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water possible cure for asthma and other diseases...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

No, what happens is that if you drink too much water you can cause an electrolyte imbalance and cause your heart to stop pumping. The heart is a muscle that runs off an electrical current, you can disrupt that current by throwing off the balance between the amount of water and the amount of salts in your system. Its kind of like getting a cramp in your cardiac muscle.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkice19
I have terrible sinus allergies. Had them all my life. My nose is always plugged up and swollen inside. Breathing is pretty much not happening. I had the sinus surgery once where they go in with the weedwacker and cut everything out. It was awesome. I could breath perfect. But it only lasted 6 months. Now I’m back to being plugged up.

Tell me about it. I've also suffered nasal allergies and asthma, mostly when i was a kid but i still get wheezy every now and again and reach for my xopenex inhaler. I had the septoplasty as well, if thats the "weedwacker" procedure youre talking about, lol. I can breath through my nose better, but i have a pretty bad sense of smell.

Back on point. I drink a couple quarts of water every day. Not the crap out of the sink that’s toxic. I have a 2 quart bottle and it gets filled every day and goes everywhere i do. By the end of the day its empty.
And i can honestly say it does nothing to help my allergies.

In response to this post, and the few others who were also stating water does nothing to help them, i would like to ask if you are making sure you are getting the right amount of salt with the water. Here's the breakdown of the measurements from the 2nd article i linked....

Drink 1/2 your body weight of water in ounces, daily. (150 lb = 75 oz = about 9 glasses of water daily. Your urine should be almost colorless. Drink the water ½ hour before a meal
Take 1/4 tsp. of sea salt for every quart of water you drink, preferably dissolved in a cup of water and taken all at once.
Avoid caffeinated or alcoholic drinks. They are diuretics and will need an additional 10 to 12 oz. of water for every 6 oz. of caffeinated or alcoholic drink.
Avoid excess potassium. Orange juice, bananas and “sports drinks”, especially before exercise, can precipitate an asthma attack

I believe the salt is an important part of the equation, we are made up of salt water. Salt causes us to retain our water, without it, water will leak out of us. If you're drinking 2 liters of water a day, but not getting adequate salt, you'll pee it all out before you're body has had a chance to distribute it to the organs that need it. I don't think the suggestion is to overdoes on salt though, just a 1/2 tsp a day dizzolved in water for those of us who drink 2 quarts of water a day. It requires daily consistency, i believe.

Originally posted by amatrine
Funny,. my doctor told me caffine will help stop an attack.

Stimulants do dilate the bronchial tubes. The reason it isn't recommeded in this program is because it's a diuretic and causes you to pee out all the water in your body. But, I don't think this water program calls for quitting caffeine altogether, just avoiding it if you're so inclined, or to drink extra water to compensate for it's diuretic action.

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by 27jd

No, what happens is that if you drink too much water you can cause an electrolyte imbalance and cause your heart to stop pumping. The heart is a muscle that runs off an electrical current, you can disrupt that current by throwing off the balance between the amount of water and the amount of salts in your system. Its kind of like getting a cramp in your cardiac muscle.

We're actually both correct, both the kidneys and the heart are affected by drinking too much water too fast. So is the brain. But this program doesn't call for anywhere near too much water, just the amount your body expels everyday through breathing, sweating, urine, etc., and spread out throughout the day.

I'm not trying to suggest people should discontinue their asthma meds or anything, just offering some info i found interesting. There is alot of conflicting information out there about being able to get adequate water through foods and other liquids, but the information this doctor is putting out there seems to be backed by understandable science that makes sense when you read it. If he was promoting a specific brand of water, or salt, etc. then i would be much more skeptical of the info, but he's not at all. I know that i've never really drank water alone, or paid any attention to my salt intake. I just assumed i was getting all the hydration i needed from other fluids because i wasn't thirsty. But reading the info on those articles, i've connected alot of dots, personally. I'm trying the suggestions on the article, because it's really not that hard and costs next to nothing. I'm on my 2nd day and my body feels alot more lubricated, lol, but it could be placebo effect or something.

Personally, i'm just hopeful that there are natural ways to improve our qualities of life, without relying on the big pharmaceutical companies to give us life, for a high price. Also, i worry about what would happen if there was a hiccup in society, and these meds were no longer available to us. Would we be able to provide food and protection for our families, or will we be crippled with breathing trouble? Salt and water are both readily available on this planet without big pharma.

I remember when i was a kid at school, if i had an attack i would go to the nurse, and she would have me sit down and drink a couple cups of warm water and i would feel a bit better, but she never did the pinch of salt thing. Obviously, waiting for water and salt to absorb isn't as acute or immediate a relief as a puff from the inhaler, i know how that blast of meds helps, but like i suggested before, if you're having milder symptoms, maybe give the 2 cups of water w/a pinch of salt thing a try, if after 15 minutes youre still wheezy, take the inhaler. At the very least, it may help cut down the frequency inhalers are needed.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
My diet is naturally high in salt. Might even be too high.

The best thing i found for my sinus problem was a Neti pot. But not just any neti pot. I went the cheep route. I took one of my kids sippy cups and cut a bigger hole in the rubber top. I also bought a huge pack of the salts they use. And i wash my nose out every night before i go to bed. Its hard to get started but once you get it down and do it every day its the greatest feeling in the world.
I use double the recomended amount of salt and water as hot as the tap will put out. And i can pretty much breath for a day. And if you have a sinus infection the neti pot will clear it out in Under a day.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I use double the recomended amount of salt and water as hot as the tap will put out. And i can pretty much breath for a day. And if you have a sinus infection the neti pot will clear it out in Under a day.

Well, that's good. To me, that's further evidence that salt water has healing power when it comes to breathing difficulties. A natural way to clear your nasal passages using water, salt, and heat. All things that are available without a prescription, and at this point anyway, no big corporation can corner the market on, and jack up the cost 30,000%. Also, things that would be available in the event people were somehow forced back to basics.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I've been reading about water fasting for about a week now, as i'm going to try it out next week.

Apparantly going on a water fast can help a whole host of medical issues, been some interesting reads but alot of back and forth, so my minds not made up yet.

I do find drinking water a chore though, I don't really like it and mainly just drink fanta zero or coke zero, so the fast will be tough

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by valiant
I've been reading about water fasting for about a week now, as i'm going to try it out next week.

If you do go through with it, let us know how it works out. Be careful though, some of those extreme diet changes could probably shock the system.

I do find drinking water a chore though, I don't really like it and mainly just drink fanta zero or coke zero, so the fast will be tough

I was the exact same way, other than when i worked out i didn't really drink water. The info in the article i linked says that other liquids aren't a good substitute for straight water. I've been making it a point to drink as close to the recommended amount as i can, and make sure i get enough salt.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I have terrible sinus allergies. Had them all my life. My nose is always plugged up and swollen inside. Breathing is pretty much not happening.....I drink a couple quarts of water every day....i can honestly say it does nothing to help my allergies. For a year and a half i did the allergy shots and it also did nothing. I think im paying for something in a past life.

DarkIce19, I had problems for a long time as you describe. For years, my doctor gave me bronchial dilators, medication, and told me to stay inside. Numerous, can't remember what they're called, the machines that give you oxygen? EKG's (just wasting my money!).
As years passed by, I never felt better. I even had rashes on my face, hips, legs, heck, every area. I stayed out of the sun for years, I never felt better. I was doing research a couple years ago on the internet one day, and for kicks and giggles (although more likely desperation), I looked into dairy and gluten intolerance. Shock. All my symptoms. I've stopped eating both (mostly, I am not always strong). I do not have problems...when I abstain from at least dairy. Did you know that 75% of people are lactose intolerant? This percentage is not perfect, but it's certainly an eye-opener for me. Maybe 10% are gluten intolerant
I have heard numerous stories of a lack of recognition by doctors of this situation.

en.wikipedia.org...

ezinearticles.com...

Water does help, in my experiences. Most of us are in a state of dehydration because we don't eat water based foods as much as we should. You just won't know how much until you find out what else is messing with your system.

I'm not saying this is your problem specifically, but it certainly cannot hurt to look into it.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

If you do go through with it, let us know how it works out. Be careful though, some of those extreme diet changes could probably shock the system.

I will, sure
i'm only doing a 3 day fast to start with, maybe extend to 5, depending on how i'm coping, so won't be expecting miracles, but apparantly, this is the best thing for new fasters to do, so who am I to argue with the guidelines

[edit on 28-11-2009 by valiant]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jane_within

I have terrible sinus allergies. Had them all my life. My nose is always plugged up and swollen inside. Breathing is pretty much not happening.....I drink a couple quarts of water every day....i can honestly say it does nothing to help my allergies. For a year and a half i did the allergy shots and it also did nothing. I think im paying for something in a past life.

DarkIce19, I had problems for a long time as you describe. For years, my doctor gave me bronchial dilators, medication, and told me to stay inside. Numerous, can't remember what they're called, the machines that give you oxygen? EKG's (just wasting my money!).
As years passed by, I never felt better. I even had rashes on my face, hips, legs, heck, every area. I stayed out of the sun for years, I never felt better. I was doing research a couple years ago on the internet one day, and for kicks and giggles (although more likely desperation), I looked into dairy and gluten intolerance. Shock. All my symptoms. I've stopped eating both (mostly, I am not always strong). I do not have problems...when I abstain from at least dairy. Did you know that 75% of people are lactose intolerant? This percentage is not perfect, but it's certainly an eye-opener for me. Maybe 10% are gluten intolerant
I have heard numerous stories of a lack of recognition by doctors of this situation.

en.wikipedia.org...

ezinearticles.com...

Water does help, in my experiences. Most of us are in a state of dehydration because we don't eat water based foods as much as we should. You just won't know how much until you find out what else is messing with your system.

I'm not saying this is your problem specifically, but it certainly cannot hurt to look into it.

I tried a dairy /gluten free diet as was reccomended by my doctor to see if that would help. I made it almost 6months with Zero dairy / gluten products. It still did nothing. I think my sinus's are overactive.
If anyone is going to try going dairy and gluten free good luck. Its the hardest thing in the world to do. You only get to eat 1/100 of the foods found in the grocery store. I still dont eat any processed foods though. Once you get past that crap you will feel healthier.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

Well i'm on my third day today, and I can tell you it is unbelievably hard

i've had headaches like crazy, and I rarely ever get a headache usually, feel a little weak/tired, and lost 4lbs in weight most of which will be water though.which is good for my diet. but i'm not much fussed about that, i'm doing it for health and spiritual reasons mostly.

The good things are, I feel like crap, but then great at the same time
it's a strange feeling, i've actually began to enjoy water
which i'm really pleased about, as the stuff I read about aspartame on here scares me.
My blood pressure went down, but apart from that, nothing else to report, but it was a three day fast so, wasn't expecting much, sorry

I'm gearing up to a 14 day fast, so this was a taster to see how i'd cope and i'm glad I did it, will be trying to consume alot more water in my diet from now on, I feel less hooked on coke zero

Sorry there was not much interesting to report

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Can't remember the last time i had a glass of water.
Scottish water supply doesn't have fluoride, they tried but failed. Still have chlorine and metals like aluminium. Lots of evidence to suggest it can cause alzheimers. I get my water from food and tea's. Bottled water is a complete rip off and i would never pay for it. Oh and the whole water fasting is nonsense imo, with a good diet etc your body does just fine in cleansing itself without any fasting fads involved. It can take care of itself if you take care of it.

[edit on 2-12-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Sorry there was not much interesting to report

Thanks for the update, glad to see you made it through.

Also, it's good you're drinking more water. Not sure i'd ever try fasting or anything, but thanks again for keeping us posted.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join