It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worst Black Friday Ever Coming this Week?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

That's what I was thinking. Everyone I knew at work and elsewhere were talking about how cheap LCD tv's were....but that's really it. It seemed like every store had a good deal on a big tv. Everyone I know has cut back at least as much or more as they did last year.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
You have to remember that a lot of people did not lose their job.
A lot of people have really good incomes.
Those people love to buy toys for themselves and their kids.
They'll shop like usual, or better.

But on the other hand, a lot of folks are just broke.

I personally think the stock market is headed down. This holiday shopping can't prop it up.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I wish I had seen this before I made my post. At the toy store the line was 5 times bigger than normal. No one was buying anything that wasn't a doorbuster and they were fighting over those.

I went to the local walmart today and saw they still had doorbuster items in bins that had not sold....so maybe it was just the toys for the kids.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoghead cheese
It's going to be a bad year this year.

Black Friday sales tick higher

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Sales on Black Friday, the traditional start of the holiday shopping season, were only slightly stronger this year compared with a year ago, according to a survey released by a research firm Saturday.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yes I thought they might be better. What do you do with money you have been saving up while in a recession when the .gov says the recession is over?

Spend, spend, spend as W told us to do. No real indication things are improving.

It will bolster the markets for a few weeks or so, but after the first quarter 2010 forget it.

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Sales data released today or the next few days is sketchy. I'm not giving it any weight.

One; it's too early to know what the numbers really are, it's all guesstimates.
Two; of the reports I've been reading many state that while shoppers did seem to be spending money on certain "door buster" are other "deal" items, once those items were sold out, the shoppers were done shopping and left.

It's possible (probable?) the spending isn't going to transcend to all retailers (the big winners were toys and electronics) and it's unknown whether the spending will continue through the holiday season.
My presumption; it was a splurge for the day and not likely to continue through the holidays. Time will tell and we'll know for sure in Jan.

ed: just because

[edit on 28-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I don't go to any malls or stores this time of year, all shopping i might do, is usually through the internet, mostly because I honestly hate most people.

I also remember years ago before I started working for myself, I worked retail, and the level of stupidity I saw in people was unbelievable...and it would only increase around Xmas.

[edit on 28-11-2009 by Gren]

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I do not know if anyone went over it, no matter what the real sales figures, it will be rosy as hell from the MSM.

Just like all the other lies the MSM have been spreading all year on the state of our economy.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

Even though a large portion of the population will continue to spend, the 10-50% who will spend less will make all the difference. 10% will spend litle or nothing because they are out of work. Another 10% or so will spend less because they are not quite sure if they will keep their job. Another 20-30% will spend less because they still have a job, but are making less than they used to.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Quoting the headline from our Saturday morning newspaper:

Shoppers out in Droves!

Town is bustling with them, and I am one of them. I am not giving 'the economy' my opportunity to share my good fortune this year with my family, I could save some money, for the 'future', but what the hell, I am here today, and I wanna live, I wanna shop, I wanna buy crap for my family and watch them ooo and ahhh and be happy they got something from their auntie, and there are no promises I will even be here tomorrow, let alone when I am 60 or when ever it is that I will need my savings to live on. I bet if I am good to my family now, my savings won't matter when I am old or sick, the family will take care of me! Jeezzz, live people, recognize what is really important! I am not saying that shopping is the essence of life, I am saying that you cannot live your life afraid of what tommorrow will bring you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join