It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I don't get about Jesus

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree
reply to post by randyvs

Unfortunately stuff like that happens, but it's a clear refute to "blind faith". The love is still there even though you can't show it to them.

I have a reason for believing my dad loved me, just as I have a reason for believing my Father loves me.

Your lucky the lord loves you so much. a shame he doesn't love those 20k babies starving and dying torturous deaths everyday..

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

What do you think "death" means to God? Surely you can answer this...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Good post, maybe if you read some of the surviving non canonical gospels, and look at Jesus as a metaphor you will get some personal answers about him. Personally I don't believe that Jesus ever existed in the flesh, there is just no proof for it.

I believe that Jesus was the Jewish counterpart to many other popular Godmen at the time. Looking at other mythical religious beliefs from surrounding areas you can see the many common threads.

That is not to take away from the message however. I believe the story of Jesus took many people away from the violent, hateful God of the Old Testament and put them on a more peaceful path. Too bad the Romans had to bastardize the message and turn it into the vile thing that took humanity into the dark ages.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by LiquidLight

I think when he said he was the son of God he was talking about everyone being children of God, then after he died everyone added supernatural embellishments to make him seem more like the Savior so everyone would convert. He was just an ordinary man who happened to be very very wise. Remember how he taught them to pray "Our Father" again reinforcing that we are all son's and daughters of God --- my interpretation is that Jesus wanted you to save yourself and stop waiting around for a Messiah that would never show up. But that idea goes over everyone's head because of the whole Solar Deity Resurrection thing.

The whole reason for wanting to be like Christ is so you can become your own Savior, that's what Communion is about too, it's sending the message that "the Savior is within". I think its been woefully misinterpreted. Stop waiting around for magical sky beings and help yourselves...

[edit on 24-11-2009 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Let me phone the Vatican and ask them directly...

-dang got the answering service. Something about them being busy shuffling pedophiles around and I would have to call back tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

Stop waiting around for magical sky beings and help yourselves...

You mean face reality? Are you insane!!?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable

Let me phone the Vatican and ask them directly...

-dang got the answering service. Something about them being busy shuffling pedophiles around and I would have to call back tomorrow.

Absolutely irrelevant post that does nothing to add to your statements. In fact, it detracts from them.

Why dodge the question when you could just reply "Honestly, I don't know..."?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

You are more stuck in your ways than I. You are the one refusing to listen, not I. You are the one saying it is futile.

Keep hope. Keep peace.

Respectfully,
Agree2Disagree

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

You are more stuck in your ways than I. You are the one refusing to listen, not I. You are the one saying it is futile.

Keep hope. Keep peace.

Respectfully,
Agree2Disagree

I'm very open minded, I just consider religious to be basically insane and subhuman. Happy to discuss countless topics all day long with rational minds.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   

It's okay, I understand. I run into that a lot really. Not many people understand the ways, often times the religious don't even know what they're saying. It takes patience and diligence, which most don't possess.

A2D

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
What I don't get about Jesus is why people believed him when he said he was the son of God.

What proof do we have, besides his own word, that he is the son of God?

Why do so many people take this at face value without any proof whatsoever?

Here is an answer no one has suggested. People talk about God, The Father, and Jesus, The Son, but no one mentions the Holy Spirit and what role he plays in all this.

The is THE definitive answer to your question.

The Holy Spirit cannot lie, and will not contradict The Bible, and his job is to make known all truth.

The Holy Spirit was the same in the Old Testament and the New Testament.

Aside from the fulfilled prophesies which the Jewish people knew about concerning Jesus's coming and his birth, there is the account of John The Baptist. John the Baptist was the forerunner of Jesus.. in other words he was the person sent to proclaim the coming of Jesus by the The Holy Spirit, so men who were looking for the Messiah would know and recognize His coming.

Like Jesus, everything about John The Baptist life was prophesied in the Old testament. So when John came preaching and teaching the Christ was coming men knew why he was there and what he was doing. John The Baptist was filled with the Holy Spirit from birth, to do this job of proclaiming the Christ. John taught that Jesus would bring the world to salvation through Jesus by doing 2 things. These are 1, Repent. and 2, be baptized for the remission (forgivness) of their sins.

At the end of each of the 4 Gospels Jesus tells his disciples to go to all the world and bring people to salvation. He taught them to have people convert to this new testament ( covenant with God through Jesus'd dying on the cross) by doing the exact 2 things John The Baptist taught. Repent and by Baptized for the remission of their sins. We know the disciples did exactly this because everywhere in the Bible the disciples converted people to Christians they Had to Do Both of these things.. without exception.

Now, The bible say to "test the Spirits by the Spirits" and that "Jesus's words are spirit an they are life." So if you converted to Christianity and live by Jesus words, then you too would be filled with the Holy Spirit, and this Holy Spirit in you would lead to all truth and show each person personally the glory an power of Christ in their lives.

This is why People believed that Jesus was the Son of God aside from him just saying so. The Jews who accepted him knew all about these prophecies of John the Baptist and Jesus and they knew the Holy Spirit within them to confirm it also further.

Sorry this is long, but you did ask.. I answered the best I could according to what we know of the historical record and what the people believed.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Reasonable

Why not answer you? Because it is pointless to argue with a 'believer' even more so about imaginary crap. Your aim is to enter into an exchange that you'll find reaffirming of your faith and enlightening while I'd find it batsh^t crazy. Best to ignore me and get back to basking in your Jesus faced euphoria. I'm not dodging you, making fun of lunacy is probably a more realistic assessment

If it is pointless why are you even posting, if you admit you can't do it intelligently?

[edit on 24-11-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

often times the religious don't even know what they're saying.

A2D

That's one thing we can agree on..

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Oh, trust me, that is most definitely a two way street. Neither the religious, or those who aren't, rarely have any idea or concept of God that is even remotely accurate.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

I'm just wondering.. what do you think about my answer to the question?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I think you're pretty much as close as anybody here is going to get.

There is just a slight bit more to add to it, IMO, but I think that's a very reasonable statement without getting too in depth.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   

I agree with Titen-Sxull above:

If we propose that there is a god (no matter when considering god to be the universe itself, or a personified creator character), everyone are 'children of god', meaning that we all are creations of it.

Couldn't we accept that Joe the Unknown ape is as much creation of 'god' as anything else. What isn't?

While not claiming anything, isn't there a possibility that 'walking upon the waters' is a metaphor, meaning that one don't get drowned on the temptations of world? See for example the alchemistic conceptions of 'waters', meaning that water is not the element itself (h20), but meaning rather the fluctuating tendencies of human psychology.

-v

[edit on 24-11-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I've just never seen good evidence to suggest that Jesus was the son of God.

Probably because there isn't any, neither is there any good evidence that the guy in the sky was a real character, well no more nor less than batman or Jilk king of the fairy folk.

Palestine was awash with Messiahs and jesus' around the time so the guy in the gospels was not unique and it would appear that there were desperate attempts to make this character a god.

If he was real in any way, the scriptures themselves make it clear that he was no more or less a son of the "father" than you or I.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by v01i0

While not claiming anything, isn't there a possibility that 'walking upon the waters' is a metaphor, meaning that one don't get drowned on the temptations of world? See for example the alchemistic conceptions of 'waters', meaning that water is not the element itself (h20), but meaning rather the fluctuating tendencies of human psychology.

-v

[edit on 24-11-2009 by v01i0]

Not a metaphor. There are historical documents, not the bible, from historians of the time period that recorded that many of Jesus miracles really did happen.. It was reported unbiasedly just like a newsman reports the news. It wasn't just the Christians who knew these miracles happened, it was reported through the then whole known world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join