It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What I don't get about Jesus

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
What I don't get about Jesus is why people believed him when he said he was the son of God. Let's say for a minute that he did heal the sick, walk on water, and come back from the dead. In today's world, someone like that would most likely be called a demon. What proof do we have, besides his own word, that he is the son of God?

This, of course, assumes the whole thing isn't a story made up by some Jewish guys trying to undermine the authority of the Roman Empire. I'm really at a loss here. Why do so many people take this at face value without any proof whatsoever?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Interesting question.

What proof would be acceptable? In the days of Jesus or today, no one would believe the proof anyway.

It's called faith.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Perhaps some people are just different in that regard, then. I don't believe in faith without proof. In the same way that trust has to be earned, so does faith, in my view.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidLight

You have to remember that Judea was under Roman rule at the time, and the people of the land were looking for a Messiah to rise up and free them.

At first, the disciples and followers of Jesus assumed he was the Messiah predicted in the Old Testament, a King of the Jews who would lead them to victory over the Romans.

But Jesus had other ideas!

Even though his followers believed he WAS the Messiah, he wasn't the messiah in the sense they thought he would be, he was to be their spiritual Messiah, rather than a King to repel the Romans.

That's my take on it anywhooo!

[edit on 23-11-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

So you're saying that Old Testament scripture is the proof for his divinity? Couldn't it be that he was able to manipulate the people because of their beliefs?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
Let's say for a minute that he did heal the sick, walk on water, and come back from the dead. In today's world, someone like that would most likely be called a demon.

Well, I personally don't think a demon would heal the sick, walk on water, resurrect, and among other things, say "love thy neighbor". "A good tree bears good fruit."

On another note, I'd rather say Son of Man than Son of God. I'm pretty fascinated with The Book of Enoch and why it was rejected but I think it points to Jesus as more of an angel selected by God to come to earth rather than the actual Son of God. We're all sons of God, IMO.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I feel Jesus simply spoke the truth and was not implying that he was the only son of god ...he simply understood he was a part of the whole .....as we are all the sons and daughters of god ......" I am all that I am "

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

Let's say for a minute that he did heal the sick, walk on water, and come back from the dead. In today's world, someone like that would most likely be called a demon.

Well, I personally don't think a demon would heal the sick, walk on water, resurrect, and among other things, say "love thy neighbor". "A good tree bears good fruit."

Good point, but what if all of that were simply a means to an end; i.e. getting people to worship someone besides/in addition to God. If you've watched the series V, you'd understand... The aliens preach peace and heal the sick, but their ultimate goal is nefarious.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

What I don't get about Jesus is why people believed him when he said he was the son of God. Let's say for a minute that he did heal the sick, walk on water, and come back from the dead. In today's world, someone like that would most likely be called a demon. What proof do we have, besides his own word, that he is the son of God?

In his own day many thought he was a demon/Blasphemer

I think that's why they call it
"Faith"

[edit on 23-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
When folks are raised to believe that nonacceptance in a certain messiah, or religion, ect, will sentence them to a place described as that of hell for eternity, they will believe anything that they are told. Some are just interested in the promise of heaven, while others actually look for answers and break free from the mold.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Interesting question.

What proof would be acceptable? In the days of Jesus or today, no one would believe the proof anyway.

It's called faith.

This in my opinion sums it up in a nutshell.
Although it is to simple for the scientific Drwinian mind.
Yet in the end that is all there is when you depart
and leave your offspring.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
You should read the ''Conversation with God'' books you will learn a lot starting with that.

And then, first i don't think that Jesus did something that basically can prove that he was a Demon too.. All i heard is that he was good with peoples and tell everyones too love each others, don't harm everybody etc, etc.

And in fact he tried to tell everybody that everyone on this earth was the son of god, he tried to be the eyes opener like many others before him, after him, and it still goes on today. He just realize it in some way and since he was able too use his spiritual energy more than the normal dude well he performed some crazy tricks with deaf people or sick peoples just to show the power of love and how peoples can use the energy of the soul to heal and use the elements around you. maybe some things were exaggerated with the time since its been 2000 years of telephone effect that's been going on...

sorry maybe its badly explained but thinking that Jesus or everybody on earth that helped heal the sick and fix the deaf is pretty wierd.

And i dont think that demons exists... Why would God create such a bad beeing?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million
This in my opinion sums it up in a nutshell.
Although it is to simple for the scientific Drwinian mind.
Yet in the end that is all there is when you depart
and leave your offspring.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in life after death. I believe there is good evidence for it (evidence for reincarnation, NDE's, etc.), I've just never seen good evidence to suggest that Jesus was the son of God.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nazo102

Oh, I completely agree with the message. Love towards your fellow man and all that good stuff. It's the divinity of the messenger that bothers me.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If you really think about it, everything is based on faith to some extent ...

What do you REALLY know as fact? I mean real facts, not what you read in books written buy others... not what you see on TV or what people tell you... But things you have researched and studied from scratch!!!

Even the greatest minds on earth base their theories and ideas on the back of work done by others before them.

People can sometimes be a little arrogant in the way they talk about their beliefs (Religious and non-religious alike)

I am a Christian and have often been mocked by non believers for simply hearing that I am religious.

"How can you believe all that junk" they say "you might as well believe in the tooth fairy"

They say it with such confidence that you would think they had existed since the dawn of time and witnessed the whole creation of the universe... When in reality they are simply choosing to believe a collection of second hand theories, which they don’t truly understand, from scientist they have never met.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Muckster]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
1. He fulfilled the prophecies in the Old Testament regarding the Messiah.
2. He raised from the dead.
3. His followers who knew Him said He was, and died to prove it.
4. 500 others were also resurrected from the dead on the same day as His resurrection.
5. He said He was.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Agreed. Belief is a personal choice, and I would never mock anyone's religion. This thread is about my own personal search for the truth, and trying to understand the reasoning behind certain beliefs.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pplrnuts
When folks are raised to believe that nonacceptance in a certain messiah, or religion, ect, will sentence them to a place described as that of hell for eternity, they will believe anything that they are told. Some are just interested in the promise of heaven, while others actually look for answers and break free from the mold.

Ok fair enough. But consider this--- You get upset with your school of sardines. So you go looking for a better school.
Do you know marine biology enough to finish my story?
Maybe getting eaten by a grouper is a little like hell for a sardine.
Schools and flocks are created over millennia for the common good.
Can you site the successes of the black sheep?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
1. He fulfilled the prophecies in the Old Testament regarding the Messiah.
2. He raised from the dead.
3. His followers who knew Him said He was, and died to prove it.
4. 500 others were also resurrected from the dead on the same day as His resurrection.
5. He said He was.

But what makes you certain it wasn't all a sham?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
One reason Jesus had a hard time getting through to people was because the current belief was that Solomon was the son of god and that Solomon was the fulfillment of the Messiah.

Jesus always referred to himself as the son of man.

And as stated above, it was always pointed out that fruits, or deeds and actions, are the true test of a person's heart.

Actions don't lie; words do.Therein lies the conflict many humans have.
If someone beats you and then says "I am only doing this because I love you," what will you believe?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join