It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arrests are being made 'to expand DNA files'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
This is a report from the reputable UK paper The Times.

Arrests are being made 'to expand DNA files'

Police are routinely arresting people simply to record their DNA profiles on the national database, according to a report published today.

It also states that three quarters of young black men are on the database. The finding risks stigmatising a whole section of society, the equality watchdog has warned.

The revelations will fuel the debate about the DNA database, the world’s largest. They are included in a report by the Human Genetics Commission, an independent government advisory body. It criticises the piecemeal development of the database and questions how effective it is in helping the police to investigate and solve crimes.

We all suspected this was the case, but now this reports seems to confirm it.

People are being arrested for the most ridiculous crimes. innocuous situations that once would have led to a telling off or a warning are now dealt with as if the very security of the country is at stake!

Man arrested over wi-fi 'theft'

Blind man arrested for protesting about illegal parking

Just a couple of examples of heavy handed Police responses, resulting in an arrest and DNA sample.

And if you thought that the DNA of innocent people was likely to be destroyed.....

Police to continue to hold DNA of innocent people (Wednesday 11 November 2009)

Chief constables are to carry on refusing requests to delete the DNA profiles of arrested people released without charge, while a fresh political battle is waged over how long the details should remain on the database.

Home Office ministers confirmed they want to see the DNA profiles of innocent people kept on the national database for six years, after failing to persuade parliament to back a longer period of up to 12 years for the most serious offences.

Police State??? I think we're in something far worse than that!!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Yeah i have heard about this. People getting arrested for the most petty things and told they wold be let go shold they give up a DNA sample.
I see this working out two ways.
1. They just start solving cold cases off of new DNA
2. With more people added to the DNA data-bases the chance of having people that share matching DNA becomes greater and would be enough have people using that as a defense. When you start seeing more and more matches the DNA evidence will become less and less credible.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Yeah i have heard about this. People getting arrested for the most petty things and told they wold be let go shold they give up a DNA sample.
I see this working out two ways.
1. They just start solving cold cases off of new DNA
2. With more people added to the DNA data-bases the chance of having people that share matching DNA becomes greater and would be enough have people using that as a defense. When you start seeing more and more matches the DNA evidence will become less and less credible.

Yes, there is an argument for increasing the DNA database to solve more crimes.

For instance if I commit a crime and leave a sample, I could be tracked from a sample my brother gave when arrested for littering! (hypothetical, I have no brother!)

But I'm firmly of the belief that this is a distant secondary reason behind just wanting us all on a database eventually, what for? God only knows!

All the best, Kiwifoot!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

Just gonna get this on the front page for UK members to see, posted it quite late last night!

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Story also covered by News.com.au:
Arrests made just to get DNA samples

This article speaks for itself. It seems British law enforcement officers are arresting people just for the sake of obtaining more DNA samples from the general population. How this type of behaviour can be allowed and accepted in a Western nation is rather frightening. How on Earth can police get away with this?

One can see the benefits of having a comprehensive DNA database, but this is taking it way too far. It is basically mandatory fingerprinting. Jaywalking, spitting your gum on the road and swearing in public might result in your DNA profile being uploaded to a centralised network. Considering the number of CCTV cameras and now this, Britain seems ever-closer to establishing an official Police State.

People in Britain need to make LOTS of noise over this. If you sit back and allow this form of mandatory fingerprinting to proceed, what will happen in the future?

[edit on 24/11/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I completely agree with you. The problem is what to do?

I think I'm going to write to mu MP (fat lot of good it will do but it's a start!).

They will disguise this as a crack down on crime and the general public will buy it hook line and sinker!

As usual!

Kiwifoot

top topics

join