It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collider smashes its first atoms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Two circulating beams have produced the first particle collisions in the world's biggest atom smasher, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), three days after it was restarted, scientists say. The European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN) says two beams circulating simultaneously led to collisions at least four times during the afternoon and evening.

Well, despite all the Doom Sayers it looks like the LHC has successfully fired and smashed its first atom without creating a black hole and sucking us all into the doom!

But I am sure more pseudo-theories of doom will continue to come out by those that simply do not understand.

Source: www.abc.net.au...

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm not sure I fully understand the doom-sayers either, but I do kow the differance between a test collision at low speed and a full speed no holds bar collision. That full speed collision isn't planned for several months. Collisions at the speed that they are planning have never been produced intentionally by humans on this planet that we know of.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
doublety-post

[edit on 11-23-2009 by rogerstigers]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
DO you guys know how fast they are planning to smash the atoms concerning their speeds. Personally as a scientist I do not believe one can derive any higgs boson without smashing about 3 solar masses at once, in that case you are in trouble. Sorry guys but that is just my common sense talkin there and I would be amazed if that barrier could ever be cheated, even by a little bit, and smashing two atoms even at almost light speed, could never even be a little bit.

So I say let them smash all the atoms they want they aren't gonna hurt the world but maybe discover some really cool new elements. Logic also tells me they would start to discover elements that are almost pure neutrons and one with pure neutrons before the higgs would even appear.

Until the next episode,
Angel One

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Why do they wanna smash atoms anyway? i eman everytig herein this planet is suposed to be accoutnable for, makes everything what it is( destroying pieces of the nuclei that makes everything what it is, atoms* to me, thats like literally and physically removing forever, that much less of everything as we know it*
i find this scientific test of thier, mindless and pointless. they dont even know whats it gunna go, possibly jeopardizing our world, NO lets turn it on! even if we scientists get sucked in a black hole we did it for the better in the name of science!
something tells me , these people have never gone on a vacation, and instead fo using a camera, jsut loked and abosrd whta life and people have to iffer. these peioope are like skynet from terminator* just a prgram that got smarter..heartless, thoughtles it just does, what it was told*

posted on Nov, 28 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Well if I recall correctly, one of their missions was to discover the Higgs Boson because it is has been theorized that it is what gives mass to objects. There were other objectives, but I don't remember all of them.
Hope that answers your question, Ziggy.

top topics

join