It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reply to ability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Is there button that pulls up a list of in thread replies directed at me?

It seems like it would be a very beneficial ability and help facilitate communication.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Nice idea.

Would make some threads easier.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

How would the system know a response is directed at your post? Do you mean if someone hit the "reply to" button?

If so, you could search by "post by VonDoomen" in the google serch button above but I'm pretty sure there is no button to do what you are asking.

Some boards have an email feature that you will get an email when someone posts to a thread you have posted in but that is way too cumbersome.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I just think there should be a button in your public profile

[threads] [posts] [replies]

and it would bring up a list of link to people that use the "reply to" button.

it should be very easy to implement.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
in my profile there is a reply count, I don't know if that are replies to me or my own replies.

but I don't think the tptb at ATS would implement the function you would like since it is rather bandwith consuming for the server(s)

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I dont see why they wouldnt. If anything Its going to give them more traffic, and like I said, Its going to make communication with each other inthread so much easier. if we're going 99% of the way, we might as well go 100%.

this literally is the only complaint I have about this site. The rest is all designed very well.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I agree, I like to read what people have to say or if anyone has input about my comments, or replies to what I have said! it is kinda hard to find when you are looking over long threads. great idea!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
One problem would be that people would stop reading the entire thread and focus more on their specific replies. It would also create a lot of similar posts since skipping ahead to a "reply" post might eliminate whatever was inbetween.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It would not work

Sometimes people do not hit the reply button to respond to you. Sometimes they hit quote. Sometimes they completely forget to hit either button and maybe type the code out themselves.

Ive also seen people make a post with response to many people at once.
They will type something like:

@VonDoomen: [response here]
@lpowell0627: [response here]
@Grey Magic: [response here]

So there would be many ways you would miss someone responding to you, by not just reading the thread
And why would you want to miss what others have to say - even if it is not directed at you? You will miss out on many many good responses

Welcome to ATS

[edit on November 23rd 2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
and yes some people may not use the reply button,, but many other people do.

and why would It stop people from reading the entire threads?

If anything, its going to heighten the user experience.

and on top of that, if it was implemented im sure more people would use the reply to or quote function.

and yes I agree that the quote function should be accounted in this too.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

thank you for starting this thread! I don't think the Mods will implement your idea, but I would welcome it! It is far too hard to go through 20, 30 or even hundreds of pages of comments to find your and then find out if your comment was replied to. I don't post much, but when I do I'd like to know if i'm being replied to.

new topics

top topics

join