It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raining Polar Bears SHOCK AD. (Warning: Graphic Content.)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
*****WARNING******

Do not click this ad if you are in the least bit squeamish. Fair warning!

This type of campaign is something I've come to expect from the PETA crowd.

(EDIT FOR CLARITY: I am drawing a comparison to what I believe are similar PETA tactics. I am NOT asserting they are associated with the production of this video. Some people seem confused by what I have written. This should make it clearer.
)

In my opinion, it more than just crosses the line. What are these people thinking?

I'm certain that for every 'cross-over' vote of support they get with an ad like this, they lose an equal number (or more) who get they are being emotionally bullied.

Is this type of campaign ad acceptable to you?

[edit on 23-11-2009 by loam]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I had to stop watching after a few seconds. These guys have a point but I do not abide their tactics. What a terrible Ad and for someone to be against cruelty to animals I am amazed that they could stomach the creation of such.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
How many other companies advertise through fear and disgust? Why should peta be any different? Whether you agree or not it drives the point home with images that cause a response. Just to be clear I have no love for peta. Is this add acceptable to me? Sure. Do I like it? No.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ummm...just a clarification, this has nothing to do with PETA.

Not that I'm a supporter of theirs, just that we should keep the facts straight instead of knee-jerk reacting.

This is a radical group out of England.

www.planestupid.com...

Your flight has an impact. Plane Stupid's new cinema ad, written and commissioned by creative agency Mother and made by production company Rattling Stick. Director Daniel Kleinman.

Plane Stupid is a network of grassroots groups that take non violent direct action against aviation expansion.

We have three demands:

* End to short haul flights and airport expansion
* Stop aviation advertising
* A just transition to sustainable jobs and transport

We came together in 2005 to oppose an aviation industry conference and have been taking action ever since. So far we’ve occupied Stansted, East Midlands, and Aberdeen airports; shut down easyJet and BAA’s headquarters; stopped private jets at Biggin Hill, London City and Edinburgh airports; sat atop the House of Commons and the Scottish Parliament; supported the Camp for Climate Action at Heathrow; worked with local residents to defend their homes from the bulldozers; exposed a corporate spy and chucked green custard over Peter Mandelson.

We organise horizontally, by consensus and without leaders. We have groups in London, Glasgow, Brighton, Manchester, Southampton, Leeds, Edinburgh and Cambridge. We also have a sister organisation, Plane Mad, in Ireland.

Plane Stupid... in more ways than one.

I wonder where they got the funding for this campaign?

[edit on 23 Nov 09 by Gools]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I couldn't even hit play, just the frozen shot of their corpses was bad enough for me.

I can barely watch the human society commercials where they show all the abandoned, starving and abused pets.

The only ads peta ever did that were decent were the "I'd rather go naked then wear fur" ads.

edit, I see the mod note, planestupid, I haven't heard of this one before.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Seiko]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Doesn't bother me at all.

What bothers me is commercials from Shell where the CEO or whoever is standing in a big green meadow and cuddling ducks and telling the world how wonderful burning pits of petroleum are for the environment. 'Cause see... he's cuddling a duck, it has to be true!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bigern

It's a trend I do not like.

To be clear, I'm not advocating any law or prohibition on such things...

I think I'm about as anti-pollution or anti-waste as they come, BUT shock ads like this tend to produce a backlash that ultimately hurts the cause they claim to support.

"PlaneSTUPID" is right, imo.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Originally posted by Gools
Ummm...just a clarification, this has nothing to do with PETA.

Not that I'm a supporter of theirs, just that we should keep the facts straight instead of knee jerk reacting.

So there is no confusion, I was drawing a comparison, not saying PETA was responsible.

I wonder where they got the funding for this campaign?

Excellent question!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The video was interesting.

The advocates could have gotten their point across with less shock and gore.
From a business stand point in my field. Not bad CGI work.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Not bad CGI work.

This is your field?
How much do you think that ad cost them?

Seems to me like a fringe group - but a well funded one.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Bad, bad ad. Does not really get their point across. So the weight of the polar bear is the main issue? So that means for each passenger the weight of greenhouse gases equals a billion skittles?, a couple million cupcakes?

I know they are trying to equate greenhouse gases to the declining polar bear numbers but come on. They make it seem like those number of polar beaars are dying for each flight.

Could have been much better thought out.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
When these people create an alternative energy source that does not produce emissions ill start listing to them, stating that airplanes are bad for the environment is an obvious fact, but what do they want 60% of the population to do about it? Stop flying? Its the only mode of intercontinental travel we have, besides boats. Instead of spending the money on some stupid add that offends members of PETA, invest it into an engine that runs on water.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
The advocates could have gotten their point across with less shock and gore.

I'm not sure about that. I would not bother to go to www.planestupid.com if the video was of less visceral nature. It was hard to watch because I've seen human beings dying this way. Still probably worth it -- how many people realize that air transport doesn't scale very well?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Seems to me like a fringe group - but a well funded one.

I'm still looking, but this is what I found:

Fines for Plane Stupid protestors

Five climate change protestors have been found guilty of trespassing on parliament.

Leo Murray, Alexander Richard George, Graham Thompson, Tamsin Omond and Olivia Chessell were found guilty after a trial at City of Westminster magistrates court.

Omand, 23, of Belsize Square, was given a conditional discharge for 12 months and fined £150.

Murray, 32, of Westcroft Square; George, 28, of Ridgeway, Wimbledon; Thompson, 35, of Northfield Rd; and Chessell, 20, of Emmanuel Rd, Cambridge, were fined £150 each and ordered to pay £200 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

Alexander George is the one the domain name of their website is registered to.

They seem awfully junior to have meaningful resources.

I'll keep looking....

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with it. They have achieved what they set out to do; get people talking.

It didn't shock me, its not real is it? Nope.

See worse on the news. Except that is real humans.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kellter

I know they are trying to equate greenhouse gases to the declining polar bear numbers but come on.

Thing is the polar bears are doing just fine. Their numbers are actually increasing.

PETA and the people who did that ad... are just total idiots

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

How much do you think that ad cost them?

Not much really.

Remember the first year of the TV show Babylon5 the Graphics guys lied to the producer about being a much larger outfit than just two guys working on a couple of older PCs.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't get it, what is so shocking and revolting about it? It's CGI, that's all. Violence in movies doesn't shock me, violence in the news turns my stomach upside down. I can never watch videos in which real animals get tortured, but this? Not real.

They're using shocking images just to get their message across. When Hollywood is using far more violence just to sell movies, is that better?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
This should give you a feel for the group:

Plane Stupid Takes over Awards Ceremony in Protest

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I find that more disturbing too. I've never seen that commercial, but i can imagine, and i can also imagine people going "awww, that's so cute". We live in a world where shape and image are more important than content and actions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join