It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Special Form of Disrespect

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

A Special Form of Disrespect

Barack Obama’s increasing disregard for Britain’s views is no way to treat an ally whose troops have fought side by side with America since September 11, says Con Coughlin.

It says much about Britain’s rapidly disappearing ‘special relationship’ with America that when I happened to mention to some of our senior military officers that I was visiting Washington, they begged me to find out what the Obama administration was thinking about Afghanistan. It is not just that the transatlantic lines of communication, so strong just a few years ago, have fallen into disuse. There is now a feeling that, even if we reached the Oval Office, there would be no one willing to take Britain’s call.

Spectator

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I thought this was a very interesting perspective and maybe worthy of discussion.

Considering that Britain is probably the US's most loyal ally, whose military is almost joined at the hip with that of it's transatlantic friend, having backed the US internationally and shed blood in Afghanistan, Iraq (twice), it is alarming to read how much political relationships have deteriorated.

I'd also be interested to hear the American point of view. Do you consider Britain to be an ally worthy of better treatment than we're receiving? Should we be more involved in the decision making process, or at least consulted?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

As an American G.B is not an Ally, it is a Cousin, a Brother. This administration is alienating are two most powerful family members, G.B and Israel. We are alienating them for who? The French? The Germans? Russia? If the 20th Century as taught us a lesson is this America and G.B are joined at the hip we go where they go and vice/versa. But to continue to disrespect them is totally stupid and will end in disaster. Who will be there for us in the future? The other mentioned nations? I doubt they would soon see America fall then to lend us a hand.

This administration needs to wise up and stop alienating our cousins.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by poedxsoldiervet]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Oh no man, its not big deal. Obama gave Brown some sweet DVDs. Its all good in the hood.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattpryor
I thought this was a very interesting perspective and maybe worthy of discussion.

Considering that Britain is probably the US's most loyal ally, whose military is almost joined at the hip with that of it's transatlantic friend, having backed the US internationally and shed blood in Afghanistan, Iraq (twice), it is alarming to read how much political relationships have deteriorated.

I'd also be interested to hear the American point of view. Do you consider Britain to be an ally worthy of better treatment than we're receiving? Should we be more involved in the decision making process, or at least consulted?

Hello Matt, I'm an American. I really don't know what that means anymore. I don't feel like I belong to any country honestly. Partially due to the fact that leaders don't act on our behalf anymore and with nobody making a case for you, you feel kind of forgotten, like you belong no where.

Is this a growing sentiment in Brittan (local to you) apart from the article you listed?

Brittan owns THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA Corporation anyway. Our ties will never be bad. It would be like a kid talking back to their MUM. In this case it's the Queen Mum.

Anyway, nice to meet you Matt, I'm Aaron. I don't care what the leaders say, we can always still have a chat. It's our communication that matters more anyway friend. Let them play there games. We the citizens will take it upon ourselves to communicate with one another to be informed.

Peace to you

Peace

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I consider Britain to be our ally. Unfortunately, we have a marxist in the White House who seems to think otherwise.

The best thing any of our great allies in Europe could do for America now is have their security services release to the public everything they know about Obama. If ever we needed their help, we need it now. I fear our republic will not survive 4 years with a traitor in the White House.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I can't exactly say I am surprised by this, Brown et al. are not particularly liked in the UK let alone on the world stage.

But then again I personally do not see the UK ever being on Obama's Christmas list either, which is probably not a bad thing
Tho I am sure France and Germany will be much better friends to Obama

Even if the special relationship stops between us and the US, it'll always exist between the people... Given the rows here on ATS between us I can't see that friendship ending any time soon

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

I agree with this

From an outside perspective it seems that the Obama administration is falling over itself to mollify America's enemies (Venezuela, Iran, Russia, China to name but a few) whilst disregarding and doing lasting damage to countries that have traditionally been loyal to America, and support America's core values of freedom and democracy.

In my opinion the Western alliance has to stay strong, and keeping old friends should take priority over making new ones. I'm not sure the political elite in Washington shares this view.

I worry about what state the world will be in by the end of this President's term.

posted on Dec, 15 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
America and Britain-same sh-t different smell.

[edit on 15-12-2009 by randomname]

new topics

top topics

join