It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian troops using hard drugs in Afghanistan, Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Australian troops using hard drugs in Afghanistan, Iraq

www.news.com.au

DIGGERS are using coc aine, heroin and other hard drugs while on tours of duty in Afghanistan and are returning home as addicts.

figures reveal hundreds of soldiers, sailors and airmen have tested positive to a string of illegal drugs since troops were sent to Afghanistan and Iraq.

soldiers were mainly developing addictions to coc aine, a drug which is "as cheap as chips" in Afghanistan

Soldiers (are) going over there, from NSW, healthy and normal, and coming back with all kinds of addic
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Jarrett said it was likely the soldiers were sourcing the drugs from foreign troops, particularly American forces, who serve alongside them in joint-operations fighting the Taliban.

What kind of war is this? Even worse than Vietnam
Heroin addicts under the influence operationg automatic weapons in a country where they shouldn't be in in the first place?

U.S. troops selling drugs to the aussies as well as other troops.

All soldiers almost under the influence of Prozac, Zoloft or clonazepam and other anti-depressants. All these drugs man, wow.

Imagine how Australia will be when these people go back home.

US army 'dramatically' underreporting suicides

"I see the ugly," Luther told IPS. "I see soldiers beating their wives and trying to kill themselves all the time, and most folks don't want to look at this, including the military."

www.ipsnews.net...

AND

A sizable and growing number of U.S. combat troops are taking daily doses of antidepressants, according to a June, 2008 report in Time Magazine. The psychiatric drugs prescribed to soldiers are known to have side effects that include violence and suicide.

According to the army, in 2007 17% of combat troops in Afghanistan were taking prescription antidepressants or sleeping pills. In the past year one-third of marines in combat zones were taking psychiatric drugs. The army confirms that since 2002 the number of suicide attempts has increased six-fold. And more than 128 soldiers killed themselves last year.
www.bignews.biz...

This is becoming a very weird war, of course similar things happened during vietnam, but it seems to be skyrocketing now.

I guess addicts are easier to control!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I am surpised that this is a surprise,
Way back when I went round Africa, we were offered all sorts of drugs. We were just ordinary tourists - not under any battle stress or anything - but still, a lot of people experimented.
I imagine a blind eye is turned in many cases...

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Nothing new in war... Vietnam springs to mind, both world wars crystal meth was common (yes they had that then! - just watched a docco on the stuff and it's way more than 100 years old - Hitler was said to be an addict)...

It's a shame but it's true, I doubt there has ever been a war where some sort of drug abuse was present- even encouraged... How do you think the Japanese got young men to go on suicide missions or never surrender (till they did of course)?? Crystal meth mostly! It really makes you insane...

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
That what happens when your troops are rejects from school, men with no education and no honor who believe that the army will pay there way through life.

These same useless troops are the ones who complain about war...then why join? A free ride? Grow up!!!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well in Vietnam there where problems with Heroin but the biggest drug used then was from a "Local Plant" that just happens to be very popular.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis
That what happens when your troops are rejects from school, men with no education and no honor who believe that the army will pay there way through life.

These same useless troops are the ones who complain about war...then why join? A free ride? Grow up!!!!!

I bet things start to change when bullets start flying by their ears! You would almost expect them to have some sort of awakening in that moment.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Crystal meth was definitely around but it was hardly "common" among troops. Yes things went on during WWII that we are only starting to realize......it wasn't the gung ho squeaky clean war we've all been led to believe but It's pretty ignorant to say US troops were heavy into crystal meth.

Moreover, I posted this subject a few weeks ago and everyone assured me that US troops are heavily tested. And many of these were ex military or current military. LOL. What a load of BS! US troops are becoming druggies over there along with their foreign counterparts. But can you blame them? Seeing your buddy get his head blown off? I mean my god. These wars are a complete and utter disaster.

I remember all these pathetic people whining and crying over Ted Kennedy's death. When was the last time a Kenned served on the front lines. War is............when rich white men send America's sons and daughters to fight an unnecessary war for riches.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
but It's pretty ignorant to say US troops were heavy into crystal meth.

Re read my post - I didn't single out American troops! - Actually is was prevalent among the Japanese who had invented it specifically for that purpose many years earlier... It was an almost forgotten drug until the war kicked off...

Oh and lookey what a simple Google search turned up

Second World War One of the earliest uses of methamphetamine was during World War II when it was used by various[which?] Allied and Axis forces.[8] The German military dispensed it under the trade name Pervitin. It was widely distributed across rank and division, from elite forces to tank crews and aircraft personnel, with many millions of tablets being distributed throughout the war. [9] From 1942 until his death in 1945, Adolf Hitler may have been given intravenous injections of methamphetamine by his personal physician Theodor Morell. It is possible that it was used to treat Hitler's speculated Parkinson's disease, or that his Parkinson-like symptoms that developed from 1940 onwards resulted from using methamphetamine.[10]
Link

Who's ignorant now

And just to avoid confusion...

Nicknames for methamphetamine are numerous and vary significantly from region to region. Some common nicknames for methamphetamine include "ice"[4][5], "crystal", "meth", "crystal meth", "crank", "glass", "speed" (United States and Canada), "shabu" or "syabu" (Japan and Philippines), "tik" (South Africa)[6], and "ya ba" (Thailand).[

[edit on 23/11/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
COCAINE IS A HELL OF A DRUG.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This IS Vietnam. Has no one noticed the correlation between western wars and countries that are heavy in drug production? Generally poppies.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
This IS Vietnam. Has no one noticed the correlation between western wars and countries that are heavy in drug production? Generally poppies.

to be honest, right now every country is heavy on drug production

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This is been a consequence of war and violence from basically the beginning of war and violence.

Alexander's troops were chewing on Opium Leaves to dull the pain and fatique of long marches and minor wounds, that they found in the very same hills of Afghanistan that thanks to the World Wide War on Terror are once more flooding the world's streets with Afghani Heroine reputed to be far more potent than anything coming out of Asia, Columbia or Mexico!

Most of today's synthetic pain killers like Oxy Codone, Methadone and other forms of synthetic Heroin were first invented and developed by Nazi Germany and Bayer (The original inventor & manufacturer of Heroin itself) to give German Army troops an added edge on the Russian front where some doses lastet up to 36 hours in which a soldier could fight without food or rest and maintain a euphoric state of mind the whole time.

It might even be well argued that many of the inhumane atrocities committed in combat are a result of soldiers whose perspective and humanity have been compromised by mind and concious altering narcotics.

For some reason Drugs and War go together, is it any wonder that the forerunner to the War on Terror an ill-defined vague war with few discernable goals was the War on Drugs that is equally vague and defined?

Our governments have been exploiting us at great profit to the Military and Security and Prison Industrial Complex and of our own rights, liberty and security and happiness to fight against things that seem part of the human condition from the beginning of time...violence for a political purpose and mind altering substances for any purpose.

In other words they just exploit us to fight for the sake of fighting!

Is it any wonder in a world gone mad with lust and violence that people would look for something, anything to escape reality?

The great conspiracy seems to be, in a world of black and white, up and down, left and right, where it is always a two sided coin of two polar opposites that thanks to religion which is a huge part of the war on terror (all religions not just Islam) that if by religious definition we are not in Heaven then we can only by opposite extension already be residing in hell.

A hell full of violence, drugs, inhumanity and ever conceivable torture and crime known to human kind.

We really need to wake up to the reality of our situation here on this planet and change it while there is still a planet left to change the reality of!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

to be honest, right now every country is heavy on drug production

Very true, however, there are certain areas that are much more abundant in poppies, or cacao, etc. And those just happen to be the countries we have been at odds with from 40 years.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy.

I remember all these pathetic people whining and crying over Ted Kennedy's death. When was the last time a Kenned served on the front lines. War is............when rich white men send America's sons and daughters to fight an unnecessary war for riches.

Have you forgotten about this Kennedy?

www.youtube.com...

I do agree about old white men sending our youth to war for greed and profits.

topic...I wonder how many US Afgan vets are returning all strung out?

[edit on 25-11-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomis_Nexis

Geez, what a lame post. You still believing that tripe? No education and no honor? Sorry, Craftsman, but I've seen more of both (especially honor) in the military than in the civilian world by far.

Drug abuse? Yep, it happens. I do find it funny that they were quick to blame US troops for it, tho.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
When you visit the lovely Mediteranean seaside towns in Croatia you see strung out vets from their War of Independence in the 90s that were pumped full of smack to be able to fight frontline, it was standard issue from superiors.

Afghanistan is just such a cock-up on so many levels, it still produces 95% of the worlds opium, and with all those multinational troops there, are they there to harvest for the CIA or what? Its a well known conspiracy that this industry helps fund the CIA.

How can over 1 billion from trafficikiing revenue be generated for AlQeida and the Taliban with such a enourmous occupying force?
Because the minister for Narcostics (brother of the president) is as a corrupt gazzilionaire, as is the Pakistani counterpart that allows the supply through the border.

Our Diggers getting hooked is no shock, what they see there is nothing they can be prepared for through training, not to mention accessibilty to product. I would be suprised if coalition forces protected shipments un knowingly by some troops. very sad that the individual soldier is abused and manipulated in so many ways over there
They were told they were fighting for their country, but that reason dissapeared a long time ago.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It's a load of hypocritical nonsense, solders are prescribed and even just given by superiors many kinds of pharmaceuticals, quite a few are stronger than illegal drugs or taken in such huge quantities produce the same effect. It's always been that way, I was talking to a friend who was out in Iraq last year - he was given amphetamines/stimulants while on an extended duty to keep him alert.

Now, I have full faith that most of these drugs, illegal or otherwise do provide benefits to soldiers and are safe as long as use is kept in relative moderation (just like anything in this world). To me the biggest conspiracy here is that the only reason certain things are now illegal is to fund military black ops, the CIA are making a killing from solders killing in Afghanistan. Just think of all that cheap, easily available and controlled opium, hmm...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The only thing worthy of note here is that STILL people are suprised about this stuff. What did you think was going to happen people ? You get a bunch of guys who see blood and death in thier lives, a bunch of dudes in the location who can sell them "oblivion" or some release from reality , and you expect these people not to take them up on it ? Are you serious?
I dont care what you do about this , I dont mind what you say about it , but dont you dare be suprised that troops are getting high of the fat of the land . Theres no point . Either your collective shock is a result of ignorance, or you just havent got a clue what sort of mental stresses can be caused by any form of military action.

top topics

join