It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For all of you who suffer from mental illnesses (anxiety&depression etc.)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
If you're just having one of those days ("Somebodies got a case of the Mundaysss!) or if you have an actual depression condition/anxiety disorder let's here about it in this thread, this should help tone down the amount of depressed threads and keep them all in one place. So post away.

I will start. I have been very depressed lately, but I was in between medications for my bipolar since I happened to see two doctors which gave me different bipolar meds, and I got confused on what to do so I just stopped taking them all together for a little while. My feelings of no self worth, and my lack of motivation all hit me again recently, but the last few (like 3 literally) days I have felt much better - and that's ever since I filled my scripts. I'm now on a new medication for sleep (I'm an insomniac) which helps greatly, and I also had my bipolar medication dose doubled (hope it helps, we'll have to wait and see).

*Edit* - Just wanted to add in here, that what I had said below was posted a while ago on another thread. To give you all an update on myself, I am doing very well right now. I just had my spiritual awakening, which has basically gotten rid of a lot of my OCD problems with my thought process, which in turn got rid of almost all (if not all) of my anxiety (which is a HUGE issue in my life...or was!). However, I am also on the right medications now for my bipolar as well, and they're doing a great job for me as well. Maybe one day I'll be able to quit taking them, but for now, the best thing for me mentally is to stick with what I got... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Here are some websites to help those suffering from depression and anxiety. I sincerely hope these links help some people as there is a plethora of information posted in this thread.

Please read if you are feeling suicidal or call a doctor right away! - Suicidal Thoughts/Information Thread

Useful links thread for BL - Click here

Depression Chat And Forums - A very warm and helpful place where they are trying to help the community, give it a look.

Depression Information/Guides/Links
Basic depression info - www.depression.com...
American Psychological Association - www.apa.org...
Teen Depression Information - www.teendepression.org...
All about Depression (includes myths as well) - www.allaboutdepression.com...
Bluelight thread about psychotic disorders - www.bluelight.ru...
More Depression Info - depression.emedtv.com...
Childhood Depression - depression.emedtv.com...
Teen Depression Info - depression.emedtv.com...
Suicidal Thread on Bluelight - www.bluelight.ru...
Learning about depression - www.pristiq.com...
Clinical Depression Information - www.clinical-depression.co.uk...
Peer support, forums and chat rooms - www.depression-understood.org...
Depression websites - www.helpself.com...
Anxiety and Depression Info - www.findingdulcinea.com...
Learn and Understand Depression - www.depression-helper.com...
Step by step info on depression and different kinds - www.health.com...
Depression Guide - www.wingofmadness.com...
Depression websites/links - www.healthcentral.com...
Depression Guide and other useful links - www.selfgrowth.com...
Getting Treatment - www.associatedcontent.com...
Bipolar home page - www.bipolar.com...
Depression FAQ - www.mcmanweb.com...
Another FAQ - www.psychologyinfo.com...
Another FAQ - paranormal.se...
Depression Info - www.aplaceofhope.com...
Symptoms of Depression - www.hopefordepression.com...
What causes depression - organizedwisdom.com...
epression_101/Depression_Causes
Depression Warning Signs - www.webmd.com...

[B]How to find the right doctor[/B]
Includes an awesome FAQ as well on finding docs - www.findapsychologist.org...
Tips for finding a psychologist/therapist - www.iampanicked.com...
Finding a psychologist/What to expect - www.mamashealth.com...
How to find a psychologist (very good website) - www.ehow.com...
Q&A How to find the right therapist - counsellingresource.com...

[B]Psychiatrist/Doctor Search Links[/B]
Psychiatrist Search for US - www.healthgrades.com...
Search for any type of doc (including Psych’s and Counselors) US only - therapists.psychologytoday.com...
Search for A psychologist in your area using your zip code - locator.apa.org...
Find a therapist by zip code - www.goodtherapy.org...
Therapist locater for US, CA, and overseas - www.therapistlocator.net...
Search for a doctor for just about anything you need, includes searching by your insurance - directory.realmentalhealth.com...
Therapist search - www.mentalhelp.net...
Another Therapist search - www.find-a-psychologist.com...

[edit on 23-11-2009 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Locating a Mental Health Facility (helpful links)
Search by state, very good search tool - mentalhealth.samhsa.gov...
A very well put together site, search for everything and anything you need - www.dbsalliance.org...
Facilities based on substance abuse however still helpful for mental health - dasis3.samhsa.gov...
Inpatient treatment search - www.minnesotahelp.info...
Mental Health Clinics and Counselors Directory Search - www.mental-health-directory.info...

Mental Health Information Links
A very amazing website filled with a ton of information - www.mental-health-matters.com...
National Mental Health Information Center - mentalhealth.samhsa.gov...
Everything you need to know about mental health (includes FAQ) - mentalhealth.samhsa.gov...
Mental Illness Information (tons of info, great support website) - www.mayoclinic.com...
Addiction to anxiety, from depression to schizophrenia and everything between - www.mentalhelp.net...

[B]Anxiety Links[/B]
Very good anxiety website lots of information - www.anxietycentre.com...
Anxiety FAQ - www.panic-attacks.co.uk...
Another Anxiety FAQ - www.npadnews.com...
How to get help - www.nimh.nih.gov...
Everything from anxiety to addiction - www.milestonesranch.com...
Anxiety Disorders Info - www.nimh.nih.gov...
Educate yourself on anxiety here - www.conqueranxiety.com...
Everything you need to know about anxiety - mentalhealth.samhsa.gov...
Anxiety info from news to meds - www.healthcentral.com...
Different Anxiety Disorder Info - www.effexorxr.com... =click
Self-Help Strategies for Anxiety Relief - www.helpguide.org...
Anxiety Definitions, Support and Help Index - www.anxietynetwork.com...
Introduction to Anxiety Disorders - www.mentalhelp.net...
Panic Disorder - panicdisorder.about.com...
Anxiety Explanations and Info - www.apahelpcenter.org...
Free Anxiety Cures and Self Help Treatment - www.anxietymadewell.com...

VIDEO ON OCD - CHECK IT OUT

OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Links (OCD is a type of anxiety disorder)
7 pages about OCD everything you need to know very informative - /l7v7hp
OCD Basics - www.epigee.org...
Symptoms, Causes, Complications etc... - www.mayoclinic.com...
Lots of OCD Info - emedicine.medscape.com...
Anxiety Disorders - www.surgeongeneral.gov...
Self Help, What is OCD with tons of info - www.anxietybc.com...
Treatment of OCD - www.psychguides.com...
Clinical Review on OCD - www.bmj.com...
Treatment of OCD - www.surgeongeneral.gov...
Support groups, treatment and much more - www.ocfoundation.org...

Panic Disorder
Panic disorder info and treatment - www.nimh.nih.gov...
Answers to questions about panic disorder - www.apa.org...
Lots of information pertaining to panic disorder - www.nlm.nih.gov...
If you're just having one of those days ("Somebodies got a case of the Mundaysss!) or if
Panic Attacks and Panic Disorder Info - www.mayoclinic.com...
Resource site for Panic Attack Info - www.anxietypanic.com...
Panic Disorder Info Sheet - www.psychnet-uk.com...
Panic Attacks, Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia - familydoctor.org...

When it comes to depression and medicating it wisely, it all comes down to what type of depression you have, and what your body will react too. Since we have no idea how a certain person will react to a medication, it usually takes a long time to find the right one because you go through a lot of trial and error before finding that perfect med and dosage. I myself have been on at least 20 different medications and I'm still not even happy yet completely with how my medications work for me. It also has a lot to do with your doctor so good luck on finding the right one for you - doctors are a dime a dozen but good doctors are hard to come by.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Medication Information Links (PM me to add yours if it's not on here)
Abilify www.abilify.com...
Cymbalta www.cymbalta.com...
Xanax www.xanax.com...
Buspar www.buspar.com...
Prozac www.prozac.com...
Desyre www.healthcentral.com...
Elavil www.healthcentral.com...
Pamelor www.healthsquare.com...
Remeron www.rxlist.com...
Paxil www.paxilcr.com...
Lexapro www.lexapro.com...
Tofaranil www.healthcentral.com...
Seroquel www.seroquelxr.com...
5-HTPdepression.about.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> [depression.about.com...
Depakote www.drugs.com...
Lithium www.lithium.com...
Effexor www.effexorxr.com...
Zoloft www.zoloft.com...
Zyprexa www.zyprexa.com...
Risperdal www.rxlist.com...
Celexa www.celexa.com...
Luvox www.luvoxcr.com...
Visaril www.healthcentral.com...
Wellbutrin www.biovail.com...

Depression Statistics Links
Awesome Depression Statistic Website - www.wrongdiagnosis.com...
Depression Fact Sheet - www.upliftprogram.com...
Depression Facts and Information - www.indepression.com...
Statistics on Depression - www.dbsalliance.org...
Facts on Depression Statistics in Teenage, Adolescent, Elderly - www.depression-guide.com...
More Depression Stats - www.depressionhelpspot.com...
Teen Suicide Statistics - www.teendepression.org...
Stats on Adolescent Depression - www.about-teen-depression.com...
Suicide Statistics - www.allaboutdepression.com...
Lots of different kinds of Depression Statistics - depression.emedtv.com...

Anxiety Statistics Links
Anxiety Disorder Statistics (good website) - www.conqueranxiety.com...
Another great anxiety statistic website - www.anxietycentre.com...
Stats on Anxiety - www.healthcentral.com...
Prevelance statistics about Anxiety Disorders - www.wrongdiagnosis.com...
Anxiety Stats, Signs and Symptoms - content.nhiondemand.com...

Hope this helps some people... I think I finally got everything (all the links and such) fixed. Will check back later to see what I missed.

-highlyoriginal

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
wow, this is one thread which you have put a whole lot of work into. Pity you coulnd't come to any conclusions or personal advice, But you definitely get a star and flag for all your hard work.

I myself suffer from anxiety and depression, and know that this monster is real and not just a figment of peoples imaginations (As I ignorantly believed in the past)

The first step in winning a battle, is getting to know your enemy. There is a wealth of info here and would surely keep me busy for quite some time. But promise to be back once I have gone through it all!

Thanks again!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
***fixing stuff up

second line

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by corvin77

Thanks, and I will add my personal experiences in these areas in a bit, I just have to finish editing the links, and I need some sleep so... later

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Ptfff i find this quite insulting. I suffer from depression and I know whats causing it and none of the links is going to help. There are many people out there who suffer froim depression and none of the antidepressants work because it isnt chemistry thats causing the problem.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Most people suffer with either light or heavy depression.

I find exercise is very good for me, and if i feel really down on any day, i use songs i like that are uplifting and focus yourself within, to bring up your spiritual energies.

No matter how bad any of our lifes are, we must of had at least one good moment, mine mainly has to do with watching sports, and if it gives you a lift i find this helps alot.

Being depressed is just something spiritual, as today we are all mostly empty of anything uplifting to our inner selves, most people are just searching for material lifts, which like mcdonalds food, only fills you for a while, and does not really stop your hunger.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

You are quite right about the medication. Although, just like a person can become addicted to a drug like heroin, crack, coc aine....etc, a person is also capable of becoming addicted to the chemicals in their brain which cause depression. This is why most people get stuck in a rut, and the depression becomes more severe.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I found this interesting, something to try for all of us bipolar people around here:

www.truehealth.org...

Hope you're ok with me adding this OP, I don't want to hijack the thread but I thought I could add something of value.

S+F!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
Ptfff i find this quite insulting. I suffer from depression and I know whats causing it and none of the links is going to help.

How do you know that none of the links provided are going to help you? I have bipolar, OCD, ADD, GAD, and insomnia. Do you know how I feel today?

AMAZING!

Why? Because of 2, yes count them, 2 reasons.

Reason 1) Finally found the right medications

Reason 2) I'm spiritually awake now, which has led to me to have basically NO OCD, and NO anxiety since it was all my thought process.

I am not going to sit here and preach medications medications medications!!!

However, some people cannot help their brain chemistry. You can be as 'awake' as you possibly can, but that doesn't mean you can cure depression/anxiety issues for all people. So don't tell me you find this thread insulting, you should realize some people may see this and think it's a good thread with a lot of interesting information. Even if you don't believe in using medications (or whatever reason you are 'insulted') you can still appreciate the time put into the thread, and the information at hand.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

IF you read my post again you will find that I said that not all depressions are a chemical imbalance in the brain...Some suffer from depression because they feel things are out of their control and feel useless. In this case medications are not the answer.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Thanks for this....as a Bipolar rapid cycler I appreciate the information. The clinic is doing its best but it still trial and error at the moment. Currently on Epilim mood stabiliser, which sometimes helps.....my downs are way worser than my ups, but both are extremely tiring.
thanks again.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I would like to emphasize the idea of seeking professional help.

Such a social stigma surrounds things like medication and therapy, but the honest truth is that both are VERY common, and can be extremely helpful and successful.

If you are considering talking to someone, don't be scared! They are obligated by law to be COMPLETELY confidential, and sometimes it is absolutely wonderful just to have someone to talk to, someone who won't judge, won't be emotionally affected or a part of any personal trauma that you make be going through.

So, just remember, if something was wrong with your heart, you'd go talk to a cardiologist, so if something is troubling your thoughts, go talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist!!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

reply to post by highlyoriginal

IF you read my post again you will find that I said that not all depressions are a chemical imbalance in the brain...Some suffer from depression because they feel things are out of their control and feel useless. In this case medications are not the answer.

Wouldn't that be easier getting to terms with though?
At least it's not absolutely impossible to fix, you're not born predestined to be depressed for the majority of your life like if you inherited it.

I feel as though depressed people want to "own" being depressed, they want to have it the worst so they can feel bad for themselves.. me too.
I used to think this was a "license for self pity" if you know what I mean?

Like I had a personal claim to feeling bad, I had a right saying f*** the world, screw this and screw that whilst other peoples problems were just "fake" and somehow not as real..
They couldn't understand the pain, and it's probably true, ordinary people probably don't know what this pain is like.

But my thinking was flawed, I realized that it wasn't helping at all, it was clear it was only making it worse.
So now I'm trying to reprogram my brain into positive thinking, it will not be easy, I don't even know if it'll work but I'll sure as hell give it my best.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Ptfff i find this quite insulting. I suffer from depression and I know whats causing it and none of the links is going to help. There are many people out there who suffer froim depression and none of the antidepressants work because it isnt chemistry thats causing the problem.

So what do you think is causing yours? Medication can be very effective for some, not so much others.

I have found the answer to my depression (which I no longer have) which in my case was caused by a slight stroke and years of concurrent pain (horrible headaches).

The greatest help for all that I have come to know is thew only answer down here is to turn your life completely over to the one who created you-->GOD.

He can and will give you happiness in the midst of the hardest times in your life. You must understand that this short life can't last forever, but your soul or as I like to call it your other identity, does live forever after we pass.

Once you understand that this life is nothing more than a test of your eternal soul you will immediately be released from the burden of sickness, pain, regret, emotional disturbance, and all other ills that trouble the physical body.

Because this body is made to slowly weaken and die, it becomes a burden to many, who live only for this life. But what if your depression is caused in great part because you have been rejecting the belief in God and belief that we all have an eternal consciousness that will live on after death.

Please consider this as I have come to know Christ personally and He has helped me immensely. Not only with physical pain, but the mental as well.

Once you see that all that has happened in your life can be changed by the simple act of belief in Jesus Christ and the knowledge that in the life to come you will have a perfect spiritual body that is immune to pain, and disfigurement, and the emotional pain caused by others, you will suddenly feel so much better.

Why not try Christ? Ask yourself, these questions, Has anything else brought relief? Have the medicines brought total relief? Could you be wrong about what this life is really about?

You can fight for your beliefs in misery or try the relief I have found that has worked 100% completely for me. So much so, that I no longer need anti depressants, and have been off them for over 10 years.

Follow this link to the simple answer...JESUS CHRIST THE HEALER OF BROKEN MINDS, BROKEN BODIES, & BROKEN HEARTS.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I was told I was bi-polar manic depressive years ago and I was put on seroquel. It helped but I gained 30lbs, and going from 100 to 130 when I am only 5'2" was not cool for me, it depressed me even more. It also messed with my kidneys and vision. I stopped it and found natural remedies. I havent had an episode in years. I use valerian root for insomnia but I cant take too much because again it messes with my stomach. I am not a fan of prescription meds so I went on a hunt to find natural remedies and they work.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have borderline personality disorder. theres not a pill to fix your personality unfortunately. we tried several medications, antidepressants, anti-anxiety meds, and anti psychotics...the pills just made everything worse. i've been in an outpatient therapy program now for almost a year. I do group therapy, DBT or dialectical behaviour therapy. I love therapy. I cannot say enough good things about my therapy program. i have learned so much about myself and how to control my emotional responses, i've learned skills for effective communications, and skills for distress tolerance. its great. i personally think that everyone could benefit from the lessons i've learned in my therapy...not just mentally ill people.

the cause of my illness is pretty much completely based on environmental factors. not a chemical imbalance. its hard sometimes, because i wish that i could just simply take a pill and feel better. therapy is a lot of work...but its the most rewarding thing i've ever done in my whole life. completely worth all the effort i have put in

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ishmaael

I went to many doctors and I felt like they didnt give a crap. All they wanted to do was medicate me. I argued with one doctor who just wanted to shove various harmful drugs down my throat that made me a zombie. I am happy with my remedy and I wont spend another dime on a "professional" again. If it works for some great but for me I felt they just didnt care and all they wanted was their 150 bucks and that was it.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ishmaael
I would like to emphasize the idea of seeking professional help.

Such a social stigma surrounds things like medication and therapy, but the honest truth is that both are VERY common, and can be extremely helpful and successful.

If you are considering talking to someone, don't be scared! They are obligated by law to be COMPLETELY confidential, and sometimes it is absolutely wonderful just to have someone to talk to, someone who won't judge, won't be emotionally affected or a part of any personal trauma that you make be going through.

So, just remember, if something was wrong with your heart, you'd go talk to a cardiologist, so if something is troubling your thoughts, go talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist!!

I cannot agree more! its really scary to try and get professional help at the beginning. i felt anxious and overwhelmed. but it was the best choice i could ever have made. i needed help, and Im glad that i sought it when i did.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join