It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica Melting FASTER!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by prof-rabbit

This isn't the exact source that I quoted in my previous post, but this is something that sorta hits on what I'm saying.

www.sciencedirect.com...

I'm guessing that link didn't work.
I have never figured out how to shorten up links.

Anyhow, the gist of it is that weathering of rock is the major contributor to atmospheric CO2 presence. Things like jungle canopy actually sheild against this and tend to cool the area underneath the canopy while accelerating growth elsewhere...

We should be much more concerned with deforestization than we are taxing people for their car mufflers.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
But you see, the crazy thing is that even though deforestization is creating warming in more specific locales (those being outside of the tropcial deforestization zones) it is being offset by melting of ice at the caps.

Man is not able to influence the homeostasis that is planet earth.

Yes, we need to change some things... but what we need to change is our greed.
Otherwise, yes weather will get weird and ice will melt... but it won't destroy us.

What will destroy us is the greed of the politicians that think they can tax us for every problem they create.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
They say, there is always two sides to a story.

But after spending years and years observing the lies and misdirection in mainstream, and also in underground circles, I can safely maintain that there is always more than just 2 sides to a story.

Anyways, if we take mainstreams creation of the Global warming story as one side, then the following link provides the other side to that story.

www.youtube.com...

p.s. I still feel there is atleast one more side to this story.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by ThoughtFood]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm sure that my link didn't take you to the article I had pulled up. Even though it was at the site I posted.
I can't figure out how to shorten a link so that a specific sub-route of the site will code into what is acceptable here on this site...

So here is the snippet...

"Over time periods of 106 years and longer, atmospheric carbon dioxide content is largely controlled by a balance between silicate rock weathering and CO2 sources (degassing from the Earth plus net organic carbon oxidation). Vegetation cover can affect silicate rock weathering rates by increasing soil CO2 content, stabilizing soil cover, and producing organic acids. Forests absorb more solar radiation than most other ecosystems; this tends to warm Earth's climate, especially outside of the tropics; this warmth would tend to increase silicate rock weathering rates. Here, we develop preliminary parameterizations of this effect that could be incorporated into carbonate–silicate cycle models, based on the results of general circulation model simulations."

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
La La La, there are a ton of pictures that show the ice melting everywhere its a no brainer... wait till the 5 tibetan glaciers go and drought, famine and death follow

I've said it before... what if melting is happening because of the way the screwed up magnetosphere is discharging (ha ha we can probably blame man for that one! thanks harp, thanks rockets and satellites, thanks pollution and chemtrails...) and the rapid melt is causing a cooling air (la la la nothing like using melting ice for air con)... i vote for sun and core as cause in relation to galactic cycle storm as shown by the antarctic ice core data

and there are some cool maps out there of what it looks like if antarctica melts...
europe mostly under water, eastern us seaboard, soaked. mostly all major sea side urban areas swamped... washed clean

hey no one talks about how the urban sea areas are all on estuaries and have wiped out the fish nurseries that once thrived there with toxins and that plus over fishing equals dead ocean and 70+% of the worlds pop lives along the ocean... dead ocean = dead earth

ocean which is now being diluted with cool clear water... ocean and its corresponding electrical currents will change i.e. magnetic poles (nothing like salt versus fresh water and a move in polarity)

with in the next

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by 10001011

What symptoms? The ice melts every year at Antarctica, when it is summer down here.....every year, without fail! I see nothing different than last year, & twenty years ago, & longer......

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpinifexPrincess
reply to post by 10001011

What symptoms? The ice melts every year at Antarctica, when it is summer down here.....every year, without fail! I see nothing different than last year, & twenty years ago, & longer......

maybe, go interview some far north native americans they will tell you that things are not normal and not the same as twenty years ago, interview native fishermen on the indian ocean, they will tell you that things are not normal... talk to someone in ireland or england or south am. that was just hit with with massive odd rain and devastating flooding or someone in mumbai last summer when the high tide was 15feet too high, or katrina, or that mega tsunami... its all connected

and the navajo have a story an old one that i read in an old navajo community college text book 15 years ago called 'sacred ways of living', that at the end of the world the 'twins leave their poles' and the world shakes...

better hope and pray its really not melting
or maybe pray it is? the navajo say greed ends the world and
the new world is fresh and good for awhile...

this world is so filled with greed and deceit
that the truth can only be suspect
and the lie is so often presented
with respect
that it is impossible to discern one
from the other

[edit on 23-11-2009 by DChenO]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
So the Far Northern Indians are living right down SOUTH at Antarctica, are they?!!!

....oops, sorry! I thought they lived up NORTH!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Since government throws grants around, why assume scientists don't exaggerate their findings to get funding? There is such a thing a greed for government funding.

I suggest seeing how scientists are countering the exaggerations on climate science on sites like wattsupwiththat and climate audit.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

So the Far Northern Indians are living right down SOUTH at Antarctica, are they?!!!

....oops, sorry! I thought they lived up NORTH!!!

read the edit and then go talk to the penguins or the guys who are at the antarctic station, or the guys who run the cruise ships down there or the people in australia that just watched a big o chunk o ice berg float by last week... gee guess that ones not melting and thawing down south

the magnetic poles are connected to both poles its a unified system

people use the same argument about the north 'oh it melts every year, nothings changed'

try questions, and logic and inference it work better than assuming... that your the only one that can read SOUTH

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
hmmm, talk to penguins hey?!!

As for the "chunk" of ice that supposedly floated by, I'm already down here & I didn't see or hear a thing! Something of that magnitude would have definately gotten the Minister for Climate Change-Penny Wrong on the telly & in the media saying "see, I told you I was right about global warming"!!! Sorry, didn't happen.

But its okay for you to believe that the ice is melting down here, I just don't see it as a disaster, especially since the ice melts down here at Antarctica every year in the summer----without fail! Wait till winter, it will freeze up again & you can bet you won't be hearing about that little "anomalie"!!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The government of Australia and others also seem to be concerned with the melting of the Antarctican ice sheet and are sugesting now that they would like to see worldwide reductions in CO2 emissions down to 450ppm or around a 20-25% reduction, they want to keep rising temperatures down to no more than a 2 degree worldwide rise, saying that a 50cm rise in ocean levels will affect up to 150 million people around the globe.
These reforms to be implemented up to the year 2020, will involve carbon tax also but hopefully might help with the global warming that seems to be getting worse with more polution being dumped into our atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
yes redgy, & that's because they are pushing the "global warming" barrow, which is looking more & more like a lie ( see other posts in here & check out Climate Change Gate on google & in Andrew Bolts blogs ). Even today they are still trying to push this agenda in parliament.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Look, for the AWG proponents out there, if you want people to shut up, just release ALL the data you have along with the methods you used to come to the conclusion that you have reached. It's really that simple.

Right now there is only deflection and name calling. Man when this CRU ordeal really gets moving and builds up a head of steam I will feel sorry for those guys. I honestly don't think any of this was intended to grow as big as it did.

What I believe happened was data and the scientific process became so botched, then throw in some government funding, some high profile politicians and business leaders, then throw in the thought of going down in history as the people that saved earth and humanity, that it became a quest of selfishness and self gratification.

It grew so big that a simple, sorry we screwed up and we really don't know what is happening, answer became out of the question because so much has been piled upon the shoulders of a few scientist. They lost their way and their mission became to prove that AGW was happening at all costs.

Sorry if I don't believe what the article states because there are TONS of variables that have been ignored or either suppressed for so long it is impossible to figure out what the hell is going on. Then add in the fact that the behavior of these scientist might have been going on for decades the whole method on which they built this data could be entirely false.

The opposition to AGW is a creation of the very people who set out to prove it right. It is a problem that they have caused and now that they have to deal with and the implications of the fall out from this are HUGE. If you want this to end, then release the ALL the data and all the Methods used to reach your conclusion, and open the topic up to debate by the very people you hate. That would be doing humanity the biggest favor of all. Then you will be truly working towards the goal that you claim to be working too. As it currently stands you are only working in your own self serving interest.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Even though all this might well be just another way to take another chunk of the populations hard earned money by taxing, I do think that reducing these emissions will help in whatever little way possible.
reducing the pollution levels from mining industries/coal burning especially to a safer level will only improve on health as well as air quality that these emissions effect in large areas of the country.
Will it all stop the supposed melting or rising temperatures around the world, mabe not but at least the air will be safer to breath for future generations and if it does make a difference then all will be better off in the long run. A win/win situation in my books anyway.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yes well we could all be a little cleaner & greener, but why not ask for it instead of an elaborate scam? Many of us already do "our bit" to help, because we want to. There's much more to ths whole thing than meets the eye, & its about $$$$ & control IMHO.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
maybe i'm not looking hard enough but the only 'scam' i see is these mega pollution making companies who don't always give a hoot about excessive amounts of waste thrown into the atmosphere and who are most to gain their $$$ figures.
there needs to be reform and control on these players to cut down and limit the amounts of waste products being produced by them and if the governments want to use 'global warming' as a reason to, good on them I say.
If it means spending money to find a better solution to figures or facts of these that could be affecting climate change, using alternate means of power, transport or energy usage worldwide. this will still all pay for itself in a number of years by using these alternates and can only be beneficial for the 'warming' debarcle and 'safety' of this planet.
Let's just all bury our heads in the sand and hope that there is nothing to this debate on wether 'warming' is really affecting this planet or trying out any other solutions that may or may not help in any way to reduce these emissions that are said to contribute to such 'warming'.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by prof-rabbit

This isn't the exact source that I quoted in my previous post, but this is something that sorta hits on what I'm saying.

www.sciencedirect.com...

I'm guessing that link didn't work.
I have never figured out how to shorten up links.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by JayinAR]

Perhaps you can quote just the title of the page, that should be enough for a Google search.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
I'm sure that my link didn't take you to the article I had pulled up. Even though it was at the site I posted.
I can't figure out how to shorten a link so that a specific sub-route of the site will code into what is acceptable here on this site...

So here is the snippet...

There is a better article here:

www.realclimate.org...

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   

hmmm, talk to penguins hey?!!

As for the "chunk" of ice that supposedly floated by, I'm already down here & I didn't see or hear a thing! Something of that magnitude would have definately gotten the Minister for Climate Change-Penny Wrong on the telly & in the media saying "see, I told you I was right about global warming"!!! Sorry, didn't happen.

Sorry, the "telly and media" you refer to are only interested in stories that capture ratings.

Iceberg alert in southern ocean as ice chunks float north toward New Zealand

By Associated Press

9:57 PM CST, November 23, 2009
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Ships in the south Pacific Ocean have been alerted that groups of icebergs believed to have split off Antarctic ice shelves are drifting north toward New Zealand, officials said Tuesday.

The alert comes three years after cold weather and favorable ocean currents saw dozens of icebergs float close to New Zealand's southern shores for the first time in 75 years.

Rodney Russ, expedition leader on the tourist ship Spirit of Enderby, spotted one iceberg Monday, 57 miles (92 kilometers) northeast of Macquarie Island and heading north — about 500 miles (800 kilometers) south of New Zealand.

The iceberg was up to 500 feet (150 meters) long and 80-90 feet (25-30 meters) high, he said. The vessel located another large iceberg on its radar and chunks of ice floating nearby, he added.

Four icebergs were spotted last week off Auckland Islands, 250 miles (400 kilometers) south of New Zealand and heading slowly toward the country.

Australian scientists reported another mass of 20 icebergs drifting north past Macquarie Island two weeks ago. Glaciologist Neal Young said satellite images showed the group of icebergs, spread over a sea area of 600 by 440 miles (1,000 kilometers by 700 kilometers), moving on ocean currents away from Antarctica.
end quote

www.wgntv.com...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join