It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica Melting FASTER!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
reply to post by thoughtsfull

What is AGW?

Sorry for the ignorance.

Anthropomorphic (man caused) Global Warming
And don't apologize for ignorance. You asked, and cured the ignorance.
BTW, if those who believe in AGW are wrong, we've spent some money. If those who deny it are wrong, we're dead. Do the research and pick a side.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I would like everyone to contemplate this: Do we as a human race really seem to be that highly evolved or we a little more than hairless monkeys fighting over toys.

I think of Rod Serlings Twilight zone pilot Planet of the Apes.

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on Mon Nov 23 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
duplicate post

[edit on Mon Nov 23 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by Britguy

]

This is all gw is, no one ever just tells the truth, and there always is contradictions, to the so called science to it.
'll go with the science. Yo can go with whatever is left - quackery or pseodoscientific woo.
I live at 47 feet MSL.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Maybe check this site out and then post again.
Thanks.

www.friendsofscience.org...

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The Pieri Reis Map shows the Antarctic with NO ICE at all on it and the world did not end!

Other Ancient Maps do the same!

They had No Cars, aeroplanes or so called instruments of global warming made by man that could explain this.

[edit on 23-11-2009 by Elliot]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
Its all lies all lies the antartica isnt melting........I wonder how long before someone posts a comment like this.......

Antartica is a landmass. Must be pretty hot to melt that rock. Everyone knows the Earths temps for the last +10 years has overall dropped.

Whizzing on my leg and telling me it's raining will not make clouds form nor the facts of TRUE science invalid.

The collusion of world progressives has been exposed. It's over. You can all stop lying now... it's just blah, blah, blah to those who can and do take the time to think and not just fall in line because the jack-boots order you to.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

Originally posted by Conclusion
reply to post by thoughtsfull

What is AGW?

Sorry for the ignorance.

Anthropomorphic (man caused) Global Warming
And don't apologize for ignorance. You asked, and cured the ignorance.
BTW, if those who believe in AGW are wrong, we've spent some money. If those who deny it are wrong, we're dead. Do the research and pick a side.

AGW is a fact right there next to all those sensors placed in cities, near building air vents, in median strips on highways (like here in CT). If those sensors did not read higher temps I'd get them checked or replaced. Wrong, dead wrong, to misrepresent TRUE science with fear mongering to push a political agenda to control the people of the world with carbon credits as $$$ instead of gold, dollars, yen, euros, etc.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whattheh

It seems kind of obvious why they use observational and gravity data to ESTIMATE the ice in Antarctica; they can't weigh it.

Changes in Gravity could be ice or water -- since strangely, ice can be less dense than water and float. But it can go above sea level.

Earlier thoughts that antarctica was growing -- were due to more ice area coverage. But it was later learned that it was spreading out and getting thing. Such is science.

So it is now believed that Antarctica is losing ice. With a continent sized area, they have to measure the thickness of the observable ice and use any data they can to estimate -- but it's still a lot of data to try and estimate and at best it will be imperfect.

>> So the wide range, if that's accurate, is because they can't really know how much ice there is at any given moment. And of course, it gets colder at times and it will gain a bit of ice, and then warmer currents will melt ice.

Doesn't sound like a conspiracy to me -- just that this is pretty tricky stuff.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tkwasny

Originally posted by loner007
Its all lies all lies the antartica isnt melting........I wonder how long before someone posts a comment like this.......

Antartica is a landmass. Must be pretty hot to melt that rock. Everyone knows the Earths temps for the last +10 years has overall dropped.

Whizzing on my leg and telling me it's raining will not make clouds form nor the facts of TRUE science invalid.

The collusion of world progressives has been exposed. It's over. You can all stop lying now... it's just blah, blah, blah to those who can and do take the time to think and not just fall in line because the jack-boots order you to.

Hmm. So you're comparing the Global Warming Denier integrity, which out of the gate was funded by Exxon and the Cox oil company in NJ (now they are more discreet) and they published a list of 500 scientists who were not climatologists and half of whom did not know they were on the list. Now, they are slicker -- but once I hear a liar, I'm always a doubter.

Now we compare this to people who spent an extra decade in school making good grades and having the kinds of minds that could have made much more on Wall Street -- but instead, they devoted themselves to Science. Sure, maybe you could bribe a couple thousand scientists. The Tobacco industry did it. But it's still a harder stretch unless the "Progressive Conspiracy" started about 30 years ago, and ONLY allowed their recruited agents of disinfo to become Climatologists.

The of course, there is this idea that some how, the lefty earth huggers and the UN are going to control the world with carbon taxes. You didn't notice we pay 56% of our Taxes on the military and that military has very expensive weapons yet that very industry is now doing joint ventures with China?

And stand in line behind the Banks. I think they already run things. Last year, 40% of ALL profits were made on Wall Street -- up until the crash.

I don't think the UN will get it until big Energy, Big War, and Big Banking are done spitting out the pieces.

>> For those of you who want almost EVERY talking point that you THINK throws doubt on Global Climate change answered CLICK HERE -- it's a pretty straightforward and easy to understand list.

The "earth has been getting cooler for the last 10 years" is really -- is explained that it's the hottest 50 years in human history, and these are the coolest 10 of the RECORD. You know when you see a trend graph? Sometimes those little lines go up and down -- it's part of the deviation.

If we had an alternative energy policy, we wouldn't need to be in Afghanistan building an oil pipeline (for a Peace -- a peace of the "Stan's" Oil). But, Oil is a great way to centralize power. If we went to solar and biofuel -- a million companies could sprout up and make a buck -- and we can't have people being independent of Big Energy, now can we?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well I guess it's time to trade in the fleet of hummers I was operating around the end of the ice age.....

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I might be chastised by my fellow ATS'ers for not re-posting the link, but just last year it was noted that sections of Antarctica are now currently experiencing their coldest temperatures in 1,200 years. I believe that I broke the story on here, but I simply do not feel like digging around looking for it at this moment. Part of the consequence related to this extreme cool down, came about in the form of frozen lakes completely drying up, and disappearing. Those who know about extreme cold, know that it causes dryness due to it's lowering of humidity levels, and allowable condensation, as a direct result. When temperatures reach extreme colds, they freeze all moisture particles, and thus you witness the dryness factor.

Also, there are currently multiple oceanographic expeditions studying the current patterns around Antarctica, and the effects that warmer/cooler cycles have on the portions of ice shelves which extend into the sea. A National Geographic from about 10 years ago even has the current cycle mapped out, and there are two warm segments separated by two cold segments in the pattern, all of which takes about eight years to cycle around the continent. In The Arctic, this cycles takes a little longer due to the basins, and coincidentally enough, the portion of the Arctic ice sheet which noticed more of a loss the past few years, does in fact correspond with the present location of the warm current segment (In the Canada Basin).

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Forget all of the hyperbole, ask yourself 3 really relevant questions:
1) If the global warming crowd is to be believed, how do they know what the correct, or proper temperature of the Earth is or should be?
2) Should the global warming believers be correct in their assessment that mankind is a plague on the planet, why do they care that so many of us may be wiped out?
3) If, as many of the environmenatists believe, that we can't fix what is currently wrong with the environment, how could we be responsible for something we can't reverse?
I could continue, but I would hope that my concerns for the apparent disingenuous practices of the extreme faction of the "green" movement are seen.
Personally, I do as I was taught in the 70's, "Think Globally, Act Locally".
Peace and Green thoughts.
LC

[edit on 11/23/2009 by LAUGHING-CAT]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Antarctica mets every year! Its called SUMMER!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Oh feh.. it's just the world dying.. who cares?

I cannot wrap my mind around the idea that "Well, we MAY not be causing it, so let's not worry about it." What an incredibly irresponsible way to think.

"oh.. this happens every 20 thousands years or so.. no biggie!"

Yea.. right.. we just happen to be in this period now.. during the industrial revolution on onwards. What an astounding coincidence! Let's ignore the facts, it's more convenient to just keep living as we are. Even though there are lakes warming up some 6 thousands years early. Can't be us.. nope!

I work for a large environmental firm. If there is one thing I've noticed in the time I've been there, it's how even very small things we do as humans, have a huge impact on the natural environment. And how easily people ignore these things. Ignoring the obvious seems like the norm. I see it here all the time.

Example: My company does a LOT of work both for the federal and commercial sectors, that involves cleaning up messes created in the 50 and 60s. The things we dumped, buried, used for construction, and how we handled our waste was so irresponsible, it boggles the mind. The military did it. Commercial companies did it. 40 to 60 years later, we've realized what a negative impact it had on the environment, and companies like the one I work for, constantly are trying to restore all the damage done.

And yet... amazingly, it still happens today. And people think the entire climate change is a personal agenda of Al Gore, to make him money. Just blows my mind.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!! Or your kids won't have a place to call home.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is what would and is supposed to happen if the melting gets to a certain point, Its part of a cycle, like a paper towel with weight on it, with a small tear , that paper towel will continue to stretch and stretch, until the tear is o a set path to fully rip in half.

Our ice on this planet is the same way, by ice melting giving way to ocean surfaces, which are not white and reflective the sun will be able to heat up that once reflective surface to a degree where more and more ice will melt oepning more and more space for the sun to heat up.

just like In Day After Tomorrow. Now we have normal wear and tear on our ice shelves, But someday ( soon?) this balance will be overturned and the cyclke will come to a end/beginning point of its cycle.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Blah, blah, blah...
Manmade global warming is a farce. It is nonexistant.

This is a ruse to tax you. Nothing more.
Someone else mentioned it earlier, we have maps showing Antactica devoid of ice along the coast. This is a natural cycle.

I also found it quite amusing that Al Gore decided to be a guest on SNL to promote his bunk science.
The Weekend Update skit was appalling. "I guess I could show pictures of Mt. Killamanjaro...oh wait, I've already done that" (we should all bow to the technological savvy that is Al Gore, inventor of the internet
). If he says that Killamanjaro is melting then we should give him our tax money. Nevermind the fact that his electric bill at his personal house equals about 3,500 USD per month.

The smug little smile he had when the skit was over made me want to hurt someone. It was more aptly read as "Thanks Seth for allowing me a platform to further my goal of taxing your children into utter poverty."
And Seth Myers' look was one of awe "Oh my GOSH, I can't believe I was just sitting next to Al Gore!!!!"

Simple fact is that rock weathering is responsible for more than 90% of carbon emisssions into the Earth's atmosphere. Mankind is negligible in almost every respect regarding Earth's sustainability as a planet that has been in existance for 4 billion years.

We are arrogant beyond all comprehension. I can't believe people buy this crap.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

And yet... amazingly, it still happens today. And people think the entire climate change is a personal agenda of Al Gore, to make him money. Just blows my mind.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!! Or your kids won't have a place to call home.

And here is the dilemma, on one side we have the "who cares" crowd and on the other another doomsday group.

Can we not agree that what ever the cycle the Earth is in man is making things worse? Why should our children and grandchildren miss out on oil, trees, cars and all those things we take for granted? Is it ok to exploit third world countries so long as we get their oil?

America has 6% of the worlds population yet uses 25% of the world's nett energy daily.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

Simple fact is that rock weathering is responsible for more than 90% of carbon emisssions into the Earth's atmosphere.

Would you please quote your data stream.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
whether or not is global warming is irrelevant... The symptoms are still present.

So why argue what color the bullet is, that's speeding towards your head. Why not figure the course of action to take.

So little time, so long the lines are

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join