It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica Melting FASTER!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Eye of Horus

Nicely said.
For some reason that reminds of the Mayan's and how they believed that cycles are repeated for the earth.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

What is AGW?

Sorry for the ignorance.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

I agreen with you a lot of your points, however from my perspective it's the element of blame that is causing a lot of friction.. Along with what appears to be a lack of transpatency..

I've interpreted and implemented EU enviromental directives, granted only in 9 member states, take the WEEE directives that only really deal with heavy metal... implementing them in real life the solutions appear to move the issue from burying the metals of poisoning the land to smelting the goods and poisoning the atmosphere..

As a project manager, I like to succesfully deliver, so I got out of that as I felt I was not actually doing anything productive, not being sucesful and just moving the issue, which for me was no resolution to the problem.. I live in a port town and understand all to well what the impact would be..

and that is where I feel the problem lies.. in the way global warming has been spun by governments and the coporate world.. each day it appears to be turing more into a money making scheme than saving the world..

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Just got the Graham Hancock book, Underworld" about many of the undersea cities around the world on what was once low lying land before the last ice age melt 12 - 13000 years ago. Very interesting stuff.

Another aspect I never see taken much into account by the AGW proponents is the effect of land based and undersea volcanoes, thermal vents etc and the effect they are having. After all, they are pumping out gases, heating water etc, 24x7x365 days a year, decade after decade.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Larryman

Nice question!

That would be good research. Find out the weight distribution and find the wave length.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Thats interesting, I just read something that said the ice in Antarctica was building up faster than it was breaking off...

Would be nice if there was someone to verify what is happening for sure whose hand is not in the global warming cookie jar.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

That would be indictive in the changes of the ocean's average temperature.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   

I have read other articles too regarding Vents in the Arctic. I have seen the Volcano Idea pop up.
I often wonder what the geo thermal out put would have to be to account for the warming trend that we have observed over recent Decades.
If these volcanoes are responsible then they would have to be responsible for the warming of the GLOBE, that is being observed.
I would imagine that that amount of warming from Under sea Volcanoes would have to be huge in order to achieve this, would it not?

These Volcanoes could aid regional melts if they are active still(article is from 2004).

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

I think that would be to much to ask.

Oh well. The research must go on.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

So WHY did you post this thread?

To bash anyone who does not bow down to you and say how right you are?

Go back and reasd your responses to my post. You are a rude sarcastic individual who clearly has your mind made up already.

If you can not see where they contradict themsleves in the artivcel (if you even read it) you are blind.

How did the ice age melt in the first place? We were not spewing green house gasses back then.

Yes they are perpetrating a fraud and you are helping them.

Go back to your scientifc website to spread your lies, we have enough of that here.

Which one of the scientists from the leaked e-mails are you?

That was taken out of context. That is the big out when you folks are busted huh?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I agreen with you a lot of your points, however from my perspective it's the element of blame that is causing a lot of friction.. Along with what appears to be a lack of transpatency..
The reason for the conflict is that change is needed, or suggested by the science that has come to accept that Humans are effecting climate change. This change then becomes a matter of political and economical policy, which are rarely transparent, simple, or even effective.
I think this is were the debate gets Blurred.
The science becomes political. Political and Economic agendas are inferred, imagined or in fact hidden.

I've interpreted and implemented EU enviromental directives, granted only in 9 member states, take the WEEE directives that only really deal with heavy metal... implementing them in real life the solutions appear to move the issue from burying the metals of poisoning the land to smelting the goods and poisoning the atmosphere..

As a project manager, I like to succesfully deliver, so I got out of that as I felt I was not actually doing anything productive, not being sucesful and just moving the issue, which for me was no resolution to the problem.. I live in a port town and understand all to well what the impact would be..
Which is why the issue is so much more than a bunch of scientist telling us what the research and evidence is showing them. Fear is a great component in these debates, as you mention, one side highliting the extreme examples of what climate change may do to s and others promoting economic fears, taxes, loss of jobs, Govt. Control, the Personal agendas of Individuals(like Gore etc), Hoax and Scam Conspiracies and the Like.

and that is where I feel the problem lies.. in the way global warming has been spun by governments and the coporate world.. each day it appears to be turing more into a money making scheme than saving the world..
Yes it has. I feel some times people have lumped science in with Politicians and Corporations.
I do not agree with the Govt. Ideas of Taxes, cap and trade, exemptions and subsidies for sectors and industries at cost to the tax payer etc, but that does not make any of the scientists who believe we are effecting the world wrong.

[edit on 23/11/09 by atlasastro]

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Take a look to East Antarctica, too.

According to a recent study by scientists at the University of Texas, East Antarctica’s ice has started melting at a faster rate since 2006 which could do some serious destruction to the sea level

Grace Satelite SHows Loss In East Antarctica

Hope you don't mind. I thought I would contribute here instead of a new thread.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by whattheh

So WHY did you post this thread?

To bash anyone who does not bow down to you and say how right you are?
Why did you reply. Just to bash people that don't agree with you.

Go back and reasd your responses to my post. You are a rude sarcastic individual who clearly has your mind made up already.
Why would I need to read what I wrote? I wrote it!
You appears to be someone who has already made up your mind regarding who I am.

If you can not see where they contradict themsleves in the artivcel (if you even read it) you are blind.

How did the ice age melt in the first place? We were not spewing green house gasses back then.
We were not there back then. Which is why scientist think we are effecting it NOW. Can you show were in the past records we exist like we do today so as to ignore humanity and its activity.
Alot of past records( thousands and thousands of years) were gained from ICE CORE DATA from Antarctica. That ICE is the ice they now think is disappearing faster now. That is; the record we have that shows past warming trends is disappearing faster and will totally disappear if these scientist are right.

Yes they are perpetrating a fraud and you are helping them.
You are perpetrating a fraud that they are perpetrating a fraud and that I am helping them.

Go back to your scientifc website to spread your lies, we have enough of that here.

Which one of the scientists from the leaked e-mails are you?

The last refuge of the desperate. Now I am in on it too.
Thanks for the laugh.

That was taken out of context. That is the big out when you folks are busted huh?

What was taken out of context.
You don't have any context.
Just rambling.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Thanks for you input mate.
The more the merrier.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Yes, you probably did.
Earlier articles I read this year had given the impression that the Antarctic was stable.
But this new study has change that perception.
Some Australian Studies I read using Acoustic Sensors that listened to Ice breaks had given a perception of Stability that was then interpreted as meaning that climate change was not effecting the Antarctic, but this does not reflect Mass or Volume the way GRACE does.

It is amazing the ways people are trying to find out what is happening.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
No doubt the arguments for or against mankind's involvement in rising sea levels, rising mean temperatures ala Gore (et al) are going to increase as the date for the Copenhagen Conference draws ever nearer.

Tim Flannery, who is Chairman to the event, has written a book with the 'not-so-subtle' title of Now or Never.

Related:

www.theglobeandmail.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What would be really interesting, during the run-up to this conference, is a serious debate about the issue without it devolving into ad hominems and weak science. What are the facts and what, if anything, can we do about it?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

What are the facts and what, if anything, can we do about it?

I am not really sold on human activity causing any of this. I'm a science educated person, but I don't need any of that to understand something is truly going on. I agree with all of your statements. Stop pointing fingers and have a rational, friendly discussion about what is actually being observed. I think if no one was trying to tax us for what we might be causing, there would not be too many people screaming foul.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thank You for your reply.

I just watched Tim Flannery on the ABC here in Australia.
He discusses Copenhagen and the Hadley Hack Scandal.

It is interesting that you mention the discussion of the Facts etc.
As Tim Flannery seems to feel the Facts are clearly there and that they represent real AGW and Climate Change.
www.abc.net.au...
You can find the 14 minute interview here. There is also another segment dedicated to the Hadley hack.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
I am not really sold on human activity causing any of this. I'm a science educated person, but I don't need any of that to understand something is truly going on.

That is the attitude I also have. To understand what is prompting either side of the debate, it's important that statements are backed up by sound science and not knee-jerk reactions to issues such as taxes.

To me, there are two questions that require answers first:

*Is there a discernable rise in sea level?
    *Is there a distinct rise in mean temperatures worldwide?

What will be the results of continued elevations to the conditions mentioned above?

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Antarctica loses ice from east as well as west, scientists say

Antarctica is losing ice from its larger eastern side as well as the western part, an indication the southernmost continent may add “significantly more” to rising seas, researchers in Texas said.

Here is another article putting everything in perspective. We know it's melting.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join