It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious all along

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Patient trapped in a 23-year 'coma' was conscious all along

www.dailymail.co.uk

A man thought by doctors to be in a vegetative state for 23 years was actually conscious the whole time, it was revealed last night.

Student Rom Houben was misdiagnosed after a car crash left him totally paralysed.
He had no way of letting experts, family or friends know he could hear every word they said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit: to fix link

[edit on 22 Nov 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm very suprised that he was fully aware of what was going on and had no way of contacting the doctors/his family that he was mentally fine.

It's a miracle he did not go insane after being in a 'live comatose' state for 20 or so years and retain a healthy mind.

I know I would of broke the first 6 months.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

mod edit: to fix link

[edit on 22 Nov 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
That's hard to believe... I mean, even if he was totally paralysed, he could still signal through blinking, eye movements, or with his tongue. You would also think in 23 years he would have figured out how to tap his finger on his own if he can do it now with only a short amount of therapy. I don't know..

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
That's hard to believe... I mean, even if he was totally paralysed, he could still signal through blinking, eye movements, or with his tongue. You would also think in 23 years he would have figured out how to tap his finger on his own if he can do it now with only a short amount of therapy. I don't know..

If you properly reaad the article, the doctors/nurses kept misdiagnosing him.

top topics

join